Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

‘Whatever position I play, I give it my best’: Nighswonger on first USWNT call-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

‘Whatever position I play, I give it my best’: Nighswonger on first USWNT call-up

Jenna Nighswonger has had a truly banner year. After being named the 2023 Rookie of the Year, the Gotham FC outside back topped it all off with a National Women’s Soccer League Championship win. Now, Nighswonger has earned a coveted call-up to the final U.S. women’s national team camp of the calendar year.

“It’s definitely been an amazing nine months and I feel very grateful for the opportunity to play at Gotham and win the championship and now get called in,” Nighswonger exclusively told The Equalizer. “It’s cliché to say I wouldn’t be here without my teammates, but I it’s genuinely from my heart. I always talk about coming into the new position and how helpful and selfless everyone was helping me day in and day out, off the field and on the field, it’s been a season-long effort of them helping me.”

As the fourth pick in the 2023 NWSL Draft, Nighswonger appeared in 20 games for Gotham while playing more than 1,500 minutes in her first professional season.

Access the best women’s soccer coverage all year long

Start your FREE, 7-day trial of The Equalizer Extra for industry-leading reporting and insight on the USWNT, NWSL and beyond.

Subscribe

Existing Users Sign In Here

More...
Working...
X