Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I played 3 sports growing up through HS, 2 in college. Without a doubt, I would've been much better of a player if I stuck to 1 full-time, 1 part-time, and gave up the third.

My time and effort improving my skills were stretched way too thin. Sure I was athletic, but I don't believe I reached my full potential.
    Unless you were going pro did it matter in the end?

Comment

It's not always a good thing, that's the point. If you are missing time for soccer, you are not practicing soccer-specific skills enough. No way around it. One kid has a ball at their foot, and one kid has a stick in their hand.

Yes, from a physical/athletic perspective, it's great and I would never discourage it. But, for every minute you are working with your stick is a minute lost working on your footwork. No way around it.

I would never suggest replacing practice time for another sport, but to enhance, I'd encourage it.
      Thread op just posted that their kid isn't really missing soccer. Missing an occasional practice or game isnt going to make a significant impact..
      if they were missing a great deal then yes thats a problem. The club coach would have an issue with it too.. Also, face it, some practices are pretty lame. Motivated players can do ball work on their own and in less time. Its not a perfect substitute but good. obviously fitness won't be an issue.

Comment

Unless you were going pro did it matter in the end?
        Of course not; but none of this does if that's your litmus test.

But, taking the pro out of it...yeah...I wished I didn't waste my time w/ baseball and allowed myself to be a better player by not stretching myself out so thin.

Comment

Playing lacrosse-Benefit?

Of course not; but none of this does if that's your litmus test.

But, taking the pro out of it...yeah...I wished I didn't waste my time w/ baseball and allowed myself to be a better player by not stretching myself out so thin.
          really? we can easily take your argument and stretch it further.

All sports (unless you are going Pro) is obviously a waste of time compared to using your time wisely and hitting the books to get into a better college and ultimately a higher paying job.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          Working...
          X