After years of sacrifices, Sofia Huerta is heading to the World Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After years of sacrifices, Sofia Huerta is heading to the World Cup

It is no secret what Sofia Huerta has gone through to get to this point. She has talked extensively in the last few years about what she has sacrificed and how she has adapted throughout her career to get here. But now it is real. Despite all the doubters, Sofia Huerta is going to her first major tournament with the U.S. Women’s National Team, having been named to Vlatko Andonovski’s 23-player squad last week.

“It is overwhelming. I’m really excited… I’ve faced a lot of adversity in my career and there were definitely times where I wasn’t sure if it was going to be possible for me to be named to a World Cup roster, Olympic roster. And I thought about it often you know? I just wasn’t sure if it was going to be in my future and that was difficult.”

Speaking at the USWNT’s media day, Huerta was in good spirits, but was forthcoming about the struggles it took to be named to her first World Cup roster.

Access the best women’s soccer coverage all year long

Start your FREE, 7-day trial of The Equalizer Extra for industry-leading reporting and insight on the USWNT, NWSL and beyond.

Subscribe

Existing Users Sign In Here

More...
Working...
X