Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Thanks for the sanctimonious lecture. It is really a market analysis question. There is a big enough population of players at several clubs to warrant more than two ECNL clubs in this region. To keep a couple clubs out because of a stranglehold by the two (or three if you count FC Stars Blue and White) owners of the license in the area will ultimately stunt competition and lead to a worse product for the parent organization. As it stands today, the ECNL teams in the region are sometimes the strongest (See FC Stars) and sometimes not very competitive at all (see Scorpions). Releasing a couple of more licenses in the market would not only lead to a better product on the field because of improved competition, but also allow JD to make his product even better so that he can charge more (because there is a limit to the growth that even he can go after if the market stays static).

I get the situation and understand the strategy, I just think it’s pretty short sighted from a business perspective.
    Well soccer club owners don't have Wharton MBAs, so there's that

Comment

The ECNL board cringes when LLs name is mentioned. The GAL board can’t stand her. It has nothing to do with her being a ‘strong’ female. She can’t understand that it’s not ok to talk to people the way she does. She hung up on the last GAL meeting when her club didn’t get votes to run the NE. If she just let the teams do the talking she might get somewhere. Will never happen.

Comment

Unfortunately, your entire analysis is misguided and wrong. So you have that going for you, which is nice!

Comment

Thanks for the sanctimonious lecture. It is really a market analysis question. There is a big enough population of players at several clubs to warrant more than two ECNL clubs in this region. To keep a couple clubs out because of a stranglehold by the two (or three if you count FC Stars Blue and White) owners of the license in the area will ultimately stunt competition and lead to a worse product for the parent organization. As it stands today, the ECNL teams in the region are sometimes the strongest (See FC Stars) and sometimes not very competitive at all (see Scorpions). Releasing a couple of more licenses in the market would not only lead to a better product on the field because of improved competition, but also allow JD to make his product even better so that he can charge more (because there is a limit to the growth that even he can go after if the market stays static).

I get the situation and understand the strategy, I just think it’s pretty short sighted from a business perspective.
          I have found over many years in business people generally know what is in their best interest and will act accordingly. Stars and scorpions know long term it is not in their interest to let anyone else into ECNL in the region. The patriots do not want another nfl team in new england and the red sox do not want another baseball team in boston. This is much smaller scale, but no different.

Again, you can make the case it is not fair, good players are being left behind, etc. But that has nothing to do with how the scorps and stars will protect their interests. They are not stupid.

Comment

Unfortunately, your entire analysis is misguided and wrong. So you have that going for you, which is nice!
            How so? She does well at controlling the minions of the INPL. Beyond that she’s ridiculed.

Comment

I have found over many years in business people generally know what is in their best interest and will act accordingly. Stars and scorpions know long term it is not in their interest to let anyone else into ECNL in the region. The patriots do not want another nfl team in new england and the red sox do not want another baseball team in boston. This is much smaller scale, but no different.

Again, you can make the case it is not fair, good players are being left behind, etc. But that has nothing to do with how the scorps and stars will protect their interests. They are not stupid.
              Good players are fine. If you font play ecnl you’re not being left behind. To be that end, a handful of nefc snd SSS players are nt candidates. If they were bring left behind they wouldn’t even be considered. Nice try

Comment

Good players are fine. If you font play ecnl you’re not being left behind. To be that end, a handful of nefc snd SSS players are nt candidates. If they were bring left behind they wouldn’t even be considered. Nice try
                No nice try about it. I agree with what you said. I am sure there are great players outside ECNL. Just do not come on here and say stars and scorps are not acting in their own long term best interest. It is obvious they use the encl badge to limit competition and try to funnel the top talent into their clubs. Some people believe it works - I think most people. ECNL has a long track record. They may not get all the top talent, but I think fair to say a large majority. Others think ECNL is big con-job. Either way, if you can make the teams, you have your choices.

Comment

No nice try about it. I agree with what you said. I am sure there are great players outside ECNL. Just do not come on here and say stars and scorps are not acting in their own long term best interest. It is obvious they use the encl badge to limit competition and try to funnel the top talent into their clubs. Some people believe it works - I think most people. ECNL has a long track record. They may not get all the top talent, but I think fair to say a large majority. Others think ECNL is big con-job. Either way, if you can make the teams, you have your choices.
                  Fair...If I were stars or scored I wouldn’t let other clubs in either. The ONLY pathway gets tired though.

Comment

“As it stands today, the ECNL teams in the region are sometimes the strongest (See FC Stars) and sometimes not very competitive at all (see Scorpions). “

Umm...not sure where you get your info but Stars Blue is ranked like #9 or 10 in Northeast Conference of ECNL...Scorpions was 4 and FC Stars White was #7 or #8. Seems like Scorps is the more “competitive” and “strongest” team. Not sure if current standings but Blue is definitely not up there.

Comment

Well soccer club owners don't have Wharton MBAs, so there's that
                      I’m pretty sure one of them has an MBA and it’s not JD. Just sayin...

Comment

The ECNL board cringes when LLs name is mentioned. The GAL board can’t stand her. It has nothing to do with her being a ‘strong’ female. She can’t understand that it’s not ok to talk to people the way she does. She hung up on the last GAL meeting when her club didn’t get votes to run the NE. If she just let the teams do the talking she might get somewhere. Will never happen.
                        You cant be saying this about LL. Select disciples will get very defensive that you are bad mouthing their messiah!!! Whatever LL says is gospel to select parents.

Comment

“As it stands today, the ECNL teams in the region are sometimes the strongest (See FC Stars) and sometimes not very competitive at all (see Scorpions). “

Umm...not sure where you get your info but Stars Blue is ranked like #9 or 10 in Northeast Conference of ECNL...Scorpions was 4 and FC Stars White was #7 or #8. Seems like Scorps is the more “competitive” and “strongest” team. Not sure if current standings but Blue is definitely not up there.
                          Look at more than one age group.
                          Exceptions like u17s where White is better, but 18/19s and 16s are all leading in standings
                          As for middle school teams, that’s the best time, enjoy it, but expect those rosters to change

Comment

You cant be saying this about LL. Select disciples will get very defensive that you are bad mouthing their messiah!!! Whatever LL says is gospel to select parents.
                            Congratulations to the following South Shore Select IMPACT NPL Teams:

U-13
                            3-11 record

U-14
                            4-10 record

U-15
                            3-3 record

U-16
                            4-9-1 record

by my calculations south Shore Select went....... 14-33-1 in IMPACT NPL

select that's in IMPACT NPL. A league you run. 14 wins 33 losses and 1 tie.

Forget getting into ECNL. How about fixing IMPACT NPL 1st!!

Comment

I don't know where you got your MBA from, but perhaps you should demand a refund for your Business Analysis course.

An argument can be made that 3 ECNL teams from the MA area is already too much. The back end of the current rosters are not the "elite" players that the league is trying to sell to colleges. Adding more will only serve to dilute the talent further.

As for the argument that more competition will make the product at Stars/Scorpions better - that's very weak stuff. Yes, JD would have to work even harder to develop a product that would compel families to drive past Mendon to get to Lancaster, but there's an enormous risk that a bad year or two (or perhaps a couple of great players and a great coach) could pull players away from Stars. Why would any astute business person allow that kind of risk to emerge, especially if he can virtually guarantee a competitive advantage by keeping the league more exclusive?

It would certainly give consumers more choice, and more leverage over Stars/Scorpions. But what's "good" for the market is often times not good for the individual businesses involved. If you'd like, I can give you my address and you can mail me a check for the $3999 you spent on your lousy business analysis course...

Comment

You are arguing that all the top level talent can and do join the 3 ECNL teams? And that everyone not on those 3 teams are then, by definition, lesser quality? Pretty sure that won't hold up to even quick sit-and-think. Then you can review the rest of your BS posturing.

We have a bunch of clubs trying to bend the market to their benefit. I suspect this also happens in other states but don't have the details to say that for sure. (shocking that someone on TS wouldn't pretend to know everything)

I don't know where you got your MBA from, but perhaps you should demand a refund for your Business Analysis course.

An argument can be made that 3 ECNL teams from the MA area is already too much. The back end of the current rosters are not the "elite" players that the league is trying to sell to colleges. Adding more will only serve to dilute the talent further.

As for the argument that more competition will make the product at Stars/Scorpions better - that's very weak stuff. Yes, JD would have to work even harder to develop a product that would compel families to drive past Mendon to get to Lancaster, but there's an enormous risk that a bad year or two (or perhaps a couple of great players and a great coach) could pull players away from Stars. Why would any astute business person allow that kind of risk to emerge, especially if he can virtually guarantee a competitive advantage by keeping the league more exclusive?

It would certainly give consumers more choice, and more leverage over Stars/Scorpions. But what's "good" for the market is often times not good for the individual businesses involved. If you'd like, I can give you my address and you can mail me a check for the $3999 you spent on your lousy business analysis course...

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X