X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    "There isn't any support for anything remotely like what you claim above"

I'm not the clownshow you're responding to but this is a silly overstatement.

Here are two sources that took me less than 10 seconds to find:

---

"In the Netherlands, the Lung Foundation, together with the University of Maastricht and the CIRO group, surveyed 1,622 Covid-19 patients who had reported a number of long-term effects from their illness. Ninety-one percent of the patients were not hospitalized, which indicates that the vast majority of the surveyed patients would fall under the category “mildly symptomatic.” The average age of the patients surveyed was 53.

Nearly 88% of patients reported persistent intense fatigue, while almost three out of four had continued shortness of breath. Other enduring symptoms included, among other things, chest pressure (45% of patients), headache and muscle ache (40% and 36%, respectively), elevated pulse (30%), and dizziness (29%). Perhaps the most startling finding was that 85% of the surveyed patients considered themselves healthy prior to getting Covid-19. One or more months after getting the disease, only 6% consider themselves healthy."

As reported in Forbes:
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/joshuac.../#3dea3fb95979

---

The second, as reported by NPR:

"The Nature Medicine paper analyzes 37 asymptomatic cases, found through the contact tracing and testing efforts of the Wanzhou District Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in central China, which screened 2,088 close contacts of coronavirus patients from February through early April.

The asymptomatic patients were hospitalized for observation. Fifty-seven percent showed lung abnormalities on a CT scan, a sensitive imaging technique that produces a three-dimensional picture of the lungs. Some showed "striped shadows," while others presented with "ground-glass opacities" — clear signs of inflammation in the lungs.

"To find so many asymptomatic patients with such significant changes on CTs is quite surprising," says Dr. Alvin Ing, a professor of respiratory medicine at Macquarie University who was not involved with the study. It shows that even people with no outward signs of infection can be experiencing some temporary damage to their lungs. It feeds into a pattern he's seen in treating COVID-19 patients: "The symptoms underestimate the severity of the disease." In other words, the coronavirus is often taxing a person's body more severely than their symptoms — or lack thereof — suggest.

The findings are consistent with several studies following asymptomatic patients in China, which have found that many can develop lesions in the lungs despite having no outward symptoms, says Dr. Jennifer Taylor-Cousar, a pulmonologist at National Jewish Health in Denver not involved with the paper. "It probably is, at least in this disease, pretty common," she says."

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...l-asymptomatic
    The Dutch “study” was a survey of 1600 people who were complaining of symptoms more than a month out from diagnoses. Not peer reviewed or published in a journal. On its face, not a random sample of the more than 50k Covid positives in the Netherlands. Doesn’t tell us anything about prevalence or long term effects.

The Nature study out of Wuhan (n=37, so not a particularly robust population) showed some lung damage among 57% of otherwise asymptomatic but hospitalized patients upon admission. It doesn’t say anything about long term impacts.

Both reports suggest there is some reason to be concerned about asymptomatic cases (no doubt there is, and there is also the problem of asymptomatic cases spreading the disease to others) but neither study provides any support for the claim that mild and asymptomatic Covid wrecks havoc in the immune symptoms of asymptomatic patients worldwide. I’m all for reasonable caution in reopening and continued study of the disease, but hyperbolic claims that have no basis in fact don’t do anyone any good.

Comment

Not the person who posted the links but I see how it works. Hyperbolic statements downplaying the risks are ignored and hyperbolic statements of concern are dissected. No wonder this country is screwed.

Comment

Not the person who posted the links but I see how it works. Hyperbolic statements downplaying the risks are ignored and hyperbolic statements of concern are dissected. No wonder this country is screwed.

I wonder if we ever will be allowed in public without a mask again?

Comment

I wonder if we ever will be allowed in public without a mask again?
          First they make me wear pants when I leave the house, and now this?!

Comment

First they make me wear pants when I leave the house, and now this?!
            My neighbor wears the equivalent of a thong walking his dog so I am not sure pants are mandatory.

Comment

it's all theoretical till someone dies

Look, if you get it most likely will not kill you. If someone gave me a bet and said I'm going to give you a 96% chance to win a million dollars, I would absolutely take it. Most likely if I let my kids play and they contract it, they will be fine.

Except if there not. My club lost a parent to the disease and then a friend ended up in the hospital because of it as well. I'm pretty sure those that have been effected by it would appreciate if everyone took it with some amount of seriousness and respect. The antibody test rates suggest that we have a LONG way to go before the full effects are felt.

Put on the damn mask.

Comment

Look, if you get it most likely will not kill you. If someone gave me a bet and said I'm going to give you a 96% chance to win a million dollars, I would absolutely take it. Most likely if I let my kids play and they contract it, they will be fine.

Except if there not. My club lost a parent to the disease and then a friend ended up in the hospital because of it as well. I'm pretty sure those that have been effected by it would appreciate if everyone took it with some amount of seriousness and respect. The antibody test rates suggest that we have a LONG way to go before the full effects are felt.

Put on the damn mask.
                I predict we will be in full masks for years to come, until probably 2030 to get this darn thing under control.

We need to get used to the fact that we will all be required to have a mask 100% of the time even in our homes. Person-to-person contact is out of bounds until then as well.

If everyone were to mask up all day every day for 6-9 months I think we might have a shot at getting this thing under control before 2030. What do you want? Think hard.

#wearthedangmask

Comment

Ahh, yes. Let's ignore the fact that "mild" and asymptomatic infections have been shown to wreak havoc on people's immune systems across the entire world.
                  dont ignore it, stay home.

Comment

I predict we will be in full masks for years to come, until probably 2030 to get this darn thing under control.

We need to get used to the fact that we will all be required to have a mask 100% of the time even in our homes. Person-to-person contact is out of bounds until then as well.

If everyone were to mask up all day every day for 6-9 months I think we might have a shot at getting this thing under control before 2030. What do you want? Think hard.

#wearthedangmask
                    We cannot let this virus take us all down. Wear the mask.

Imagine the Russians have invaded and are driving the streets with small caliber semi automatic weapons. What would you do? Would you be schlepping your lazy ass to Starbucks to get a latte and stopping at the home improvement place to pick up some new planters? No. You'd be in your house with the shades pulled and the lights off.

This is the same thing. Wear the mask. Stock up supplies for the long run. We are in this together and it's going to be a long slog. I don't know about ten years, but it could be many years.

Comment

Imagine the Russians have invaded and are driving the streets with small caliber semi automatic weapons. What would you do? Would you be schlepping your lazy ass to Starbucks to get a latte and stopping at the home improvement place to pick up some new planters? No. You'd be in your house with the shades pulled and the lights off.

This is the same thing. Wear the mask. Stock up supplies for the long run. We are in this together and it's going to be a long slog. I don't know about ten years, but it could be many years.
                      That’s not a reasonable assessment of the risks and ignores the negative consequences of full lockdowns (which are massive for the economy, public health, and education alike). Wear masks, social distance, isolate the most vulnerable, let kids play sports and go to some reasonably modified version of in person school. Somehow most other country in the world have figured this out but we don’t seek to have any reasonable middle ground between those who think we should be on full lockdown for the next decade and shame anyone who disagrees with them and those who think we should reopen everything now with no precautions whatsoever.

Comment

That’s not a reasonable assessment of the risks and ignores the negative consequences of full lockdowns (which are massive for the economy, public health, and education alike). Wear masks, social distance, isolate the most vulnerable, let kids play sports and go to some reasonably modified version of in person school. Somehow most other country in the world have figured this out but we don’t seek to have any reasonable middle ground between those who think we should be on full lockdown for the next decade and shame anyone who disagrees with them and those who think we should reopen everything now with no precautions whatsoever.
                        I don't have any problem with the point you're making. I don't think the people on here advocating for caution do, either.

The problem is that, in reality, a large segment of our communities categorically refuses to accept any reasonable precautions or protective measures, and instead takes pride in undermining them at every opportunity.

As a result, the "reasonable middle ground" you reference is a pipe dream. We can't get there from here. In order to reach that middle ground, the "Inslee is a tyrant" crowd (and their ilk in other states) has to stop being so selfish and short-sighted. You may not like that I'm using those words, but they're accurate.

Comment

Covid-19 and Red Dawn

Comment

Xfire suspended all training until at least July 20 at the earliest. I’m pretty sure they have confirmed that on their website. It sure seems like Pateadores is taking a big risk with their kids. It’s highly irresponsible to gamble with kids’ health. Anyone on this thread advocating folks to chill out and just let the kids play is essentially sending the message that it’s OK to gamble with kids’ health. The leadership at Pateadores is highly questionable and suspect. It appears ex-Sounder James Riley is coaching with them now. I hope to God he stays far, far away from this dangerous clown show.
                            The Pateadores coach running the sessions with way too many players is Tao Shen. His photo is on their website. Also, James Riley is working with club. His photo is on their website too.

Comment

The Pateadores coach running the sessions with way too many players is Tao Shen. His photo is on their website. Also, James Riley is working with club. His photo is on their website too.
                              I watched Tao Shen coach an Eagleclaw team last year (my daughter was playing on an adjacent field after them). I've never seen someone "joystick" players as much as he did. Maybe it was just that one match.

Comment

This is exactly the scenario the president should be using to get americans locked down in their homes. Russians are invading and you have to hide until NATO comes to rescue us.

If that doesn't get people to wear the mask and stay home I don't know what will.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X