Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

‘I would have felt empty without this night’: Gotham FC players, fans finally celebrate their title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

‘I would have felt empty without this night’: Gotham FC players, fans finally celebrate their title

Reporting from Red Bull Arena in Harrison, N.J.

Returning to Red Bull Arena on the Monday before Thanksgiving is not what many had in mind, but to celebrate NJ/NY Gotham FC’s first-ever National Women’s Soccer League Championship, dedicated supporters were willing to make the trip.

After initially failing to put together a team celebration with fans to commemorate the team’s historic win, Gotham FC teamed up with supporters group Cloud 9 to put together a last-minute tribute to the team. Even with many having already left the market, 15 players were in attendance along with head coach Juan Carlos Amorós and general manager Yael Averbuch West to receive their flowers from season ticket holders and fans.

“I thought the event was nice for something put together a little on the fly,” Gotham supporter Marie Bober said. “Definitely some tweaks to be made next time so that everyone knew what to expect and could see and hear, but the energy was really good. I also really appreciated the players who could make it for coming out.”

Food and drinks were served while cheers echoed through the rooms of Red Bull Arena on Monday night. With the stadium itself being utilized for a youth event, Gotham made due with the space typically reserved for Founders Club season ticket holders.

“I felt bad the team was getting a lot of negative feedback on social media for not having something sooner, but they really did a great job putting something together on short notice,” Eric Fonseca said. “The vibes were on point. Everyone was cheering, clapping, smiling and laughing — good times all around!”

Access the best women’s soccer coverage all year long

Start your FREE, 7-day trial of The Equalizer Extra for industry-leading reporting and insight on the USWNT, NWSL and beyond.

Subscribe

Existing Users Sign In Here

More...
Working...
X