Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I’m also a scientist, something cons know little about so it’s not worth my time to go into any detail in my responses. They will need to take my word for it, I have more knowledge and experience than the stupid discredited scientists you quote from Stanford, Yale, and the Clinton administration. During my long days of medical research, I take time every 15 minutes to respond to every post on an anonymous internet board. Even 3 word posts require me to opine into a 5 paragraph off topic diatribe. Unlike the big mouth dooooooshbag cons, I follow our motto here in the scientific community, “let the science speak.”
    💯 💯 funny stuff that

Comment

I’m also a scientist, something cons know little about so it’s not worth my time to go into any detail in my responses. They will need to take my word for it, I have more knowledge and experience than the stupid discredited scientists you quote from Stanford, Yale, and the Clinton administration. During my long days of medical research, I take time every 15 minutes to respond to every post on an anonymous internet board. Even 3 word posts require me to opine into a 5 paragraph off topic diatribe. Unlike the big mouth dooooooshbag cons, I follow our motto here in the scientific community, “let the science speak.”
      Awesome!

So relying on your professional experience and knowledge and explaining your take on the question by citing relevant data, what is your take on the probable longevity of immunity from the COVID vaccines?

1 yr? Longer? And why?

It’s a very important question as the pharma execs are pushing annual shots.

I look forward to hearing from you. I love discourse with peers.

Would disappoint me if you prove out to be a fake via your inability to engage credibly on the question.

Please make my day

Comment

Awesome!

So relying on your professional experience and knowledge and explaining your take on the question by citing relevant data, what is your take on the probable longevity of immunity from the COVID vaccines?

1 yr? Longer? And why?

It’s a very important question as the pharma execs are pushing annual shots.

I look forward to hearing from you. I love discourse with peers.

Would disappoint me if you prove out to be a fake via your inability to engage credibly on the question.

Please make my day
        Not the "scientist" but even I know viruses mutate all the time, sometimes becoming weaker, sometimes stronger, sometimes changing so that a different demographic group gets hit worse (eg. the 1918 pandemic was much worse with young adults round 2). Just like flu viruses change and we need different vaccines each year, so do Corona viruses - we just don't know how long this round of vaccines will provide protection. Scientists can seemingly work miracles sometimes, but they can't predict all.

Comment

Not the "scientist" but even I know viruses mutate all the time, sometimes becoming weaker, sometimes stronger, sometimes changing so that a different demographic group gets hit worse (eg. the 1918 pandemic was much worse with young adults round 2). Just like flu viruses change and we need different vaccines each year, so do Corona viruses - we just don't know how long this round of vaccines will provide protection. Scientists can seemingly work miracles sometimes, but they can't predict all.
          So are you the person who claimed to be a scientist “too,” or not? I suspect you are shape shifting again.

So let me establish my real science cred with a succinct, on point post.

The bolded part above is what the general public has gleaned about how viruses evolve from news about Covid variants

The bolded part describes antigenic drift and applies to all viruses and even life forms …..random mutations that sometimes enhance viral fitness and sometimes reduce it.

The reason we need flu vaccines every year is because influenza virus, unlike coronavirus, has a “segmented” genome whereas any coronavirus has a single continuous open reading frame (ORF) to its genome. Influenza uses a process called antigenic drift to evolve far more rapidly than antigenic drift would ever see. Different flu viruses often coinfect the same cells and when that happens, entire segments are swapped and reassorted.

Now, I think we will probably see a booster within a year, but that’s for better coverage of a variant. Once that happens, I’m going to stick with my long term hypothesis that we should be good for at least 3-5 years. Maybe ten like tetanus and maybe forever as a recent study suggested.

So ^^^^ is the current science bar for you cons. When you tell everyone I don’t know what I’m talking about, try to sound as credulous.

Too easy cons. Too easy

Hope you learned something at least.

Comment

So are you the person who claimed to be a scientist “too,” or not? I suspect you are shape shifting again.

The bolded part above is what the general public has gleaned about how viruses evolve from news about Covid variants

The bolded part describes antigenic shift and applies to all viruses and even life forms …..random mutations that sometimes enhance viral fitness and sometimes reduce it.

The reason we need flu vaccines every year is because influenza virus, unlike coronavirus, has a “segmented” genome whereas any coronavirus has a single continuous open reading frame (ORF) to its genome. Influenza uses a process called antigenic SHIFT to evolve far more rapidly than antigenic drift would ever see. Different flu viruses often coinfect the same cells and when that happens, entire segments are swapped and reassorted.

Now, I think we will probably see a booster within a year, but that’s for better coverage of a variant. Once that happens, I’m going to stick with my long term hypothesis that we should be good for at least 3-5 years. Maybe ten like tetanus and maybe forever as a recent study suggested.

So ^^^^ is the current science bar for you cons. When you tell everyone I don’t know what I’m talking about, try to sound as credulous.

Too easy cons. Too easy

Bolded capitalized part …meant to type shift in OP.

Comment

Liberal journalist Matthew Yglesias thrashed the mainstream media's widespread dismissal of the Wuhan lab leak coronavirus theory, writing Wednesday it was a "genuinely catastrophic media f---up" that unfairly maligned Sen. Tom Cotton, R-Ark.

It marks yet another example of the media's turn on the origins of the deadly virus that has upended the planet and killed millions over the past 18 months.

The media error in this case, Yglesias argued on his website SlowBoring, largely arose from Cotton's early theorizing last year that the virus escaped the Wuhan Institute of Virology being conflated with the idea Cotton had accused China of purposefully releasing a bio-weapon. That, along with Cotton's reputation as a China hawk, led news outlets to mischaracterize his arguments.

Cotton from the outset of the pandemic questioned the official Chinese government accounting of the virus' animal origins, at the same time other theories arose that the Chinese may have purposefully engineered it

In an appearance on CBS' Face The Nation last February, Chinese Ambassador to the United States Cui Tiankai was asked about Cotton's charge "the virus may have come from China’s biological warfare program," which he dismissed as "crazy." Politico managing editor Blake Hounshell linked to his outlet's writeup of the exchange and said it was "wild to see [Cotton] spreading rumors about a Chinese bioweapon that were easily debunked within minutes."

"At this point, Cotton had achieved what’s really the greatest achievement possible for a Republican Party politician — he was unfairly maligned by the MSM," Yglesias wrote.

The Washington Post, New York Times, and others wrote last year that Cotton had embraced a "fringe" or "conspiracy" theory. The Times story, Yglesias noted, was "overwhelmingly about people who are not Tom Cotton saying something different from what Tom Cotton said."

"[The Times story] is also a reminder that this was a different era of Covid politics, because one of the reasons [the author] gives for doubting that it’s a deliberately engineered bioweapon (which again, is not what Cotton said) is that the virus isn’t really that big of a deal because younger and healthier people don’t have much to fear from it," he wrote.

Comment

Sorry cons, you'll have to find something else to whine about

Biden asks intelligence community to redouble efforts to determine definitive origin of the coronavirus
                https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...a0d_story.html

Comment

The bolded part describes antigenic drift and applies to all viruses and even life forms …..random mutations that sometimes enhance viral fitness and sometimes reduce it.

The reason we need flu vaccines every year is because influenza virus, unlike coronavirus, has a “segmented” genome whereas any coronavirus has a single continuous open reading frame (ORF) to its genome. Influenza uses a process called antigenic drift to evolve far more rapidly than antigenic drift would ever see. Different flu viruses often coinfect the same cells and when that happens, entire segments are swapped and reassorted.

Too easy cons. Too easy

In case you hadn't figure it out I was actually agreeing with you and I'm most definitely not a con. Cons see to think that because we will need boosters it means the current vaccine is pointless. It doesn't mean anything of the kind, but facts go right over their heads.

The internet/social media/politics has the anti-vax movement firing on all cylinders. Makes me miss the good old days when conspiracy nutters had to mail newsletters to their fellow nutters.

Comment

Sorry cons, you'll have to find something else to whine about

Biden asks intelligence community to redouble efforts to determine definitive origin of the coronavirus
                    https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...a0d_story.html
                    Thanks, you're a bit late though.

Wondering why the left resisted so vocally for the past year? You know why: Trump.

Comment

Wondering why the left resisted so vocally for the past year? You know why: Trump.
                      A bit of that yes. Also a bit of "we're in a crisis right now, let's sort the rest out in time." Also, new information came to light regarding timing of certain events that made it more of a possibility.

Finally, if Trump really wanted to nail China for it, why didn't he?

Comment

Why would you blame cons for reflexively disagreeing with Trump considering how many times he lied and blurted out allegations untethered to reality? There's a story about that I read to my kids ages ago: the Boy Who Cried Wolf. When you doubt everything someone says because they've been caught in so many lies it's difficult to believe anything that come out of that liar's mouth, unless of course you're a member of the liar's cult.

Comment

A bit of that yes. Also a bit of "we're in a crisis right now, let's sort the rest out in time." Also, new information came to light regarding timing of certain events that made it more of a possibility.

Finally, if Trump really wanted to nail China for it, why didn't he?
                          The message was never "we'll sort it out in time". It's "I'm wicked smaahht, you're an idiot and take off your tinfoil hate you moron."

Was it new information...or just information that was previously ignored because of the big back orange guy?

Comment

Why would you blame cons for reflexively disagreeing with Trump considering how many times he lied and blurted out allegations untethered to reality? There's a story about that I read to my kids ages ago: the Boy Who Cried Wolf. When you doubt everything someone says because they've been caught in so many lies it's difficult to believe anything that come out of that liar's mouth, unless of course you're a member of the liar's cult.
                            And, as we are finding out...more and more of what he said wasn't actually wrong. It's just that because it came from an argumentative POS, too many of us just ignored him out of spite.

Not defending him...he tried the my way or the highway approach...and instead everyone just said "fvck it, he's out in 4 years and then we can start anew".

Comment

In case you hadn't figure it out I was actually agreeing with you and I'm most definitely not a con. Cons see to think that because we will need boosters it means the current vaccine is pointless. It doesn't mean anything of the kind, but facts go right over their heads.

The internet/social media/politics has the anti-vax movement firing on all cylinders. Makes me miss the good old days when conspiracy nutters had to mail newsletters to their fellow nutters.
                              I just thought it was important to share that influenza viruses accelerate the speed at which it escapes pre-existing immune recognition, via vax or actual infection, via mechanisms that coronavirus cannot employ. There is a lot of (incorrect) Conventional wisdom that we need new vaccines year after year for Covid as for flu and that’s not supported by the science

Comment

And, as we are finding out...more and more of what he said wasn't actually wrong. It's just that because it came from an argumentative POS, too many of us just ignored him out of spite.

Not defending him...he tried the my way or the highway approach...and instead everyone just said "fvck it, he's out in 4 years and then we can start anew".
                                But what is still not actually wrong is the dangerous notion that it’s a man made virus, weaponized by the Chinese. Thanks the bonkers crap that was still being aired out on FOX.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X