• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    You’re about 40% correct. Yay.

- it implies other types or development and skills are immaterial
    - it implies the kids will lack flexibility to play in a different system
    - it assumes this style is superior to other styles of soccer which are dominant on men’s side

Next, this style helps you win against bad teams. What happens when this style is used against a technical team (even a year younger?) - you no longer win. And it’s a hot day in Florida. And the game can be seen by anyone on YouTube.
    Damn, way to rub salt into PDAs game vs Barca....

For all the people who haven't seen it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN94aS0q0To

Comment

Route 1 style isn't bad if it works and if the players are capable of adapting when it doesn't. This idea that only goals that come from 10 passes should count is insane. I like to see some tiki taka as much as anyone but it usually only works when there's also a threat of a 40 yard ball over the top as well.
      I think it is more of when you have teams that just continually bomb from the back field and the mids rarely touch the ball that things look bad. Watched some of the GA matches and a few teams from Jersey looked to try to hit the striker sitting on the back defender for a fast break away a little to often. To me, that isn't soccer, sure you can score a lot off a weaker team but it wasn't flying against the better teams.

Comment

There are also parents who have played D1 soccer and unlike you, recognize the mess that is youth soccer.

Broad statements about who are critics make you look intellectually stunted.
        I played D1 soccer over 20 years ago and have seen many cycles of Youth soccer with my kids who have gone on to play in college as well. It’s the same arguments now as it was then. Nothing has changed except for the growth and explosion of the women’s game. It has always been a mess and will continue to be a mess because everyone is an expert including parents. What has brought this to where we are today is all the choices and leagues to choose from. It’s absolutely crazy that anyone can start a new league. When US Soccer tried to take control with GDA it was a disaster by egos of soccer administrators whose arrogance destroyed a good concept. ECNL will remain the “measuring stick” of leagues because of their competitiveness and the highest rated clubs in the country taking part in it’s administration. Their tournaments/showcases are a must for those players who want to play in college or beyond. The mess of Youth soccer is manageable and could easily be navigated by parents/players who are realistic about their talent. Parents like above would find fault regardless of the state of youth soccer.

Comment

You’re about 40% correct. Yay.

- it implies other types or development and skills are immaterial
          - it implies the kids will lack flexibility to play in a different system
          - it assumes this style is superior to other styles of soccer which are dominant on men’s side

Next, this style helps you win against bad teams. What happens when this style is used against a technical team (even a year younger?) - you no longer win. And it’s a hot day in Florida. And the game can be seen by anyone on YouTube.
          Don't be silly...it only implies these things to the people who want it to imply these things.

Comment

I think it is more of when you have teams that just continually bomb from the back field and the mids rarely touch the ball that things look bad. Watched some of the GA matches and a few teams from Jersey looked to try to hit the striker sitting on the back defender for a fast break away a little to often. To me, that isn't soccer, sure you can score a lot off a weaker team but it wasn't flying against the better teams.
            I've watched a lot of ECNL games over the years, and I have yet to see even one game where teams "continually bomb from the back field and the kids rarely touch the ball".

Comment

There are also parents who have played D1 soccer and unlike you, recognize the mess that is youth soccer.

Broad statements about who are critics make you look intellectually stunted.
              Much of what ails youth soccer is not enough parents know the game or played at a higher level. They're poor judges of coaching talent so they use win/loss records as a proxy for coaching ability

Comment

Sure

Whatever style is played, it’s still soccer. If playing direct helps you win, why is it wrong?
                I would rather lose playing futbol than win playing football.

I love my kids but I have lost all interest in watching the games the level of play is so bad. I am amazed that parents who didn't play soccer 35 years ago somehow were able to impart the important aspects of the game when all the "experts" around today don't seem to be able to teach kids how to trap or pass.

Any one else hear of something called your first touch? If a player can't pass a ball to themselves so to speak than how can anyone expect you to be able to pass to a teammate?

Comment

I've watched a lot of ECNL games over the years, and I have yet to see even one game where teams "continually bomb from the back field and the kids rarely touch the ball".
                  Have you seen Match Fit play vs PDA? Morris County bombers.

Comment

Sure

You clearly are a victim of the heat. Drink lots of fluids and check back.

Comment

Very basic - https://youthsoccerrankings.us/ - PDA South and White are still top 10 teams in most age groups.

Bloated rosters? I counted Souths and they had between 17-21 players most at 19 which is 3 less then the precious Real teams. Doesn't seem to matter what league you play in but 18-20 at the HS ages seems about standard.
                      These are just as bad as Got Soccer

PDA regional ranked above White. The eye don't lie White and South could be top 10 depending on age group but if you believe the PDA hype shouldn't they be #'s 1-3.

Comment

Damn, way to rub salt into PDAs game vs Barca....

For all the people who haven't seen it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN94aS0q0To
                        What a beautiful game.

Every kid and every parent should watch it to learn how good first touch, ability to move and pass, confidence in a tight situation can actually beat a team that is faster and stronger and 1 year older.

My kid plays on PDA and she was watching it online as it happened. It was a good lesson for the future.

Comment

These are just as bad as Got Soccer
                          YSR is the best unfiltered view. There are some flaws:
                          - the teams that go under different names and are not merged,
                          - teams that play in a closed off league,
                          - blow-out games tend to skew the ranking

PDA regional ranked above White. The eye don't lie White and South could be top 10 depending on age group but if you believe the PDA hype shouldn't they be #'s 1-3.
                          I'm not sure, but I believe that PDA Blue RL is Shore. And they have a certain level of consistency (and sent teams to Open Cup). OTOH, White and South vary greatly between age groups.

Comment

What a beautiful game.

Every kid and every parent should watch it to learn how good first touch, ability to move and pass, confidence in a tight situation can actually beat a team that is faster and stronger and 1 year older.

My kid plays on PDA and she was watching it online as it happened. It was a good lesson for the future.
                            Great technical soccer (especially ticqui-taca) will usually beat strong, physical, and aggressive play.

Comment

I would rather lose playing futbol than win playing football.

I love my kids but I have lost all interest in watching the games the level of play is so bad. I am amazed that parents who didn't play soccer 35 years ago somehow were able to impart the important aspects of the game when all the "experts" around today don't seem to be able to teach kids how to trap or pass.

Any one else hear of something called your first touch? If a player can't pass a ball to themselves so to speak than how can anyone expect you to be able to pass to a teammate?
                              Your kid's team must be bad if the players don't have a good first touch. Plenty of teams in NJ at U15 and above with good first touch under pressure. If anything, the complaint I have about the play at these "academies" is that the players dribble too much (they dribble until a defender is on them and it's too late to make a clean pass) because they are too focused on trying to impress the college scouts.

Comment

Have you seen Match Fit play vs PDA? Morris County bombers.
                                My kid plays for a different ECNL club, so they've played against both Match Fit and PDA teams. The best players on those teams tends to be the center midfielder, so the teams focus a lot on playing thru them.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X