X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moultrie At It Again

Remember her?

Fifteen-year-old Olivia Moultrie is suing the National Women's Soccer League on anti-trust grounds over its refusal to allow her to play because of her age.

The NWSL requires players to be at least 18 years of age in order to play. The suit, filed in U.S. District Court in Portland, Oregon, alleges that by refusing to allow Moultrie to play, the NWSL is violating the Sherman Antitrust Act.

I wish I had a better sense of how good she actually is in the overall landscape.

What's striking is how differently she had handled herself compared to AS. Other than the SI Kids stuff, it's almost impossible to find clips, film, social media from or about AS which is notable for someone who was the #1 ranked girls prospect for the Class of 2022 and then Class of 2021 (after reclassification) and has been playing 2 years up on the YNT.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I wish I had a better sense of how good she actually is in the overall landscape.

What's striking is how differently she had handled herself compared to AS. Other than the SI Kids stuff, it's almost impossible to find clips, film, social media from or about AS which is notable for someone who was the #1 ranked girls prospect for the Class of 2022 and then Class of 2021 (after reclassification) and has been playing 2 years up on the YNT.
      I’ve only seen highlights, but Moultrie seems very good. The difference with AS is probably more a parenting one, but it seems like she/parents are pressing more for a pro career with richer endorsements instead of the traditional college/YNT track AS is probably on. It sounds like she wants to bypass college entirely. I’m not clear on why NWSL has this requirement to be 18 to play. I believe boys can join USL/MLS teams before 18. Outside the US, it’s allowed for 14 and up to play on pro teams, including on full national teams. It doesn’t happen all the time, but certainly allowed.

Comment

I’ve only seen highlights, but Moultrie seems very good. The difference with AS is probably more a parenting one, but it seems like she/parents are pressing more for a pro career with richer endorsements instead of the traditional college/YNT track AS is probably on. It sounds like she wants to bypass college entirely. I’m not clear on why NWSL has this requirement to be 18 to play. I believe boys can join USL/MLS teams before 18. Outside the US, it’s allowed for 14 and up to play on pro teams, including on full national teams. It doesn’t happen all the time, but certainly allowed.
        Definitely bypassing college. She already signed commercial agreements.

Comment

Definitely bypassing college. She already signed commercial agreements.
          You’re right. Crazy thing about this rule is she can play up on the Thorns senior team from their Academy, but can’t sign a pro contract.
          https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ore...outputType=amp

Comment

Yeah, so throw her into an all adult environment and the grind of playing pro? Sounds like a recipe for a disaster. I don't know about boys' ability to go pro younger but I've absolutely no issue with kids having to wait until they are 18, let alone ones with over involved super pushy parents. Plus, she's pushing for NWSL FFS. She's not going to be making much of anything when she's that young and very unproven.

Comment

The dad ruined her. Yes she is very good now, but who the heck knows. If he didn’t work for Nike and leverage a marketing campaign for her, she could have gone to UNC and had a great education and if soccer was her calling, go and get it. Now...gone

Comment

The dad ruined her. Yes she is very good now, but who the heck knows. If he didn’t work for Nike and leverage a marketing campaign for her, she could have gone to UNC and had a great education and if soccer was her calling, go and get it. Now...gone
                Different strokes for different folks. Probably a large % of college student-athletes are just there because of the sport and not the education. There are plenty of people, athlete or not, with degrees in crappy majors that don’t earn much. I don’t yell at pro athletes on TV about why they didn’t become a doctor or lawyer.

Comment

Anyone remember Freddy Adu? Let the kid be a kid and develop appropriately, the accolades and pros will be there.

Comment

Anyone remember Freddy Adu? Let the kid be a kid and develop appropriately, the accolades and pros will be there.
                    Last I remembered Adu was doing good at Philly Union. Just googled and he was playing over in Europe until recently. He’s 31 still playing so what’s your point? I don’t know is more kid-like than playing soccer. Most kids don’t beg to go to school.

Comment

Last I remembered Adu was doing good at Philly Union. Just googled and he was playing over in Europe until recently. He’s 31 still playing so what’s your point? I don’t know is more kid-like than playing soccer. Most kids don’t beg to go to school.
                      He has stayed involved, but at levels far below potential, the most dangerous word in the world for a young athlete

Comment

Different strokes for different folks. Probably a large % of college student-athletes are just there because of the sport and not the education. There are plenty of people, athlete or not, with degrees in crappy majors that don’t earn much. I don’t yell at pro athletes on TV about why they didn’t become a doctor or lawyer.
                        If she's "that" good she'd go to school for free, have NT opportunities and play pro post college. It's different on the women's side - for men if you truly are a pro prospect you need to get into the pros asap (but preferably start post high school). College soccer is like HS soccer on steroids so male players slogging away in that environment won't develop at the same pace as pros. For the women's side it's different - so is the available

Comment

My understanding is the family can afford college. But whether or not she can stay at the top is the question. They moved out of SoCal so she'd stand out more in a smaller environment. Yes she's a good teenage player but to play professionally? Different animal.

I'm blanking on her name but a few years ago another very hot player walked away from a UCLA spot, likely 80%+ free, to go pro where she's done "ok" not great.

Comment

My understanding is the family can afford college. But whether or not she can stay at the top is the question. They moved out of SoCal so she'd stand out more in a smaller environment. Yes she's a good teenage player but to play professionally? Different animal.

I'm blanking on her name but a few years ago another very hot player walked away from a UCLA spot, likely 80%+ free, to go pro where she's done "ok" not great.
                            Pugh. And she can’t make the NT now these days.

Comment

If she's "that" good she'd go to school for free, have NT opportunities and play pro post college. It's different on the women's side - for men if you truly are a pro prospect you need to get into the pros asap (but preferably start post high school). College soccer is like HS soccer on steroids so male players slogging away in that environment won't develop at the same pace as pros. For the women's side it's different - so is the available
                              If it’s fine for boys/men, then why not for girls/women? There shouldn’t be two sets of rules based on sex. College soccer may be like HS soccer on steroids as you say but it isn’t pro soccer. A pro path is different and it’s been denied to women by men who think they know what’s better for them. It’s some form of chivalry to re-direct them onto the recreational pathway that college soccer is.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X