Overzealous Parents

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Karen @ ISC has decided to call it quits. There is hope!

Who else?

Comment

I wish I could remember the team, it was when my kid was still select, but this one mom was so obnoxious the other team came over to apologize BEFORE the game. I was like why the F is this family still on your team, why does the coach allow this? Man she could holler. I drew the line when she tried to stand directly behind our goal.

Asked her to move back past the 18, she refused and said you can't make me. Walked 20 feet away and got the Marshall who just had to walk up in their authoritative vest to get her to scurry away.

The poor kids, do the parents think their kids enjoy their behavior, or do they just not care? Remote controlling the game from the sidelines only works for Ulittle anyway. If the kids can't make decisions and see plays on their own they have no hope on an 11 v 11 field.

Best thing about covid is XF policy of having teams on opposite side with their parents on the same side of the field. Most parents don't say Boo with the coach right there.

Comment

A few years ago we played a team in the RCL whose parents were horrible. They continually yelled awful mean things at our ~12 year old girls. I remember my daughter getting taken out and then watching her trying really hard to stop crying to take her PK (she never cries in soccer, ever.) After the game I asked her if she was hurt, and she said that she was crying because the parents were yelling such terrible things at her. Their manager calls ours after to apologize for their behavior.

Comment

There are Karen’s in every club. Gunners don’t have the market cornered with Karen’s. PAC and Valor are worse.

Comment

I'm surprised to hear the early indication is that girls have more overzealous parents than boys!

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
              I'm surprised to hear the early indication is that girls have more overzealous parents than boys!
              Can absolutely confirm. Have kids of both genders. Girls' parents are worse.

Comment

Can absolutely confirm. Have kids of both genders. Girls' parents are worse.
                Excuse me? "BOTH" genders. There are more than 2 genders, you know that right? You nazi straight bigot.

Do you think maybe parents have some bias to protect female children more so that is why they are more zealous? It is strange, because I would have figured it was the other way around.

Comment

There are Karen’s in every club. Gunners don’t have the market cornered with Karen’s. PAC and Valor are worse.
                  yes PAC and Valor have some weird parents. And yes it is usually a certain gender, certain race and certain size that is screaming lol

Comment

Excuse me? "BOTH" genders. There are more than 2 genders, you know that right? You nazi straight bigot.

Do you think maybe parents have some bias to protect female children more so that is why they are more zealous? It is strange, because I would have figured it was the other way around.

Apologies -- yes there are more than 2 genders, but for now there is only B/G and M/W soccer, which is why I framed it as a binary. You didn't have to be a jerk about it though

My theories about why girls' soccer parents are crazier: I would argue that soccer is the #1 team sport for suburban white girls with potential for college play. Girls of more shapes and sizes have the potential to play in college vs say volleyball, where you really need to be tall for D1. Soccer lets more girl parents have college dreams, delusional or realistic. Parents of boys who have scholarship dreams are unlikely to steer their kid to soccer first...

I've also found that girls' teams attract more involvement from moms and dads, and it ends up being a big social thing for the parents with lots of parties etc. With boys, soccer tends to be a father/son thing with not as many team parties for the whole family.

The more invested parents are in the team as the center of their life, the more likely you're gonna have screaming

Comment

Who hurt you

Comment

The weird thing I have experience about soccer though is that the level of “parent craziness” inversely correlated with age and level of play. My older daughters premier games are really chill. I talk and joke with parents from the other team all the time and I routinely hear parents compliment good plays, saves, sequences from the other team. My younger daughters “developmental” team, there are psychopaths all the time screaming at kids. Middle school soccer, even worse. It’s really just a couple club players dribbling around the rest of the kids like they are cones but I’ve seen parents almost get into fist fights.

Comment

The weird thing I have experience about soccer though is that the level of “parent craziness” inversely correlated with age and level of play. My older daughters premier games are really chill. I talk and joke with parents from the other team all the time and I routinely hear parents compliment good plays, saves, sequences from the other team. My younger daughters “developmental” team, there are psychopaths all the time screaming at kids. Middle school soccer, even worse. It’s really just a couple club players dribbling around the rest of the kids like they are cones but I’ve seen parents almost get into fist fights.

I agree - parental behavior does improve as kids get older and on the more serious teams.

Comment

First time ulittle parents are seeing pre-puberty and pre-mom's great or not so great genetics. You guys are just seeing fast little legs and lungs. U12-14 parents mistaken this
                            for greatness. Yeah, call me when your kid is a U16 and you can see the glorious results
                            of puberty, school, boys, friends, intertubes, mom's genetics, and other distractions.

Most parents calm down due to some girls quit soccer, decline, or realize that their
                            little Mia isn't going to play at Stanford on full soccer scholarship. Don't get me wrong
                            lots of parents at club even in ECNL have no clue where their kid is at or even college
                            recruitable, until it is too late to do anything about it. Their silence is usually means that
                            they were unbearable @$$wipes at U12 when reality hits them in the face at U16.

Usually around U16 is when you know if your kid has any chance of being recruited which means good grades, test scores, AND then soccer skills. Everything have to sync to make it
                            work: grades,/test scores, soccer, choice of college, money.

Just remember: coaches recruit players, not the club or team. Go their ID camp. Keep
                            those grades and test scores up. Stay away from social media. School first, soccer 2nd.
                            Good luck. 2021 are done. 2022 are going to be wrapped up soon. 2023, get ready.
                            2024, don't waste your time, unless you are NT material. 2025+, just stop it. Ok?

Comment

First time ulittle parents are seeing pre-puberty and pre-mom's great or not so great genetics. You guys are just seeing fast little legs and lungs. U12-14 parents mistaken this
                              for greatness. Yeah, call me when your kid is a U16 and you can see the glorious results
                              of puberty, school, boys, friends, intertubes, mom's genetics, and other distractions.

Most parents calm down due to some girls quit soccer, decline, or realize that their
                              little Mia isn't going to play at Stanford on full soccer scholarship. Don't get me wrong
                              lots of parents at club even in ECNL have no clue where their kid is at or even college
                              recruitable, until it is too late to do anything about it. Their silence is usually means that
                              they were unbearable @$$wipes at U12 when reality hits them in the face at U16.

Usually around U16 is when you know if your kid has any chance of being recruited which means good grades, test scores, AND then soccer skills. Everything have to sync to make it
                              work: grades,/test scores, soccer, choice of college, money.

Just remember: coaches recruit players, not the club or team. Go their ID camp. Keep
                              those grades and test scores up. Stay away from social media. School first, soccer 2nd.
                              Good luck. 2021 are done. 2022 are going to be wrapped up soon. 2023, get ready.
                              2024, don't waste your time, unless you are NT material. 2025+, just stop it. Ok?
                              "mom's genetics" noted. As if dad's genetics is always A+. Some good info here, other than the raging sexism

Comment

"mom's genetics" noted. As if dad's genetics is always A+. Some good info here, other than the raging sexism
                                Speak for yourself, assuming a child has a mom and dad only. Sometimes it 2 mommies or 2 daddies, even 3 parents.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X