Sofia Jakobsson sees move to San Diego as key to Sweden career, too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sofia Jakobsson sees move to San Diego as key to Sweden career, too

Sofia Jakobsson joined Bayern Munich on a free transfer from Real Madrid last summer with high expectations. On her mind was the ability to win major trophies and, crucially, be an important part of that journey for the team. The months which followed, however, did not play out as expected, with the 31-year-old Sweden international forward appearing in only a handful of matches.

Interest came from other clubs and soon Jakobsson became one of the higher-profile inaugural signings of National Women’s Soccer League expansion team San Diego Wave FC. Her decision to make the jump is once again multifaceted as she aims for success at the club level, with hopes of remaining a regular for Sweden throughout this cycle.

“It came up really fast during the January transfer window,” Jakobsson tells The Equalizer regarding her move. “I didn’t play as much as I would have like to at Bayern Munich, and then this opportunity came up. I felt like it would be super exciting and really good for me to head over there and hopefully get more playing time and be more prepared for the EUROs this summer, and hopefully help the team to [win].”

Access the best women’s soccer coverage all year long

Start your FREE, 7-day trial of The Equalizer Extra for industry-leading reporting and insight on the USWNT, NWSL and beyond.

Subscribe

Existing Users Sign In Here

More...
Working...
X