England searches for pride amongst immense World Cup final disappointment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

England searches for pride amongst immense World Cup final disappointment

A historic first-ever World Cup final has never tasted so bitter. At least for the time being.

Once the final whistle of the World Cup final was blown in Sydney, the England players were despondent as they floated around the Spanish pandemonium. The wound of defeat on the game’s biggest stage is about as raw as they come.

Some had a thousand yard stares, gazing off into the emptying corners of Stadium Australia. Others sank to the ground, perhaps with the faint hope it might actually swallow them up. But they all watched the Spanish collect their winners’ medals, lift the World Cup, set off fireworks and bathe in gold confetti.

“I’m just deflated,” Lucy Bronze told the mixed zone bluntly after the 1-0 defeat to Spain. “Obviously, we wanted to come to the World Cup to win it, and we were so close. But in the end, we just couldn’t quite get over the line.”

It can appear like a cruel joke. One team is frozen in disappointment. Forced to bear witness to the other, as they indulge in immense elation. The World Cup trophy in their grasp. And their grasp only.

“Yeah, it’s hard to watch another team celebrate when it’s obviously your goal and your dream and dream as a team. It’s really, really difficult,” a defiant Georgia Stanway said.

Gave it everything. Made us dream. Inspired the nation.

Proud pic.twitter.com/CsPqmNJC2s
    — Lionesses (@Lionesses) August 20, 2023

During England’s final post-match huddle of the World Cup, Bronze settled on the ground. All the other players were standing overhead. She had nothing left in the tank. The defender looked off in her own world a little.

Bronze was also the final England player to collect their runner up medal, while in deep conversation with head coach Sarina Wiegman. The honor didn’t last long around her neck.

“I think I’m proud of what the girls have achieved, what we’ve achieved. But everybody that knows me, knows that I only like gold medals,” said Bronze.

Perhaps what made the feeling of defeat so heavy for England in Sydney was the lack of “ifs” or “buts” surrounding the performance. Head coach Sarina Wiegman heartedly endorsed the theory that the best team won on the night. In terms of quality shown in the final, the Lionesses lagged behind.

“Most of all I feel disappointment,” Wiegman explained to the media. “So that is mainly how I feel. Spain played a little better than we did. The opponent was very strong…I think we can be very proud of ourselves even if it doesn’t feel that way right now.

“I think we gave everything. The players gave everything. We tried different tactics. I also have to give credit to Spain. I think they were the team over the whole tournament who played the best football.”

Although still slightly in a daze, when talking to the crowded microphones and recorders in the bowels of Stadium Australia, the England players were all in agreement they were second best on the night. The feeling that the Lionesses didn’t show its true colors, or play to its maximum potential was a theme.

When that winning feeling sinks in. @SEFutbolFem | #FIFAWWC pic.twitter.com/Y0dU4hbx7c
    — FIFA Women's World Cup (@FIFAWWC) August 20, 2023

“Obviously, it’s just gutting, it’s devastating. The way we played in the first half was not England standard,” Stanway sighed.

“They outplayed us,” Beth England summarized.

“We were a little bit off in that first half and they capitalized on that. They capitalized on us a little bit when we were out of shape, and I think we came out in the second half at a much better level. Just unfortunately short legs and all that,” centerback Jess Carter analyzed.

“When you’re on the backburner and concede it’s really hard to get the momentum back, ” England captain Millie Bright opined. “It’s a final, you’re going to see chances and they’re a top team. But, you know, we didn’t have that final ball.”

While the Lionesses’ dip in performance levels will get some of the blame, many will point to Spain’s elite ability to possess the ball and control the play. La Roja enjoyed 56% of the ball and completed 80% of their passes on the night.

Conversely, Bronze was adamant that you couldn’t just blame England’s defeat on Spain’s dominant possession style.

“I think in the first half maybe, they pulled us out of position. And yeah, I think that’s how they got the goal. But in the second half, we came out with a change of formation, probably should’ve scored at the back post, potentially Spain could have gone down to 10 players at one point as well, which didn’t really go in our favor. So yeah, I think then in the second half, there were parts of the game where, you know, we held on to possession,” said Bronze.

For Bronze, the feeling of hurt is multi-faceted too. After all, it was the Lionesses first-ever World Cup final. The closest they have come to lifting the globe’s most renowned trophy. But, approaching age 32, this could well be her third and final World Cup. Or maybe even the last time she is in an England shirt at a tournament.

However, any speculation that she might retire from international soccer after the final defeat was quickly quashed by the defender when she was asked about her future. Instead, Bronze reiterated how her mindset is already shifting to thinking about next year’s Olympics and the Euros after that in 2025.

pic.twitter.com/2Za09YU8ro
    — Lionesses (@Lionesses) August 20, 2023

Itis worth remembering that the final defeat to Spain is the first-ever for England under Wiegman at a tournament. The momentum, the coach, and the youth are all there for England to be a consistent trophy contender for years to come. England’s starting front three had an average age of 23.5, with 25-year-old Chloe Kelly and 21-year-old Lauren James coming off the bench.

When the dust settles on this heartbreak, things will feel different. The reality of the Lionesses going where no other England women’s team has gone before will be celebrated. Pride will replace the pain. Hope will wash away the hopelessness felt on Sunday in Sydney.

While Bright’s tears dried, and Bronze was consumed by the sting of defeat, Stanway and England rallied. England’s second-place finish at the 2023 World Cup is something to be proud of.

“We came this far, we made history. We’re competitive people. Everybody wants to win, no one wants to lose. We can come back again,” England remarked.

“We’ll be really proud of this. We hope we’ve inspired many, many people. And yeah, we’re the Lionesses. So we won’t stop what we’re doing, will continue to break barriers. We’ll continue to push on, particularly with Sarina [Wiegman] in the room,” Stanway declared.

More...
Working...
X