Talking-Soccer.com  

Go Back   Talking-Soccer.com > Soccer By Region / State > Region 1 > Connecticut

Notices

Connecticut Discussions about Connecticut soccer.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 06-11-2012
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Being from Fairfield county I have never been involved with Steve. Sean Driscoll runs the CFC Arsenal branch and it is run top notch. 2 practices a week with a technical session every week as well. Arsenal attend top tournaments too.

I don't think Steve is involved with the United/ECNL group either but I'm not positive about that.
Wouldn't recognize the guy if he rode over me on his horse and my daughter plays for CFC
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-11-2012
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Should CFC clone existing players and/or coaches to maintain quality?
Only if they want to keep the lack of quality and coaches!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-12-2012
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Cool CFC Alliance

Help me understand the CFC Alliance outfit... Is this another startup, like Azzurri? Or a re-branding of a prior club, like Extreme? I've seen some comments suggesting that this is a group of rebels from S+. If it is based on the U11 S+ pool that seemed to find some success in the U11 CJSA league (not the sternest test, I understand), what a back-breaker for TD. Just when they started to have a glimmer of hope in the pipeline.

Why doesn't SC just drive over and shoot TD's dog too... Cruel. Cruel.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-13-2012
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Help me understand the CFC Alliance outfit... Is this another startup, like Azzurri? Or a re-branding of a prior club, like Extreme? I've seen some comments suggesting that this is a group of rebels from S+. If it is based on the U11 S+ pool that seemed to find some success in the U11 CJSA league (not the sternest test, I understand), what a back-breaker for TD. Just when they started to have a glimmer of hope in the pipeline.

Why doesn't SC just drive over and shoot TD's dog too... Cruel. Cruel.
Here's my parental understanding of what is going on...

Rich Lewis was running the SoccerPlus Stars. All of us agree that that Lewis is an absolute disaster of a coach (he SHOULD NOT be coaching young kids), and SoccerPlus (and us parents) wanted him out after this season. So Lewis did what other unscrupulous people have done (last year it was John Salvatore with Soccer Extreme and Western United) and decided to attempt to steal the players and create a new CFC branch (sort of CFC Alliance of evil). (Lewis started recruiting people to leave SoccerPlus during the season while he was getting paid by SoccerPlus.)

The Stars U11 (arguably the best group of U11s in CT) will continue to be a SoccerPlus team, and we’ll eventually feed into the SoccerPlus ECNL teams at U13 or U14.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-13-2012
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Here's my parental understanding of what is going on...

Rich Lewis was running the SoccerPlus Stars. All of us agree that that Lewis is an absolute disaster of a coach (he SHOULD NOT be coaching young kids), and SoccerPlus (and us parents) wanted him out after this season. So Lewis did what other unscrupulous people have done (last year it was John Salvatore with Soccer Extreme and Western United) and decided to attempt to steal the players and create a new CFC branch (sort of CFC Alliance of evil). (Lewis started recruiting people to leave SoccerPlus during the season while he was getting paid by SoccerPlus.)

The Stars U11 (arguably the best group of U11s in CT) will continue to be a SoccerPlus team, and we’ll eventually feed into the SoccerPlus ECNL teams at U13 or U14.
If the guy's a bum, why did SP hire him? That doesn't speak well of SP. Of course, it wouldn't speak well of CFC either. If a coach is bad for kids you fire him / her. Period. You don't tell him he's got 90 days to clean out his locker - and bring the whole team with him to a rival club.

Since you have a kid on the team I guess you speak for her at the least. It will be interesting to see what the majority of players do. If this really is a strong group it will be difficult to split them up. I'd predict one big winner and one big loser in this little drama. Keep us posted. CFC opening a strong branch in that region would be a major happening for CT soccer as would the potential re-awakening of SP.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-13-2012
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default steal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Here's my parental understanding of what is going on...

Rich Lewis was running the SoccerPlus Stars. All of us agree that that Lewis is an absolute disaster of a coach (he SHOULD NOT be coaching young kids), and SoccerPlus (and us parents) wanted him out after this season. So Lewis did what other unscrupulous people have done (last year it was John Salvatore with Soccer Extreme and Western United) and decided to attempt to steal the players and create a new CFC branch (sort of CFC Alliance of evil). (Lewis started recruiting people to leave SoccerPlus during the season while he was getting paid by SoccerPlus.)

The Stars U11 (arguably the best group of U11s in CT) will continue to be a SoccerPlus team, and we’ll eventually feed into the SoccerPlus ECNL teams at U13 or U14.
Actually, I don't think Western United would have ever worked. why would kids from the Western United area of operation want to drive up to soccer+ for practice at such a young age. Soccer+ is the one who actually stole some U13 players by telling them they could start on the U14 ECNL team. So a few parents/kids got seduced into playing on a team that I believe lost 14 out of 16 games in ECNL play. But guess what, "they got to play up".


Was Rich successful in stealing U11 players? If "all" of you agree he is horrible and "all" the parents wanted him out, it will be interesting to see how many are at the try out and how many end up on the Alliance roster. I gues we will find out this weekend.

I don't have a horse in this race, so I consider myself Switzerland on this issue, but I find it interesting that nobody likes the guy and everyone wanted him gone and know they are upset he is with CFC. If my company didn't want me, I would probably look at similiar jobs at other companies. If I had good employees and needed to fill jobs in my new role, I would probably look at talent from my old place of employment. Guess that is ok in everything except soccer. Personally, I don't find it as bad as you are making it out to be
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-13-2012
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Swiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Actually, I don't think Western United would have ever worked. why would kids from the Western United area of operation want to drive up to soccer+ for practice at such a young age. Soccer+ is the one who actually stole some U13 players by telling them they could start on the U14 ECNL team. So a few parents/kids got seduced into playing on a team that I believe lost 14 out of 16 games in ECNL play. But guess what, "they got to play up".


Was Rich successful in stealing U11 players? If "all" of you agree he is horrible and "all" the parents wanted him out, it will be interesting to see how many are at the try out and how many end up on the Alliance roster. I gues we will find out this weekend.

I don't have a horse in this race, so I consider myself Switzerland on this issue, but I find it interesting that nobody likes the guy and everyone wanted him gone and know they are upset he is with CFC. If my company didn't want me, I would probably look at similiar jobs at other companies. If I had good employees and needed to fill jobs in my new role, I would probably look at talent from my old place of employment. Guess that is ok in everything except soccer. Personally, I don't find it as bad as you are making it out to be
Recruiting players to another club, in season? While getting paid? That's not bad enough for you?! You really are Switzerland - circa 1940.

I'm just a little suspicious of the narrative. A good team that was winning. A coach everyone hates. Who thinks he'd do better recruiting the families (who hate him) to another club. Something's not quite right...

SP has had enough lame "strategic partnerships" to make me question whether anyone is driving the bus over there. Desperate organizations do desperate things - like hire scumbag coaches just because they can bring in a few warm (paying) bodies. SP is plutonium - Western United got too close and immediately blew up. Would love to hear if anyone else has a description of whats going down with the SP Stars.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-13-2012
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

The sole fact that this guy S. Lewis will be the owner/director/coach of CFC franchise is a complete embarrassment for SC & all of CFC Nation. Does SC complete background checks on his coaches? (not the CJSA one) All you have to do is talk to this guy for 5 min and you know something is not right. How could you want this guy associated with your brand? I understand he has 1 good team but how does that justify you allowing him to expand your organization? Seems like if you have a decent team and have access to a field you can have your own CFC branch too!

Anyone who has ever dealt with this guy knows something is seriously wrong with him. I have seen him verbally abuse an opposing female manager, as well as, text on his cell phone for an entire game giving no instruction to his players whatsoever. To end the season on a high note this past weekend he benched girls on his U11 S+ for most of the game. The reason he benched them? They were not signed up for CFC tryouts. As our team got dominated by the opposing team he sat with his legs crossed sipping coffee, played with his daughter and texted on his phone.

This guy knows as much as my left nut about soccer and hopefully no one will show up at his tryouts. I know we won't be attending!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-13-2012
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Swiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Recruiting players to another club, in season? While getting paid? That's not bad enough for you?! You really are Switzerland - circa 1940.

I'm just a little suspicious of the narrative. A good team that was winning. A coach everyone hates. Who thinks he'd do better recruiting the families (who hate him) to another club. Something's not quite right...

SP has had enough lame "strategic partnerships" to make me question whether anyone is driving the bus over there. Desperate organizations do desperate things - like hire scumbag coaches just because they can bring in a few warm (paying) bodies. SP is plutonium - Western United got too close and immediately blew up. Would love to hear if anyone else has a description of whats going down with the SP Stars.
I hear you, but I am really Swiss in this one.
For one, Soccer+ letting him continue to coach if he is actively recruiting for another club makes them look desperate for his services and makes them look dysfunctional. If everyone knew it, how could TD not know it? He should have removed him immediatley, even if it meanthe still had to pay him to avoid a wrongfull termination lawsuit.

I will hold off judgement until I see how many families follow him. If the good majority do, then I would say the rant about him is questionable unless all the famlies are just flat out blind to his antics.

Hopefully SC does some due diligence. The Soccer Extreme coaches and John Salvatore seem to be good additions to CFC. I haven't seen any rants about their coaching from U11-U13 teams that they brought over to CFC. The results on the field at U12 and U13 (both state cup finalists) seem to imply that either the best Western kids stayed with the coaches and went to CFC or they have done a hell of a job coaching the worst girls and the new girls that they picked up at their first try out or a bit of both. Not sure I would draw a parallel to that situation. Again, perhaps I am wrong on that one, but haven't seen smoke let alone fire on that one.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-13-2012
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The Stars U11 (arguably the best group of U11s in CT) will continue to be a SoccerPlus team, and we’ll eventually feed into the SoccerPlus ECNL teams at U13 or U14.
side question.... How did S+ land a competitive youth team? S+ has been getting crushed with the exception of the older team that started in the FSA arena so where did they pull in some youth talent? Did they develop a new strategy or location to feed in young players? Apparently they werent coached into the skills. Or, is this a one off where 5 youth players in a neighborhood got good playing with one of the dads in the culdesac.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CFC Alliance? Unregistered Connecticut 4 08-30-2012 04:43 PM
Timbers Alliance Unregistered Oregon 8 05-22-2012 08:54 AM
Alliance Unregistered Michigan 18 02-22-2011 12:18 AM
Alliance FC what gives? Michigan 13 04-10-2009 07:26 PM
AC Alliance Not So Clasico California 4 03-29-2007 04:02 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:45 PM.

Hosted by Beachcomber.net. Premium Services without the premium price

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.