Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cindy Parlow Cone re-elected as president of U.S. Soccer, defeating Carlos Cordeiro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cindy Parlow Cone re-elected as president of U.S. Soccer, defeating Carlos Cordeiro

Cindy Parlow Cone was re-elected president of U.S. Soccer on Saturday in a tightly contested race against former president Carlos Cordeiro, who was aiming for a return to the seat. Parlow Cone will serve a full, four-year term, dating to early 2026.

Parlow Cone won by a simple majority in the two-candidate race, earning 785.12 weighted votes to Cordeiro’s 698.26 weighted votes.

“To all of you who supported me, and all of you who supported my opponent, I say the same thing: The moment of division is now in the past,” she said in her acceptance speech. “We are one federation. We are one team. I promise to be the leader for all of U.S. Soccer. I have never been more excited and more hopeful about the future of our beautiful game. Our national teams are young, exciting, and full of promise. Our professional leagues are at the vanguard of driving our sport forward. The grassroots soccer is vibrant, healthy, and changing lives every day. And we are soon to host at least one World Cup and show the world what we have to offer.

“Now is the time for all of us to work together. No more divisions. We don’t have time for all of that. Our moment is now, and I promise you that each and every one of you have a friend and a partner in me as president of U.S. Soccer.”

U.S. women’s players publicly endorsed Parlow Cone on Friday. Last month, the federation announced a $24 million settlement to the six-year-long equal pay lawsuit, a boon for Cone ahead of the election.

A spokesperson for the U.S. women’s national team players on Saturday commended the election results.

Equal pay has gone from a whisper in the locker room to a roar on the field to fundamentally changing the business of sports and soccer in the United States, and around the world. We look forward to Cindy's leadership.
    — mollylevinson (@mollylevinson) March 5, 2022

This is a breaking news story that will be updated.

More...
Working...
X