What makes the top programs so good?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only the goalie is 2010. And they have a few 2012 in the group too.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Hello,

As a parent of a top XF B12/13 player, here are some things to consider.

1. Top players have been training in soccer skills since age 4-5, programs like Coerver Juniors, and Arena Sports indoor soccer leagues.
      2. Crossfire offers a program called Crossfire Futures for ages 6-7. It’s free of charge, highly in demand, lightly coached, gently recruited and top players will be recommended to play Premier starting ages 6-7.
      3. Crossfire Premier will select players 1-2 years younger for Under-9 teams. Some may play on A, B, C, D, etc.. this is invaluable time for players to learn skills, TACTICS, and play a lot.
      4. Crossfire Premier’s mantra is that kids must play. 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, 4v4, etc.. The one thing that separates XF, is that they play a lot! Inter-age, up against older teams, boys v girls teams etc.
      5. Most top players train outside of Crossfire. This includes private trainers, and programs like Coerver. Not limited to soccer, but speed, agility, shooting (eg Toca), strength, etc
      6. Crossfire does attract a large player pool, at least 2-3X ++ more than most clubs including Seattle United. There are always a couple stellar players that shine and get picked up on the top team
      7. Crossfire does have a coaching curriculum and high caliber coaches. For the boys 2012 and 2013, one played on EPL and one grew up in EPL Academies. The coaches are top class and the club emphasizes good coaching at younger ages.
      8. At U-9, the top two teams A and B train together 2-3x a week with the same coach. This means, there can be movement up and down. In 2020, half of the B2012 A players moved down and half of the B players moved up.
      9. Crossfire top teams are more aggressive and physical. These players are fighting every day. It’s hard to watch sometimes, but that is the game. It is physical. Good players learn to adapt, overcome this, to play better. As they say, iron sharpens iron.
      10. Crossfire works harder than anyone, except a few outliers out there. They practice 4x a week. Most clubs practice 2x a week. That is a big deal. It’s not economical for most clubs, but economics don’t drive youth player development. If you look to Brazil, Argentina, most kids play street ball until age 13-14. In essence, that type of play is what develops creativity, intelligence, ball mastery, confidence and mental outlook in the game.

These are some of the considerations that have made Crossfire dominant in the B2012 & 2013 age levels.

It’s hopeful other clubs can learn from each other and develop the talent regionally.
      This is all accurate. I watch it 4-5 nights a week

Comment

What happened to the WPFC 05s at Crossfire Challenge? This used to be one of the top programs in the age group... but both their ECNL and Black teams were utterly embarrassed at 60 Acres this past weekend. Zero wins, zero ties, six losses, one red card, 1 goal for, and 19 goals allowed combined for both teams.

Comment

Hello,

As a parent of a top XF B12/13 player, here are some things to consider.

1. Top players have been training in soccer skills since age 4-5, programs like Coerver Juniors, and Arena Sports indoor soccer leagues.
          2. Crossfire offers a program called Crossfire Futures for ages 6-7. It’s free of charge, highly in demand, lightly coached, gently recruited and top players will be recommended to play Premier starting ages 6-7.
          3. Crossfire Premier will select players 1-2 years younger for Under-9 teams. Some may play on A, B, C, D, etc.. this is invaluable time for players to learn skills, TACTICS, and play a lot.
          4. Crossfire Premier’s mantra is that kids must play. 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, 4v4, etc.. The one thing that separates XF, is that they play a lot! Inter-age, up against older teams, boys v girls teams etc.
          5. Most top players train outside of Crossfire. This includes private trainers, and programs like Coerver. Not limited to soccer, but speed, agility, shooting (eg Toca), strength, etc
          6. Crossfire does attract a large player pool, at least 2-3X ++ more than most clubs including Seattle United. There are always a couple stellar players that shine and get picked up on the top team
          7. Crossfire does have a coaching curriculum and high caliber coaches. For the boys 2012 and 2013, one played on EPL and one grew up in EPL Academies. The coaches are top class and the club emphasizes good coaching at younger ages.
          8. At U-9, the top two teams A and B train together 2-3x a week with the same coach. This means, there can be movement up and down. In 2020, half of the B2012 A players moved down and half of the B players moved up.
          9. Crossfire top teams are more aggressive and physical. These players are fighting every day. It’s hard to watch sometimes, but that is the game. It is physical. Good players learn to adapt, overcome this, to play better. As they say, iron sharpens iron.
          10. Crossfire works harder than anyone, except a few outliers out there. They practice 4x a week. Most clubs practice 2x a week. That is a big deal. It’s not economical for most clubs, but economics don’t drive youth player development. If you look to Brazil, Argentina, most kids play street ball until age 13-14. In essence, that type of play is what develops creativity, intelligence, ball mastery, confidence and mental outlook in the game.

These are some of the considerations that have made Crossfire dominant in the B2012 & 2013 age levels.

It’s hopeful other clubs can learn from each other and develop the talent regionally.
          Lol. Until the P5 D1 schools recruit international players or MLS players. Call me when your
          boy is at the Sounders Academy. Good chance your boy will be done by U16 and quit soccer,
          so relax with the bragging ulittle dad.

Comment

Lol. Until the P5 D1 schools recruit international players or MLS players. Call me when your
            boy is at the Sounders Academy. Good chance your boy will be done by U16 and quit soccer,

Don’t let all these haters affect your kids progress…

This information is helpful for parents out there wanting to give their kids the best opportunity.

And clubs insight, how others are successfully running their programs.

Ideally, clubs can share best practices to raise the regional game.

Keep doing what you are doing, and step by step your kid can continually improve.

With a kid in Sounders Academy, it does start young and congrats you are on the right track!

Comment

This is all accurate. I watch it 4-5 nights a week
              It’s a lot of commitment to do these things at such an early age. It basically leaves no time for other sports. Soccer would be the one and only activity. I am not sure the return on investment is worthwhile for this pathway and I suspect there is a high burnout rate.

Comment

Sounders Academy, haha. Be a Pro by 16 or beg your way to Crossfire after you get cut. I guess you'd better hope you son is one of the chosen ones. If not, he can work for Chipotle wages and play for the worst USL team in the country (soon to be MLS2 from the shame of getting smashed in USL).
                I'll stop you before you begin with the hater comments, I am rooting for all of the kids. I hope it works for all of them.

Comment

That’s so true . Kids that have been doing that garbage since 5/6 years old are burnt out by 15/16 years old .

Comment

It’s a lot of commitment to do these things at such an early age. It basically leaves no time for other sports. Soccer would be the one and only activity. I am not sure the return on investment is worthwhile for this pathway and I suspect there is a high burnout rate.
                    soccer is my kids favorite sport, but we also do basketball, mixed martial arts(3), track and swim team.

agree life should not be about sports alone. and the goal is not to have my kid fallout of the system one day. sports reflect life lessons of accountability, dedication, perseverance, teamwork, hard work, etc

I have personally experienced those values transfer into real life

talking about failure, burnout or diminishing any kids potential at a young age is negative energy that we chose not to accept.

It comes across as hating, but I don’t take it personal. I see your wisdom, heeding warnings and am thankful for your concerns. appreciate that you want every kid to meet their full potential. that is the right energy focus :)

Comment

That’s so true . Kids that have been doing that garbage since 5/6 years old are burnt out by 15/16 years old .
                      Disagree that all of that is garbage…way too harsh!

Garbage would be something you consume and throw away, like a candy wrapper.

I’d term all of that as instructional, or learning.

For Coerver Juniors, instruction starts slow and deliberate, but the kids learn the foundational elements in soccer that helps them build onto.

This only helps them play better soccer on teams, which in turn fuels their passion in the game, versus burning them out.

At 15/16, I’ve seen a lot of kids burnout, because they lack the skillset, especially in those transitional years, the late bloomers suffer first.

Comment

soccer is my kids favorite sport, but we also do basketball, mixed martial arts(3), track and swim team.

agree life should not be about sports alone. and the goal is not to have my kid fallout of the system one day. sports reflect life lessons of accountability, dedication, perseverance, teamwork, hard work, etc

I have personally experienced those values transfer into real life

talking about failure, burnout or diminishing any kids potential at a young age is negative energy that we chose not to accept.

It comes across as hating, but I don’t take it personal. I see your wisdom, heeding warnings and am thankful for your concerns. appreciate that you want every kid to meet their full potential. that is the right energy focus :)
                        Curious, at what age will your kids settle into one sport? My DD age 12 does two right now and tbh, I don't know how much longer I can handle driving and now flying to games for both sports.

Comment

Curious, at what age will your kids settle into one sport? My DD age 12 does two right now and tbh, I don't know how much longer I can handle driving and now flying to games for both sports.
                          Other sports, like american football, basketball, baseball, track can usually be played together until college. But soccer is unique in that in does have kids specializing in just one sport (soccer) early.

I recommend high level soccer players to specialize in soccer before jr highschool. It is a sport that really requires focused specific training all year around. Many parents will say "I want my kid to be well rounded and basketball does help my kid in soccer." But coaches and true athletes know you have to specialize early for soccer. It just is that kind of sport.

Comment

Funny, my kid was recruited to play soccer by a number of D1 schools and many of them were glad that the kid plays more than 1 sport.
                            One even said that they do not recruit single sport soccer players only. I asked why and they said that the burnout and injury rate is to high.

Don’t get me wrong, it was a fight with the clubs. But the schools see the kid as an athlete and not just a soccer player.

Just something to think about.

Comment

I think it’s possible to play multiple sports while also “specializing” in soccer. My daughter plays soccer year round, often practices 4-5 times a week, does camps and privates almost all summer, etc. etc. Soccer is clearly her number one. Outside of a short cross country and track season at school she plays no other organized sports. That being said, she’s also an avid trail runner and snowboards 50+ days a year. She definitely “specializes, in soccer (easily 1000+ hours a year), but I would put her pretty firmly within the definition of multi-sport athlete. I think the problem becomes when parents and/or kids try to do multiple sports at a very high level. Playing ECNL and AAU basketball probably isn’t sustainable. Competitive gymnastics and travel soccer isn’t likely to work. Kids and families are different, some can handle more than others, and it certainly helps if there isn’t a financial barrier, but that’s when you start to see injuries and burnout.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X