Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seacoast making empty promises?

I’ve heard numerous people on here say that Seacoast doesn’t put the top players on the top teams. They promise that there’ll be movement throughout the seasons, but never move kids up or down. Is this true, or are SUSC parents just salty their kids aren’t top of their age group?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I’ve heard numerous people on here say that Seacoast doesn’t put the top players on the top teams. They promise that there’ll be movement throughout the seasons, but never move kids up or down. Is this true, or are SUSC parents just salty their kids aren’t top of their age group?
    Mixture of both. 75% of the cases Parents being salty that their kid isn’t good and they feel entitled.

Comment

Unfortunately, this is the truth when you have a NH club that is off to the side from everyone else. DOC knows most people are coming there because they have no other options, so he makes teams to keep kids and their parents happy. D left for a club in MA which was a better option because of RY and the way he chose his team.

Comment

Can you imagine how good the teams could be if they moved players down who are not performing! And then replaced them with better players!

Comment

Just curious if you're new and observing this yourself or thinking of coming over? It's absolutely true. Not in every case of course. There are definitely salty parents. But I can name numerous examples in my D's age group where this is true (and mine is on the "top" team so I'm not salty about anything). There are players on our team that don't perform year in and year out without moving down while multiple girls on the team below ours are strong and never get a chance. It seems like the only ones who move up have complaining parents (and everyone knows it so they get branded as "that family") or come from another club. So my advice to you if you're not here yet is demand top team from day 1. IS will stand up there every year and tell you girls will move up and down and it virtually never happens!

Comment

We've experienced different. We've had players move during the season from a "lower" team. We've had players not make the team after a year; it's happened quite a few times. Now, I have not seen a player move down DURING the year, nor should they IMO. That's a tough sell for any club if a family pays a tuition, and then has it ripped away. I don't know anyone who does that. Truthfully there are a couple of non-committed players who should likely be moved out, but since they aren't committed they aren't counted on any longer and their PT matches it (not sure they realize it, but that's on them).

But, yes, I've seen players move up, or over (from another Seacoast team) mid-year. Happens every year. All winter long players come in to see if they are a fit and an improvement, and if they are good enough they stick. We've never had the same roster in June that we had the previous August.

We've had players leave mid-year or after a year, and blamed the coaches over it. They are typically club-hoppers so their history shows they'll never be happy, trying to play above their age group when they can't, etc.

As for the original comment about "top players not on the top teams", I won't say I know every player in the Seacoast system and have them all graded out, but from what I've seen I would be surprised to see better players not on the top team, unless it was their choice (i.e. not wanting to make the time commitment, costs, etc., which is fair).

Comment

I’ve heard numerous people on here...
              On here? Show me another post that states that.

Comment

We've experienced different. We've had players move during the season from a "lower" team. We've had players not make the team after a year; it's happened quite a few times. Now, I have not seen a player move down DURING the year, nor should they IMO. That's a tough sell for any club if a family pays a tuition, and then has it ripped away. I don't know anyone who does that. Truthfully there are a couple of non-committed players who should likely be moved out, but since they aren't committed they aren't counted on any longer and their PT matches it (not sure they realize it, but that's on them).

But, yes, I've seen players move up, or over (from another Seacoast team) mid-year. Happens every year. All winter long players come in to see if they are a fit and an improvement, and if they are good enough they stick. We've never had the same roster in June that we had the previous August.

We've had players leave mid-year or after a year, and blamed the coaches over it. They are typically club-hoppers so their history shows they'll never be happy, trying to play above their age group when they can't, etc.

As for the original comment about "top players not on the top teams", I won't say I know every player in the Seacoast system and have them all graded out, but from what I've seen I would be surprised to see better players not on the top team, unless it was their choice (i.e. not wanting to make the time commitment, costs, etc., which is fair).
                IS says every single year that there will be player movement during the year. EVERY SINGLE YEAR in our 5.5 years with the club. Has happened exactly 0 times in either direction. There have been only 2 girls moved down in the same timeframe and 0 brought up. I know you're going to come back and say obviously they don't deserve to move up and that's fine as you don't know the players involved but I do. There is no reason certain girls in our team haven't been moved down (non producers with a piss poor attitude) and strong lower team players brought up (2 or 3 in particular whose names come up frequently on sidelines) to at least try for a game or two. Never happens. I don't know their parents at all but I hope they move for their own sakes. If you don't think that IS and CS have perennial favorites it's only because your kid isn't affected or your age group got it right.

And I am not hugely anti SUSC. I feel we've had a mostly good experience and my kid has improved and I get what I pay for. I am a satisfied customer. But I do not believe they have been fair to several girls or my D's team by not making the moves they claim they will make.

Comment

IS says every single year that there will be player movement during the year. EVERY SINGLE YEAR in our 5.5 years with the club. Has happened exactly 0 times in either direction. There have been only 2 girls moved down in the same timeframe and 0 brought up. I know you're going to come back and say obviously they don't deserve to move up and that's fine as you don't know the players involved but I do. There is no reason certain girls in our team haven't been moved down (non producers with a piss poor attitude) and strong lower team players brought up (2 or 3 in particular whose names come up frequently on sidelines) to at least try for a game or two. Never happens. I don't know their parents at all but I hope they move for their own sakes. If you don't think that IS and CS have perennial favorites it's only because your kid isn't affected or your age group got it right.

And I am not hugely anti SUSC. I feel we've had a mostly good experience and my kid has improved and I get what I pay for. I am a satisfied customer. But I do not believe they have been fair to several girls or my D's team by not making the moves they claim they will make.
                  I've never heard anyone say they will be sent down mid-year. Maybe they do, but I've never heard them say it, and as parent I wouldn't accept it.

After last year, initially every player was told they would be back this year. I was surprised to see some not as it went against what he said, but they are where they should be. And, again, we see players coming up all the time from lower teams. I'm guessing they may know the players more than the parents on the sidelines on who should, and shouldn't, be brought up.

We are in our 5th year, and the roster that was there when we started has changed 50% to what it is today.

Comment

This must be a problem in many age groups as it is happening on my D’s age group very much. Since we have arrived at the club IS has been talking about the movement that goes on within a year, yet not a single bit of movement has occurred. CS and RY just bring in players from outside the club to fill spots, taking the chance away from well-deserving kids on my D’s team. Much like you, it does not affect me or D personally, as she is happy to stay on her current NPL/DPL team. However, I can’t watch the GAL dads tell others that this does not occur.

Comment

This must be a problem in many age groups as it is happening on my D’s age group very much. Since we have arrived at the club IS has been talking about the movement that goes on within a year, yet not a single bit of movement has occurred. CS and RY just bring in players from outside the club to fill spots, taking the chance away from well-deserving kids on my D’s team. Much like you, it does not affect me or D personally, as she is happy to stay on her current NPL/DPL team. However, I can’t watch the GAL dads tell others that this does not occur.
                      Pretty much every club will take an outside player for a top team over promoting a B team player if the players are equal. At the same time, in order for a current player to be replaced, a new player will likely have to be significantly better than the player that is being dropped. If the best player on the B team is at the same level as players 14-18 on the top team, it’s not worth the drama for the club to make that move.

Comment

GAL dad who has seen several players brought up this year from "lower" clubs and from other Seacoast branches. Every single practice there is 3-4 players not-rostered originally that rotate through; some are "one and dones" and some stick; a couple are now F/T players.

Again, I won't speak for everyone, but I will dispute the notion that "...will tell others that this does not occur".

I know of one player in particular that everyone raves about that she should be on; unfortunately every chance she has been given, she struggles. She is placed on the correct team, and I know that's not an opinion held by everyone.

Comment

The timing of this thread, and the same thread also on the MA board, is interesting knowing some of the back-office politics going on. I know some people who post on here, and their agenda, and likely am quite sure their role in the origin of some of the commentary.

Comment

Cosgrove really fired?

Comment

All big clubs with teams in a higher level league (former DA, ECNL, NPL) will dangle that carrot of can move up. They'll be on x team but can practice with the y team. Yes there is movement on occasion but seldom is it among the elite tier teams

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X