Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Guest View Post
    Just want to get the terminologies right. Is outdoor turf the same as artificial grass and indoor turf as turf? I am a bit confused by these terms.
    confused here as well. was looking at both turf shoes, as well as "AG" cleats this weekend. Description on the turf shoes says they are for thinner artificial surfaces, and there are very few options for pure "AG". Seems like most of what i'm finding are FG/AG. D does most of her training and matches on a newer turf field with longer "grass" and those little pellets that get everywhere. Only occasionally plays matches or tournaments on actual grass surfaces. Even the indoor turf is a pretty dense surface, nothing like the flat carpet-like astroturf I remember as a kid. In this instance, would a traditional firm ground cleat be the best option?

Comment

confused here as well. was looking at both turf shoes, as well as "AG" cleats this weekend. Description on the turf shoes says they are for thinner artificial surfaces, and there are very few options for pure "AG". Seems like most of what i'm finding are FG/AG. D does most of her training and matches on a newer turf field with longer "grass" and those little pellets that get everywhere. Only occasionally plays matches or tournaments on actual grass surfaces. Even the indoor turf is a pretty dense surface, nothing like the flat carpet-like astroturf I remember as a kid. In this instance, would a traditional firm ground cleat be the best option?
      https://www.nike.com/soccer/shoe-guide

Comment

Best way to explain it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z9l35yg7Io

Plus they have a lot of good reviews for cleats

Comment

Basic rule with artificial surfaces is you don't want something that can really plant the cleat firmly into the surface. Go to a good soccer store (not Dicks's) and compare the soles of grass cleats vs the others - they may have small nubs for a little grip but they're not nearly as long as the spikes for grass.

Comment

And if I may add -for some reason most soccer stores do not carry artificial grass cleats. they mostly carry Turfs(nobs on bottom) or firm ground grass cleats. You may have to order them over the internet.

Comment

And if I may add -for some reason most soccer stores do not carry artificial grass cleats. they mostly carry Turfs(nobs on bottom) or firm ground grass cleats. You may have to order them over the internet.
              We usually get ours through the Internet. Most of sporting goods don't have great selections.

Comment

This is a very important topic that parents should become more educated about for their kids sake. Take the time and do some research because cleats will determine your child’s health and prevention of injuries that happen on turf. Soccer shoe companies are now becoming more involved in making “safe” soccer cleats for all these artificial injuries. I have seen so many injuries from this surface from non-contact but rather twists and turns and movement of the body. The only rule I had with my kids was they had to wear “turf” cleats on this surface. This was reinforced to them by soccer trainers and sports orthopedists.

Comment

This is a very important topic that parents should become more educated about for their kids sake. Take the time and do some research because cleats will determine your child’s health and prevention of injuries that happen on turf. Soccer shoe companies are now becoming more involved in making “safe” soccer cleats for all these artificial injuries. I have seen so many injuries from this surface from non-contact but rather twists and turns and movement of the body. The only rule I had with my kids was they had to wear “turf” cleats on this surface. This was reinforced to them by soccer trainers and sports orthopedists.
                  Younger kids tend to play more often on grass; as you get older more time is spent on artificial surfaces, especially in HS. Spending another $200 for an another pair of shoes may seem like a bit much, but having seen several kids literally collapse with torn ACL's on turf? You'll spend thousands in surgery and PT co-pays.

Comment

We usually get ours through the Internet. Most of sporting goods don't have great selections.
                    A good soccer-specific store usually will have some, along with knowledgable staff, while a general sports store won't. If it's a brand your kid already uses then sizing should be fine to buy online, just check on the return policies.

Comment

Is it true that one academy was running 2 hr two a day trainings for Ulittles past few weeks?

Comment

Is it true that one academy was running 2 hr two a day trainings for Ulittles past few weeks?
                        Can you be a little more vague????

Comment

My D plays almost exclusively in turf shoes even on most grass. Only puts on cleats when it is slippery or the grass is especially long. The other thing about soccer cleats is how little ankle and heel support/cushion they have. We have experimented with all sorts of turf shoes for various sports with some success. She plays lacrosse as well and finds those turf shoes the best. We have even cut off the front cleat on lacrosse cleats so refs won’t make her change. In the end it’s all about comfort and support for the whole body, She doesn’t see any drop off from her normal soccer cleats in terms of shaping the ball performance or with her speed/skills on the ball. She plays CM so she is moving a ton, it might not work if she were to play a different position.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X