Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Guest View Post

Well said, the Spokane area probably simply doesn't have enough players overall to create multiple high level teams. One high level team from Spokane might produce something that is competitive.
    some one else asked about the partnership between Spokane Sounders and FC Spokane and this is what that partnership is working towards without doing a true merger. Part of the the partnership included FCs DOC Jay Vela joining the Sounders and heading up the Boys High School teams. We wont see the full impact at the 2006 year group quite yet but wait to see what happens with the 08 and 09 boys teams. These clubs are not looking to merge just creating opportunities especially for the FC players that standout to get opportunities to play at a higher level and for now at least bringing the top players from both clubs to compete better when they travel. What the partnership does for the players and families is if there is say a standout player on FC, they can get a free player card to play on Sounders team as well and just have to buy the uniform kit. The girls side are slowly getting some opportunities as well and that should grow. I know already alot of people on the outside will say this wont work and trust me I am one of parents still not happy about how the last merger went a few years back but what I can say is at least knowing the Vela brothers pretty well, they truly want what is best for the local teams and local players and want to see them as individuals and as teams get national recognition. I dont know all the exact particulars but I know they have been working very hard locally especially through COVID to create local partnerships to bring the best players together even going as far as Sandpoint and Moses Lake area. I know there was talks with Surf and WE within the last couple years but those plan fell through the cracks for reasons unknown to all but hopefully this is a good step in the right direction for Spokane .

Not too much involved with Surf and I know they have the best intentions working towards the same goal with the partnerships they have created in Palouse and Tricities but in just my own opinion if feels like that will only work if clubs choose to fall under the Surf umbrella (not that I am saying that is a bad thing on bit) Where I see both Surf and WE missing the mark is recruiting and developing at the U8-U10 level which I feel both Sounders and FC do a really good job at (even Sandpoint for how small they are)

Comment

Don’t know if they can sustain it, but Surf made their youngest age groups free this year and had an insane amount of teams. Do agree that Jay Vela truly cares about players. I wonder how that works with people like the Faridnias family and Seely who care about other things to put it nicely. It will be interested to see how the youngest age groups go now that IEYSA doesn’t exist any longer.

Comment

My sons EAL team has had a few Surf players join them. Really good players that help the level of play. Seems like Surf just doesn’t have enough depth in the boys program except a couple standouts at each age. A couple of the younger girls practice with Surf teams for the GAL don’t know what the plan is when that season starts.

Comment

Most of the tip players travel to greater Seattle to play.

Comment

There is some Quality players there.

Comment

How's everyone looking heading into spring? What teams are looking competitive at what ages?

Comment

League starts this weekend, we already have injuries and several kids out with Covid. Let the adventure begin.

Comment

COVID is leading to massive absences for almost anyone so who knows. I’d expect Sounders boys to continue to get throttled in ECNL while WE keeps winning in EA. Which teams are better? Probably Sounders, they just can’t hang in ECNL. On the girls side Sounders will have some solid GA teams. Surf will lag behind Sounders but I bet the new Portland teams should provide a few more wins. Outside of that, who knows about RCL or PSPL, crapshoot at this point since it’s almost exclusively B teams and below.

Comment

COVID is leading to massive absences for almost anyone so who knows. I’d expect Sounders boys to continue to get throttled in ECNL while WE keeps winning in EA. Which teams are better? Probably Sounders, they just can’t hang in ECNL. On the girls side Sounders will have some solid GA teams. Surf will lag behind Sounders but I bet the new Portland teams should provide a few more wins. Outside of that, who knows about RCL or PSPL, crapshoot at this point since it’s almost exclusively B teams and below.
                    What do you mean by absences? On the west side of WA if a kid gets sick with covid he is usually out for a week or two but returns. It isn't like kids are kidding because of covid.

Comment

typo
                      ^
                      It isn't like kids are "quitting" because of covid.

Comment

Not quitting but I’m seeing a lot of teams with pretty significant roster fluctuations game to game as kids are quarantined. If you have 2 or 3 top players out due to COVID and replace them with guest players from a second team that could be a massive difference. Especially if you lose a keeper, striker, centerback, etc.

Comment

Not quitting but I’m seeing a lot of teams with pretty significant roster fluctuations game to game as kids are quarantined. If you have 2 or 3 top players out due to COVID and replace them with guest players from a second team that could be a massive difference. Especially if you lose a keeper, striker, centerback, etc.
                          But Covid doesn't just impact one team...

Comment

But Covid doesn't just impact one team...
                            Correct. It impacts them all week to week which is why results might be all over the map this spring. This isn’t hard to understand. A lot of teams are using up to 6 guest players each week. Rosters are very fluid from game to game.

Comment

Correct. It impacts them all week to week which is why results might be all over the map this spring. This isn’t hard to understand. A lot of teams are using up to 6 guest players each week. Rosters are very fluid from game to game.
                              And also remember that a lot of the EWA clubs are smaller, so might only have one team at an age group. Speaking for my DD's team, we went into weekend game with three kids coming off illness who haven't been able to practice, our CB was out sick, one out with season ending injury, and no second team to pull from. Makes for a hot mess of a game, but it can only get better (right?).

Comment

This is stupid.

https://twitter.com/dp_league/status...945325570?s=21

There’s no way this made up league is better than RCL or even NPL. Just another way to harvest money from parents that buy into the scam. Thorns and MRFC struggle in NPL, Soccer Chance doesn’t even have teams at all age groups. Albion Portland can’t win games in local leagues. So dumb.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X