Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That 70's (Shlt)Show

Surging consumer prices and gasoline shortages have sparked concerns the U.S. economy could relive the nightmarish stagflation of President Jimmy Carter’s administration in the late 1970s.

Stagflation is defined as a period of inflation with declining economic output.

The economy under Carter experienced inflation and unemployment that were both in the double digits as the result of an oil price shock that began when Iranian oil workers went on strike.

"Six months ago, America was energy-independent. Now we have gas lines," tweeted House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif. "President Biden is well on his way to creating another Jimmy Carter economy."

Gas stations across the East Coast have for the last week faced fuel shortages and long lines after the 5,500-mile Colonial Pipeline, which supplies almost half the region’s supply, was taken offline by hackers. The outages evoked memories of the gas lines that occurred during the sharp drop in Iranian oil production at the end of the Carter administration.

Additionally, a Labor Department report released last week showed core consumer prices, which exclude food and energy, rose 0.9% in April, the most since September 1982, when the U.S. economy was emerging from its decade-long bout with stagflation. Annually, prices were up 4.2%, the biggest increase since September 2008.

Rising consumer prices aren’t the only worry for economists, who are also assessing the possibility of a slowing U.S. economy.

The labor market last month added a disappointing 266,000 jobs as the unemployment rate ticked up to 6.1%. Economists surveyed by Refinitiv were anticipating the addition of 978,000 jobs as the unemployment rate fell to 5.8%. This as manufacturers are grappling with supply shortages caused by the pandemic.

"Six months ago, America was energy-independent. Now we have gas lines," tweeted House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif. "President Biden is well on his way to creating another Jimmy Carter economy."

Yet another con who doesn't understand the basic concept of supply/demand/price or how unpredictable supply chain issues can cause short term price surges. This is nothing at all like the 70s.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

Additionally, a Labor Department report released last week showed core consumer prices, which exclude food and energy, rose 0.9% in April, the most since September 1982, when the U.S. economy was emerging from its decade-long bout with stagflation. Annually, prices were up 4.2%, the biggest increase since September 2008.
      A one month comparison to a year prior where the economy was tanking? Not a relevant data point and doesn't mean it's a trend.

Comment

Just want to make sure I get talking points correct today. I didn't get my daily chatter.

So, anything we consider good today, is because of the new leadership and their decisive actions.

Anything we consider bad today, is the result of the previous administration and their lack of actions, and their racism.

Did I get that correct?

Comment

Just want to make sure I get talking points correct today. I didn't get my daily chatter.

So, anything we consider good today, is because of the new leadership and their decisive actions.

Anything we consider bad today, is the result of the previous administration and their lack of actions, and their racism.

Did I get that correct?
          I ❤️ 💕 💗 all ^^^^ con butt hurt. Magnificent.

Carry on, g’uvnor!

Comment

I ❤️ 💕 💗 all ^^^^ con butt hurt. Magnificent.

Carry on, g’uvnor!
            So, you answered my question, which is that my talking points were correct.

Thank you!

Comment

So, you answered my question, which is that my talking points were correct.

Thank you!
              😂😂😂😂😂😂

Is that what you think that response meant, g’uvnor?

😂😂😂😂😂😂

Please keep flying your “butt hurt” flag. We ❤️ it!

Comment

Democrats are well on the road to destroying the country.

Declining standards in the schools (to the extent they are even open).

Declining standards in the workforce.

Death of meritocracy.

Death of personal responsibility.

Burgeoning culture of excuses and copouts.

More handouts to destroy motivation and self-reliance.

Higher costs.

Higher crime.

Fifth everywhere in our cities.

Ever worsening hatred and division.

Enemies across the globe emboldened.

Sad.

Comment

😂😂😂😂😂😂

Is that what you think that response meant, g’uvnor?

😂😂😂😂😂😂

Please keep flying your “butt hurt” flag. We ❤️ it!
                  Well, to be clear, other than the voices in your head that encourage your, nobody really knows what your babbles mean most of the time.

But, in the meantime, I'm going with:

All good stuff is due to your dear grandpa.

All the bad stuff is due to the orange mean tweeter.

Comment

Democrats are well on the road to destroying the country.

Declining standards in the schools (to the extent they are even open).

Declining standards in the workforce.

Death of meritocracy.

Death of personal responsibility.

Burgeoning culture of excuses and copouts.

More handouts to destroy motivation and self-reliance.

Higher costs.

Higher crime.

Fifth everywhere in our cities.

Ever worsening hatred and division.

Enemies across the globe emboldened.

Sad.
                    ^^^^ blah, blah, woof woof, wash, rinse repeat

Meanwhile, back in reality land ……

President Biden enjoys widespread job approval, as Americans’ optimism about the future continues to climb, according to a poll released Monday by The Associated Press and NORC.

Sixty-three percent of Americans said they approved of the work Biden was doing as president, while just 36 percent disapproved. That spread of 27 percentage points represents the widest approval margin in an A.P./NORC poll since Mr. Biden took office.
                    So our con stands with the (approximately) 1/3 “rump minority” of the country ….pick up your booby prize at the door on your way out, con.

I ❤️ it!

Comment

Well, to be clear, other than the voices in your head that encourage your, nobody really knows what your babbles mean most of the time.

But, in the meantime, I'm going with:

All good stuff is due to your dear grandpa.

All the bad stuff is due to the orange mean tweeter.
                      As for you, purveying your con gloom and doom when a startling 2/3 feels the country is heading in the right direction.

I know that upsets you and you need to be in denial, but facts ARE facts.

How soon do you think the Republican pedos from FL like Matt Gaetz will be arrested? I bet Matt would LOVE to give the teenage daughters of all you cons a nice squeeze, given his pedo predilections. Thank God he will be brought to heel soon. We Libs care about protecting your children even as you offer them up to your Lords and Masters, Trump, Gaetz, and other sexually depraved Republicans.

Democrats are the party of decency and mom’s Apple pie.

With Gaetz, Hastert, Foley, Roy Moore, the GQP is the pedophilia friendly party!

Comment

Typical day:

Someone points out the shltshow going on around us every day.

Tee Hee replies with Biden's job approval numbers....

Comment

As for you, purveying your con gloom and doom when a startling 2/3 feels the country is heading in the right direction.

I know that upsets you and you need to be in denial, but facts ARE facts.

How soon do you think the Republican pedos from FL like Matt Gaetz will be arrested? I bet Matt would LOVE to give the teenage daughters of all you cons a nice squeeze, given his pedo predilections. Thank God he will be brought to heel soon. We Libs care about protecting your children even as you offer them up to your Lords and Masters, Trump, Gaetz, and other sexually depraved Republicans.

Democrats are the party of decency and mom’s Apple pie.

With Gaetz, Hastert, Foley, Roy Moore, the GQP is the pedophilia friendly party!
                          Complains about the doom and gloom...then proceeds to purvey more doom and gloom....

Comment

Typical day:

Someone points out the shltshow going on around us every day.

Tee Hee replies with Biden's job approval numbers....
                            I know, I know …..

It upsets you that data shows you are part of a “rump minority” based on your views. They just aren’t shared by 2/3 of the public, a bipartisan slide of the USA.

So typical day that cons hysterical, “sky is falling” posts are put into context of what they are, sad bleats from the GQP sheep!

Comment

Complains about the doom and gloom...then proceeds to purvey more doom and gloom....
                              GQP pedos being locked up is “gloom and doom?” I think you are showing your true colors there.

When a pedophile like Gaetz gets charged, that’s a cause for CELEBRATION!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X