Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The quality of girls soccer

For those of you that have 2004's or 2005's but have also had older girls play at the U16 and U17 ages, what is your opinion of the current quality of soccer?

Having watched a good amount of mid to top gal teams play and a handful of ecnl teams, I was surprised at the lack of skill. I guess I expected to see a lot more possession and high speed-of-play, but it was more about kicking the ball forward, waiting for turnovers and trying to lob shots under the crossbar from outside the 18. Some games were really sloppy and almost unwatchable.

Have these age groups always been that way and was I expecting too much, or has the skill in girls soccer deteriorated recently?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    For those of you that have 2004's or 2005's but have also had older girls play at the U16 and U17 ages, what is your opinion of the current quality of soccer?

Having watched a good amount of mid to top gal teams play and a handful of ecnl teams, I was surprised at the lack of skill. I guess I expected to see a lot more possession and high speed-of-play, but it was more about kicking the ball forward, waiting for turnovers and trying to lob shots under the crossbar from outside the 18. Some games were really sloppy and almost unwatchable.

Have these age groups always been that way and was I expecting too much, or has the skill in girls soccer deteriorated recently?
    It’s shocking to me that even at the top ECNL club the talent gap not just in players but coaches too

Comment

A lot of it is unwatchable. One problem is that there's a hierarchy in most clubs and the best coaches we have in America (which lets be honest are not very good) get assigned to the boys teams. My D played GDA and now ECNL and I can say confidently that across both clubs the girls coaches have been total hacks. The style of play is basically HS soccer just with better kids.

Comment

I think that moving to calendar year age groups, 6 or however many years ago, severely disrupted these older players, with many subsequently bouncing around trying to find an appropriate team. It also entrenched girls with spring birthdays on higher teams, even after fall birthdays have caught up physically by now.

Comment

To many teams/c,ubs. Today the only thing that matters when making a team is if your parents can write the check - ta.ent is optional. Lots of team hopping between ECNL and Ga clubs bc if you don’t get PT at one team you move on to another. It’s all about the Benjamin’s- that’s what’s ruined youth soccer.

Comment

To many teams/c,ubs. Today the only thing that matters when making a team is if your parents can write the check - ta.ent is optional. Lots of team hopping between ECNL and Ga clubs bc if you don’t get PT at one team you move on to another. It’s all about the Benjamin’s- that’s what’s ruined youth soccer.
            Too many leagues under different governing bodies make it easy for that to happen. Can't make an A team in one league? Try a different league. All those clubs need to fill teams. It's a watered down mess and players don't know what it's like to compete at the very top

Comment

Bingo, ECNL clubs are adding players from town teams at U15/U16 if that tells you anything. No development.

Comment

The disturbing part is some of the top teams are no more skilled than than a lot of the bottom teams. They are just bigger or faster or both. They dont even appear to be trying to play a higher skill level of soccer. Booting the ball up and down the field just seems to expected and accepted.

Comment

the poor state of officiating is partially to blame as well. There's less refs, who are less qualified and the games degrade into overly physical mess because no fouls are called. The lack of protection results in coaches assuming that you need bigger players who can handle the game. It just starts a cycle that then self perpetuates.

Comment

The quality of hot soccer moms are also at an all time low. Come on hot soccer moms in yoga pants we need better quality.

Comment

The quality of hot soccer moms are also at an all time low. Come on hot soccer moms in yoga pants we need better quality.
                      False. Lots of hot soccer Moms.

Comment

Winning

Rare sighting once you get past the u-10ish age group. Unicorn like at U15 and above.

Comment

Rare sighting once you get past the u-10ish age group. Unicorn like at U15 and above.
                          I agree. CA, TX, FL, AZ have the top level moms in all the age groups!

Comment

I agree. CA, TX, FL, AZ have the top level moms in all the age groups!
                            Samir is that you?

Comment

False. Lots of hot soccer Moms.
                              You must be really hard up.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X