Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Declining ECNL promotion... consequences?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Declining ECNL promotion... consequences?

My DD will most likely have a chance to fill an opening on an ECNL roster. We are strongly considering passing when/if she is offered the chance to move to the ECNL team. This year, school is going to take priority over soccer and we don't want to travel every other weekend. Although we can afford it, we prefer to use the funds spent on soccer travel, on other things.

After listening to "We expect soccer to be your number one focus, above other activities" speech every year, I am wondering what the consequence will be.

Will my DD be labeled 'not serious about soccer' and be passed up for promotions in future years? Or if a player is a top player, will it not matter, and she will be given the same opportunities as her teammates?

I'm aware that some coaches expect loyalty and expect families to center their life around soccer. Egos are a given in competitive sports for both parents and coaches.

My DD would like to play soccer in college, but it is not her number one goal.

If your daughter is a strong player that the coach wants, you will get push back: she won't develop, she won't be seen for college etc. If she's not a top player, the coach will have no trouble filling that spot with someone who is eager for the chance.

The ECNL travel isn't that bad -- maybe three showcases during the season and trips to Boise and Portland that you would have to do with a lower team anyway. My daughter switched to ECNL from DA and the travel was far less, and fall off for high school soccer.

If she wants to play D3 only in college, she should be able to find a spot if she is a solid player and markets herself to coaches. Getting a D2 or D1 spot may be harder, not because those coaches prefer ECNL necessarily, but just because it will be challengin to get the visibility without the ECNL showcases

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      If your daughter is a strong player that the coach wants, you will get push back: she won't develop, she won't be seen for college etc. If she's not a top player, the coach will have no trouble filling that spot with someone who is eager for the chance.

The ECNL travel isn't that bad -- maybe three showcases during the season and trips to Boise and Portland that you would have to do with a lower team anyway. My daughter switched to ECNL from DA and the travel was far less, and fall off for high school soccer.

If she wants to play D3 only in college, she should be able to find a spot if she is a solid player and markets herself to coaches. Getting a D2 or D1 spot may be harder, not because those coaches prefer ECNL necessarily, but just because it will be challengin to get the visibility without the ECNL showcases
      Really depends on age, whether the kid is a top player in the ECNL group, and if so why. If the kid really has + athleticism (like is one of the couple fastest people in their age group and has decent enough touch and strong finishing) and a knack for scoring goals even against top competition there will always be a spot as a dp or a roster opening if and when she’s ready for it. Players whose edge is technical ability or tactical awareness are more likely to fall behind if not in a competitive daily training and playing environment, but even then there’s a good argument for being in the environment where you will be on the ball as much as possible (and supplementing with higher level play when you can) at the younger ECNL ages.

Comment

My DD will most likely have a chance to fill an opening on an ECNL roster. We are strongly considering passing when/if she is offered the chance to move to the ECNL team. This year, school is going to take priority over soccer and we don't want to travel every other weekend. Although we can afford it, we prefer to use the funds spent on soccer travel, on other things.

After listening to "We expect soccer to be your number one focus, above other activities" speech every year, I am wondering what the consequence will be.

Will my DD be labeled 'not serious about soccer' and be passed up for promotions in future years? Or if a player is a top player, will it not matter, and she will be given the same opportunities as her teammates?

I'm aware that some coaches expect loyalty and expect families to center their life around soccer. Egos are a given in competitive sports for both parents and coaches.

90% of coaches will understand a child needing to take a year following a different path. However, if she is marginally better than a more “committed” player, which would you choose?

Comment

What Club?
          What Age Group?
          Depends on the Coach-Team-Schedule?

Comment

What Club?
            What Age Group?
            Depends on the Coach-Team-Schedule?
            Was going to post the same thing. It is highly dependent on the club and coach if you are seen as a non committed player. Some clubs don't care and understand. Others are hyper competitive and get offended.

If you are at an ECNL club and are not on the ECNL team. Are you going to accept a spot on the ECNLR team. ECNLR is still flushing out schedules/travels and such, but I think all the local ECNL clubs also signed up for ECNLR. Does anyone know of a club with ECNL that is not doing ECNLR for the second team? So if you are currently at the club and aging into ECNL next year then you will have to drop to the third team. Which the play not be good enough or competitive enough to keep your kid interested. If you are not yet at the club and the club wants you to come join and you decline nicely then you have burned no bridge. Most clubs will take you back the following year, or even mid year if the spot is not full.

Comment

The last post hits the mark, ECNL-RL travel is just a little less than ECNL in maybe 1 less showcase. The league games are going to be virtually the same. If you want to do significantly less travel you would need to be in RCL (C team at the large clubs). It's my opinion that would really hurt long term development for a truly high level player.

Comment

What did your daughter decide to do?

Comment

What did your daughter decide to do?
                  I'm the OP.
                  Decided to stay put (B team), coach knows she will not accept the promotion for the time being. U13 and yes ECNLR is right around the corner, which I hadn't factored in. Thanks for pointing that out, whoever did. Coach isn't thrilled about her not going all in, as another poster mentioned might happen.. I think there are one or two girls that made the ECNL, who's family for whatever reason are having second thoughts or facing some challenges related to travel. The door is left open to working her way up. Club is still happy to accept our $3000/year.

My DD is happy, I'm happy.

Thanks for the input, it was helpful to hear what to expect.

Not mentioning the club there are only 5. Club/coach seems understanding, maybe because a handful of girls hung up their boots this year after playing U littles up to U13.

Comment

I'm the OP.
                    Decided to stay put (B team), coach knows she will not accept the promotion for the time being. U13 and yes ECNLR is right around the corner, which I hadn't factored in. Thanks for pointing that out, whoever did. Coach isn't thrilled about her not going all in, as another poster mentioned might happen.. I think there are one or two girls that made the ECNL, who's family for whatever reason are having second thoughts or facing some challenges related to travel. The door is left open to working her way up. Club is still happy to accept our $3000/year.

My DD is happy, I'm happy.

Thanks for the input, it was helpful to hear what to expect.

Not mentioning the club there are only 5. Club/coach seems understanding, maybe because a handful of girls hung up their boots this year after playing U littles up to U13.

This is youth soccer, you are not allowed to be happy and your daughter should feel the shame of not being on the elitist of elite ECNL team everyday for the rest of her life knowing that she will never be the next Alex Morgan and no colleges will ever see her at surf cup........just kidding congrats on your nirvana. Happy kids is what it is all supposed to be about.

Comment

I’m curious as to how it played out for this year and where she ended up…

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      Working...
                      X