Houston Dash expected to appoint new head coach imminently

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Houston Dash expected to appoint new head coach imminently

The Equalizer understands that the Houston Dash are in the final stages of appointing a new head coach. Pending league process and approval, an announcement will come before the upcoming National Women’s Soccer League Expansion Draft on December 15.

After a lengthy interview process, the Texas club has zeroed in on a candidate and the new coaching hire could take place this week. The Dash have been without a head coach since September, when it sacked Sam Laity after just 18 league matches in charge. Winless in eight games at the time of his dismissal, the Englishman had a record of 4-6-8 in the 2023 season. Under Laity, Houston boasted the best defensive record (conceded 15) but also the worst scoring record (scored 12) in the NWSL.

On Monday, first assistant Sarah Lowdon departed the Dash after two seasons. In both 2022 and 2023, the Englishwoman was thrust into the position of interim head coach. Houston went 6-6-3 over the two seasons under her leadership. Lowdon was a popular figure with the fanbase and delivered a heartfelt message upon announcing her pursuit of “new opportunities.”

“After my family, this club has been the most important part of my life for the past two years. I leave with incredible memories, including securing playoffs for the first time in club history. While every environment has challenges, it has been an honor to serve and lead when called upon,” Lowdon said, via a statement.

The Equalizer understands that Lowdon was considered for the position of the new head coach. But the Dash ultimately went in a different direction.

More...
Working...
X