Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seattle United OPD Bias?

Hearing there is some controversy on the boys side at multiple age groups with WYS/EPD having SU coaches making the decisions picking an inordinate amount of SU players (11 or 12 out of 15 at one age group) for the OPD camp in Denver next week.

Regardless of whether the kids are deserving or not (and I’m sure many certainly are), the optics are horrible. But until other clubs pull a XF and essentially prohibit their players from participating in EPD, I’m not sure much can or will be done

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hearing there is some controversy on the boys side at multiple age groups with WYS/EPD having SU coaches making the decisions picking an inordinate amount of SU players (11 or 12 out of 15 at one age group) for the OPD camp in Denver next week.

Regardless of whether the kids are deserving or not (and I’m sure many certainly are), the optics are horrible. But until other clubs pull a XF and essentially prohibit their players from participating in EPD, I’m not sure much can or will be done
    I haven’t heard any controversy… OP is just starting sh1t

Comment

I haven’t heard any controversy… OP is just starting sh1t
      Didn’t realize all controversy had to be cleared with you first before posting. Sorry about that. Hope your kid does well there.

Comment

Your kid didn’t make it. And because of that you want to complain.

Comment

Sheesh. Nube. That's crap has been going on since my kid was a ulittle. Just deal with it
          and try out again next year. Dude, the regional pool has already been picked by the coaches
          and maybe your kid can make the pool if he shows, but definitely not if the coach does not
          support or like him. There will be 3 group. 1. Pool 2. Bubble 3. Paying rent
          Understand which group your kid is in.

It's cool. It is really a good resume builder BUT your kid has to show at the college ID camps.

Comment

This is always the case. The coach from the club pulls in the most players. A few years back it was PAC on the girls side. The girls are there this week and many clubs are represented. XF girls are included in EPD, many are not at regional camp because of playoff games.

Comment

ODP is dead anyways. Who cares?

Comment

WA youth soccer is falling apart. All the big clubs are moving to ecnl, the EPD system is not based on skills and true merit my. I do agree the majority of the kids are selected based on the coaches politics and home club, leaving a few spots for the deserving kids to fight over. As a disclaimer my kid was picked for both EPD and Regional but I still think the system is broken and unfair.

Comment

WA youth soccer is falling apart. All the big clubs are moving to ecnl, the EPD system is not based on skills and true merit my. I do agree the majority of the kids are selected based on the coaches politics and home club, leaving a few spots for the deserving kids to fight over. As a disclaimer my kid was picked for both EPD and Regional but I still think the system is broken and unfair.
                  Like I said, this is all window dressing until the real show in FRONT OF COLLEGE COACHES.
                  Check out the ID camps schedules during the summer. There is no time for tomfoolery, lads.

Comment

I have 2 kids who never made EPD/OPD despite receiving many other soccer opportunities with equal/more prestige. Somebody posted a link on another thread claiming soccer is one of the most subjective sports. If your kid makes OPD and enjoys it, great! My attitude when mine didn't make it was: a. more time to study and have a life outside soccer and b. less risk of overuse injuries. It sucks that the process can be political, but parents have to process set backs with kids in a way that prepares them for life. There's a lot of politics out there, and there will also be times when your kid applies for a job and genuinely isn't the best candidate - they need to know how to bounce back. One team, one job etc is only one opportunity among many out there

Comment

Originally posted by unregistered View Post
                      i have 2 kids who never made epd/opd despite receiving many other soccer opportunities with equal/more prestige. Somebody posted a link on another thread claiming soccer is one of the most subjective sports. If your kid makes opd and enjoys it, great! My attitude when mine didn't make it was: A. More time to study and have a life outside soccer and b. Less risk of overuse injuries. It sucks that the process can be political, but parents have to process set backs with kids in a way that prepares them for life. There's a lot of politics out there, and there will also be times when your kid applies for a job and genuinely isn't the best candidate - they need to know how to bounce back. One team, one job etc is only one opportunity among many out there
                      +1000

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      Working...
                      X