Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    With you except for the last part. Every sport has this characteristic because you win on the scoreboard not the stat sheet. I'd also challenge what "reflects the game". It's a perfectly viable strategy in soccer to absorb pressure and wait for counterattacking opportunities. If a team does that effectively, wins the game but loses the possession 65% to 35% have they won in a way that doesn't "reflect the game"? Not saying that's what happened here but too many times I've seen people commenting on one team "dominating" because they win the possession battle but don't score, don't create particularly dangerous chances, have double digit shots attempts from long range as they get frustrated and lose 2-0 because the other team made good on 2 of their 6 legit counterattacking opportunities and the "dominant" team was clearly disorganized on defense when under quickly developing pressure.
    Shot attempts is much different than shots on goal.
    Multiple shot attempts completely off target is just turning over possession. So then not really winning the possession battle.

Comment

With you except for the last part. Every sport has this characteristic because you win on the scoreboard not the stat sheet. I'd also challenge what "reflects the game". It's a perfectly viable strategy in soccer to absorb pressure and wait for counterattacking opportunities. If a team does that effectively, wins the game but loses the possession 65% to 35% have they won in a way that doesn't "reflect the game"? Not saying that's what happened here but too many times I've seen people commenting on one team "dominating" because they win the possession battle but don't score, don't create particularly dangerous chances, have double digit shots attempts from long range as they get frustrated and lose 2-0 because the other team made good on 2 of their 6 legit counterattacking opportunities and the "dominant" team was clearly disorganized on defense when under quickly developing pressure.
      "Dominating" is a loaded word. Possession stats don't show "domination", they show possession. I can probably maintain possession in my half indefinitely... will I win? The game is an attacking game. To successfully attack, you need to move the ball into the attacking third and ideally into the red zone in front of goal from the 6 to about 25 yards out where you have the highest probability of success in scoring. Bottom line, teams that create more high-probability scoring opportunities are likely to win on average.

As you mention, style and system of play is also part of this. A counter-attacking team may have lower possession, on purpose, knowing that teams caught off-balance and disorganized in transition are easier to score against (especially if the forward/defender matchups are beneficial to the counterattacking team).

Bottom line, I view a team as having dominated if they created significantly more scoring chances, Shots on Goal for instance, matched with GK Saves for the opposing GK. Why? Because a save means the shot was on frame and likely a decent opportunity to score. Get enough of those and eventually you will score. Possession is less useful metric without the above.

Comment

"Dominating" is a loaded word. Possession stats don't show "domination", they show possession. I can probably maintain possession in my half indefinitely... will I win? The game is an attacking game. To successfully attack, you need to move the ball into the attacking third and ideally into the red zone in front of goal from the 6 to about 25 yards out where you have the highest probability of success in scoring. Bottom line, teams that create more high-probability scoring opportunities are likely to win on average.

As you mention, style and system of play is also part of this. A counter-attacking team may have lower possession, on purpose, knowing that teams caught off-balance and disorganized in transition are easier to score against (especially if the forward/defender matchups are beneficial to the counterattacking team).

Bottom line, I view a team as having dominated if they created significantly more scoring chances, Shots on Goal for instance, matched with GK Saves for the opposing GK. Why? Because a save means the shot was on frame and likely a decent opportunity to score. Get enough of those and eventually you will score. Possession is less useful metric without the above.
        Even those stats are skewed. Saves don't give the full detail about how many non-recorded saves were made by coming out and stopping the attack (including taking off an attacker's foot); grabbing a cross; windmilling a ball a corner or punching out a dangerous ball corner; some saves are shots (some struck well and tough to handle or some softly lobbed) directly to a gk (zero extension), and more. Some teams record saves differently. There may have been a lot of work by the defensive 1/3 that will never show up on a stat.

Comment

The weather up here does not make it easy for soccer in the winter as spring just arrived with the mountains of snow still visible during the broadcast. The past weeks weather, the winds and wind chill, have been brutal and they were unable to practice.

Comment

BC soccer thread. Here we go again.
            You know how you know when someone went to BC.....they'll tell you.

Comment

The weather up here does not make it easy for soccer in the winter as spring just arrived with the mountains of snow still visible during the broadcast. The past weeks weather, the winds and wind chill, have been brutal and they were unable to practice.
              Northeastern beaten badly yesterday too

Comment

Wrong thread. BC only.

Comment

Maybe. Im not saying that didn't happen. Im just saying that BC are not good enough to be immune to losing to URI. These super leagues have increased the quality of the depth in the Womens college game, but they have not increased the quality at the very top end. Its more competitive, but not really higher quality.

Comment

A shot on goal does not always mean quality shot.
                    Saw a game recently where player had open shot and beat defender ; entire near side of net open as gk was hugging far side post (obviously out of position), did player just shoot into empty side. No. Shot it across her body directly to the out of position keeper who easily caught it.
                    And easy goal became a SOG and a save.

Watched player hit loose ball in front of goal directly to gk. Directly. She did not move.
                    So a Shot on goal and a save but better player in this scenerio would have scored. Possession did not factor into that at all.

Comment

Maybe. Im not saying that didn't happen. Im just saying that BC are not good enough to be immune to losing to URI. These super leagues have increased the quality of the depth in the Womens college game, but they have not increased the quality at the very top end. Its more competitive, but not really higher quality.
                      Agree. But you are more likely to see better overall quality players than not.

Comment

True. It is a lot easier to play with players that know how to play. Less likely to see bad youth soccer habits displayed.

Comment

Northeastern did not have a Fall season like BC.

Comment

True. It is a lot easier to play with players that know how to play. Less likely to see bad youth soccer habits displayed.
                            Which means closer games between similar talent. Does not necesssarily mena better looking soccer.

Comment

Doesn’t matter with this season with covid and no trainings.Will see what happens next season as all teams in northeast look like doo doo. Everyone else has been training .

Comment

Reality is far different from the sell. Difference making players are really rare. Youth results are usually more about depth of talent than absolute talent. In College, sub rules allow depth to play a big factor as well. Many of the rules encourage a styler of play that is set peice, wear down, physically focused. The creative, mental, possession style is at a big disadvantage because its more player dependent.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X