X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am looking for some feedback. Do you think its appropriate for a Coach to host private training sessions with players on their own team for a fee? Do you think this can occur without the Coach favoring or giving the said player additional playing time or opportunity?

I would imagine clubs all have policies on this type of situation. Does your club have a policy or stance? What do you think about all this? The reason I ask is this has occurred on my daughters team over the last year and the Coach has doubled the minutes of the player. Fortunately we have been able to quantify this exactly because of the in-game technology our team uses for video. Many are probably thinking perhaps the player has improved and deserved the additional time but let me just dispel that notion with a resounding NO! Every time this person enters the pitch we are playing a man down!
    Since when coaching is an ethical job?

Comment

they combined all the threads about him into 1 thread about him. The mod did us all a favor of not having to comb through all the Tetro bull**** on the board. I dont know who the guy is and wouldnt recognize him on the street if i saw him. Not sure how a guy who coaches 12yr olds can become public enemy #1 except because success breeds contempt. For anyone like me who has never met this guy, deep down inside the only reason you hate him is because of the success he has created. Any other excuse is likely a lie.
      Success he created? with 12 year olds? One team? It’s not the World Cup or olympics. Wins at 12 years old really mean nothing, doubtful this has much to with that and more to do with the fact that he’s done a lot of people wrong.

Comment

Bottom-line, a conflict of interest exists when you have an interest that interferes with your responsibilities as a coach and/or your ability to act in the best interest of the coaching profession.

Coaching in an ethical manner includes conducting yourself in such a way that the appearance of conflicts of interest does not arise.
        No issue if coaches do privates - they don't make much money coaching and usually need 2nd jobs. But they should never be coaching a kid on their roster. Clubs need to stipulate that in their annual contracts.

Comment

No issue if coaches do privates - they don't make much money coaching and usually need 2nd jobs. But they should never be coaching a kid on their roster. Clubs need to stipulate that in their annual contracts.
          Happens at PDA all the time. It’s the best way for more playing time. Especially at younger ages when it really doesn’t matter and strictly about milking people dry.

Comment

All the coaches at PDA need supplemental income - PDA pays like $15k a team- no one can live on that. I do know of only one that does it ethically at PDA by assistant coaching college or little kids. The rest have “training” programs where they train their own players or the B team (white) players as a carrot to bring them up to Blue. Kids aren’t deciding this so really it’s only the parent to blame if they think it’s the right thing to do. And because most are obsessed with their kid being liked by a loser coach in hope for what?! — they are will do anything.

Comment

Clueless

All the coaches at PDA need supplemental income - PDA pays like $15k a team- no one can live on that. I do know of only one that does it ethically at PDA by assistant coaching college or little kids. The rest have “training” programs where they train their own players or the B team (white) players as a carrot to bring them up to Blue. Kids aren’t deciding this so really it’s only the parent to blame if they think it’s the right thing to do. And because most are obsessed with their kid being liked by a loser coach in hope for what?! — they are will do anything.
              They all have real jobs which is why practice gets cancelled on a whim so often and with the side hustle for extra training it really is a scam.

Half of the staff at North gets paid by Rutgers or some other college on some level. So throw in 2 teams on top of the Rutgers haul and that's another $30K and then the private session/no tax income takes it to another level.

Comment

Private training with the head coach is BS, its a kickback and its paying indirectly for PT. Most clubs have a rule against it but many coaches still work around it.

It erodes any trust and causes issues when people find out about it. The optics are horrible and I would think clubs would prefer it not occur because of the headaches it causes.

Comment

This about sums it up in a nutshell. Regardless it’s pathetic on all ends other then the kid.

Comment

According to the ICF website, Conflict of Interest is defined as follows:

A conflict of interest exists when you have an interest that interferes with your responsibilities as a coach or interferes with your ability to act in the best interest of the coaching profession.

A conflict of interest may arise when you use your role as a coach for inappropriate personal gain or when personal interests conflict with your coaching agreement.

Examples of conflicts to avoid include accepting or offering payments outside the coaching agreement, or having a substantial investment or position in any business to which you are providing coaching services.

Coaches should avoid even the appearance of a conflict of interest.

Further, the ICF Code of Ethics, item nine states: “I will seek to avoid conflicts of interest and potential conflicts of interest and openly disclose any such conflicts. I will offer to remove myself when such a conflict arises.”
                    thank god it doesnt apply to soccer!

Comment

Private training with the head coach is BS, its a kickback and its paying indirectly for PT. Most clubs have a rule against it but many coaches still work around it.

It erodes any trust and causes issues when people find out about it. The optics are horrible and I would think clubs would prefer it not occur because of the headaches it causes.
                      Perfectly said

Comment

No worries about training with the head coach at MF Shore. This clown can barley coach his teams, nevermind doing privates.

Comment

PDA's entire girls side of the business is run on privates. Those that attend move up, favored, play more. The coach will claim its because they are training and getting better but its just not the case. We have seen less than average players from white move up to blue and blue players that are also "payers" get more time. It really doesn't happen everywhere. Another BIG reason why PDA is truly not about the players. The only way it will change - get rid of the management MO and all the "old, tired, outdated" coaches. TOO MANY.

Comment

PDA's entire girls side of the business is run on privates. Those that attend move up, favored, play more. The coach will claim its because they are training and getting better but its just not the case. We have seen less than average players from white move up to blue and blue players that are also "payers" get more time. It really doesn't happen everywhere. Another BIG reason why PDA is truly not about the players. The only way it will change - get rid of the management MO and all the "old, tired, outdated" coaches. TOO MANY.
                            Truth

Comment

Facts that nobody can dispute. Why even entertain the conflict of interest? The answer is money. This practice is BS.

Comment

Unethical and Illegal

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X