Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thorns Academy is a joke

If you are considering joining the Thorns Academy I would strongly recommend you reconsider.

It is an over priced mess no of a club. Terrible development and coaching. Mainly just scrimmage practices with coaches watching. They treat the girls like a commodity vs. actually trying to develop them into good athletes and more importantly good people. They are all about money....all sales tactics and no substance.

There aren’t many options out their, but almost all are better than this organization. Trust me on this.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    If you are considering joining the Thorns Academy I would strongly recommend you reconsider.

It is an over priced mess no of a club. Terrible development and coaching. Mainly just scrimmage practices with coaches watching. They treat the girls like a commodity vs. actually trying to develop them into good athletes and more importantly good people. They are all about money....all sales tactics and no substance.

There aren’t many options out their, but almost all are better than this organization. Trust me on this.
    Thanks for the advice, Coach!

Must be getting close to tryout time, the FUD is starting to fly...

Comment

Awesome! I’d love to hear your clearly very educated thoughts on each of the coaches for next year. I wouldn’t want to go somewhere without all of your information. Names and age groups below!

09 - Rhode
      08 - Bangs
      07 - Grand
      06 - Topaum
      05 - Nelson
      04/03 - Rhode

Comment

Awesome! I’d love to hear your clearly very educated thoughts on each of the coaches for next year. I wouldn’t want to go somewhere without all of your information. Names and age groups below!

09 - Rhode
        08 - Bangs
        07 - Grand
        06 - Topaum
        05 - Nelson
        04/03 - Rhode
        Lol ^

Appearance isn’t everything it seems...

Comment

Crossfire United is a joke

If you are considering joining Crossfire United I would strongly recommend you reconsider.

----

See how easy that is?

Comment

09 - Rhode—- Good coach, both of his daughters play for Thorns- 05 and 08- he was asst until next year. He was hesitant to get back to HC duties, but best coach they have
            08 - Bangs- Terrible- sorry, knew him years ago- Westside dud...scrimmage coaching at its best
            07 - Grand- new to head coaching. Cam from Bridge City- was out half the season on maternity- nice and into development...won’t last long at Thorns....they don’t want development- just a revolving door
            06 - Topaum- Eastside Thorns coach—-ODP/RTC- not great in my opinion. For this kind of money to play “elite” this is not elite coaching- sorry
            05 - Nelson- the worst one... she is now the Academy Director. Terrible with the girls- lacks coaching personality—-another stand on the sidelines and watch scrimmages. She won’t last as director since she is pathetic with parents.
            04/03 - Rhode
            Should any of you think I am a sour grapes parent....I am not. My daughter is off to college next year and done with Oregon soccer. After all the years in the “game” Thorns were the biggest let down on many levels. What could have been great over the past 2 years, was just a bunch of politics and BS by an incompetent club. And Westide Timbers girls environment is the biggest joke in Oregon youth sports.

But, do what you want. Just trying to do my part to help a few parents make the best decision for the welfare of their kids.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, Coach!

Must be getting close to tryout time, the FUD is starting to fly...
              No tryouts left for this family! Thank God. My kid is off to college next year. Playing BB not soccer, but she loves soccer and the friends she has made over the past 10 years.

It’s a shame the direction girls soccer is heading in Oregon. Revolving door of duds and kids are taught to create highlight reels vs playing the great team game, unselfishly.

Comment

Should any of you think I am a sour grapes parent....I am not. My daughter is off to college next year and done with Oregon soccer. After all the years in the “game” Thorns were the biggest let down on many levels. What could have been great over the past 2 years, was just a bunch of politics and BS by an incompetent club. And Westide Timbers girls environment is the biggest joke in Oregon youth sports.

But, do what you want. Just trying to do my part to help a few parents make the best decision for the welfare of their kids.
                This is a very accurate assessment of the program, coaches and all. Do with it what you will.

Comment

This is a very accurate assessment of the program, coaches and all. Do with it what you will.

I have talked to a few parents of Thorns players and they have almost all spoke of very high costs vs what they get.

All lured there by the brand only to find out is Westside Timbers 2.0

Not sure Crossfire is any better?

FC Portland seems to have lost their way lately. But they had a good culture going there for years.

Thorns leadership is not good....

Bridge City in GA has an incredible staff, but do they have enough kids showing up? Curious if anyone knows much about them.

Comment

For what it is worth, my daughter plays for the 07 team - her coach is not new to head coaching, just new to Oregon. The coach was on staff at UNC for 5 years and was a youth head coach and ODP coach the whole time there. Before that she was a head coach in Canada and an assistant coach at colleges there. My daughter has loved her and the team.

Don’t believe all the cynicism you read.

Comment

For what it is worth, my daughter plays for the 07 team - her coach is not new to head coaching, just new to Oregon. The coach was on staff at UNC for 5 years and was a youth head coach and ODP coach the whole time there. Before that she was a head coach in Canada and an assistant coach at colleges there. My daughter has loved her and the team.

The funny thing is... the people who read this forum are generally all familiar with the local youth soccer scene, and probably have strong opinions on clubs and coaches and whatnot.

The idea that newbie parents are going to be led here by Google and thereby informed which local club is the best, is silly. Generally they will start in the local neighborhood rec club, rub shoulders with volunteer coaches and other parents, and if their child is a strong player at the rec level, seek out recommendations for competitive clubs.

That doesn't prevent a few partisans (and possibly even a few coaches, though in practice the coaching fraternity mostly gets along with each other, with a few toxic exceptions) from coming here to trash other clubs. And in some cases, taking advantage of the anonymity of this forum to pose as a choir.

Comment

Why is it that this is almost an entirely new coaching staff? Not only have they been through multiple DOCs but coaching staff sure doesn’t seem to stick around. It makes you wonder.

Comment

I’m replying to my own post but from the website for reference:

“This will be her second year with the Academy as a Head Coach. Erin worked with the University of North Carolina women’s team on match analytics for 5 seasons and has been coaching soccer for over 15 years. She has experience coaching youth in Oregon, North Carolina, and Canada. She played collegiately in Canada and was a college assistant in Canada for 3 years following graduation.”

I don’t know much about the other coaches but we got to know Rhode a bit as he covered for the head coach while she was on maternity leave (I think it was only a month she was gone, not 6...). The girls enjoyed him and he did a great job... his daughters are good little players too.

Comment

“This will be her second year with the Academy as a Head Coach. Erin worked with the University of North Carolina women’s team on match analytics for 5 seasons and has been coaching soccer for over 15 years. She has experience coaching youth in Oregon, North Carolina, and Canada. She played collegiately in Canada and was a college assistant in Canada for 3 years following graduation.”

I don’t know much about the other coaches but we got to know Rhode a bit as he covered for the head coach while she was on maternity leave (I think it was only a month she was gone, not 6...). The girls enjoyed him and he did a great job... his daughters are good little players too.
                            Cool story bro.

Comment

Erin is a first year coach for the Thorns....she was with Bridge City last year. Fact

Rhode is a first year coach at the Thorns. Fact. He was an assistant. Prior he was part of recruiting/college scouting.

Glad your daughter likes her coach. The point is don’t get to used to it. The Thorns have a terrible reputation of revolving door leadership and coaching that leaves the kids in the lurch and in some cases ruins their overall development.

Keep drinking the cool aid. How’s the travel so far? Are you having to drive and pay for your kids hotels? Even through you paid a hefty fee for travel?? Tell the truth.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X