Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    OP here...I'm actually originally from the Netherlands not from America...
    Do you coach? How many coaches out there are left footed and try to help the left foot dominated play to their strength?

Comment

Do you coach? How many coaches out there are left footed and try to help the left foot dominated play to their strength?
      lol not the op but I had to laugh. I'm a rightie but have one all-leftie kid and another who writes and does some sports rightie (basketall and soccer) and some leftie (baseball, tennis and golf). I'm quite a good golfer but I can't teach them squat. When 90% of the population is one thing it's harder to teach the remaining 10%.

Comment

lol not the op but I had to laugh. I'm a rightie but have one all-leftie kid and another who writes and does some sports rightie (basketall and soccer) and some leftie (baseball, tennis and golf). I'm quite a good golfer but I can't teach them squat. When 90% of the population is one thing it's harder to teach the remaining 10%.
        Aren't soccer players supposed to use both feet?

Comment

Correct not many coaches are left foot leaving there parents to change coach of they played face it you have to do something if there is no coach able to relate !

Would you only go to a coach that was left dominated foot if you are a right footed player and never use a right footed coach ever please you have to!

Comment

90% of population is right handed. Our daughter is right handed but left footed. She is able to play the left wing and cross on the left side better because of being left footed. She can use both feet equally but has a much better shot on her left foot. College coaches have noticed her, possibly because it is something not as common in soccer and they see potential to develop her for their program.
            I would disagree- any player that is getting looks for college can use each foot equally??? Or even plays for a decent, competitive team?? It's a must, just like great first touch

Comment

I would disagree- any player that is getting looks for college can use each foot equally??? Or even plays for a decent, competitive team?? It's a must, just like great first touch
              This isn't just about dribbling or touches. Players will have a dominant side/preference. Whichever side it is it becomes their preferred side. They may have a bit more strength on one side or are more accurate (could relate to the visual/brain development piece) so that is more likely to be their go-to side for shots on goal, crosses, long passes to another teammate. They can work on the non dominant side all they want but there will always be a gut instinct to chose one over the other

Comment

This isn't just about dribbling or touches. Players will have a dominant side/preference. Whichever side it is it becomes their preferred side. They may have a bit more strength on one side or are more accurate (could relate to the visual/brain development piece) so that is more likely to be their go-to side for shots on goal, crosses, long passes to another teammate. They can work on the non dominant side all they want but there will always be a gut instinct to chose one over the other
                I tend to agree. But players can be taught to use both sides of their body more at younger ages. Many people who are left handed end up being right handed writers because they were taught to be. When you watch the pros it looks very clinical, like the basics were drilled in. The passing and receiving with either foot are second nature.

Comment

I tend to agree. But players can be taught to use both sides of their body more at younger ages. Many people who are left handed end up being right handed writers because they were taught to be. When you watch the pros it looks very clinical, like the basics were drilled in. The passing and receiving with either foot are second nature.
                  OP here - that would require, you know, coaches who know how to teach it. I think we can both agree development at the younger ages is sorely lacking here, and not just left vs right but all areas.

Comment

If your left footed and your as good as the right footer your getting the job !

Comment

This is just plain stupid no one is equal with both feet unless they are mediocre with each. Even Messi is far more dominant with the left, you can't let him get the ball on his left foot near the goal or he will kill you.

Comment

The fact is do you use the left side of ones brain or favor the right side of your brain ?

Comment

The fact is do you use the left side of ones brain or favor the right side of your brain ?
                          Those rare and creative left footers are in high demand on the outside wing!

Comment

They can feel like outsiders when the coaches run more right sided drills or they are evaluated on their rightness.

Comment

After reading all these posts - here is my experience...My son is a natural left footer but a right hander. He plays left defender or center defender. Yes, I believe there is a analytical difference for lefties and righties. We watch him on the filed and sometimes it is odd. He seems to study the ball, the field and the players prior to receiving the ball. Once he has it, it's like he does some mathematical equation in milliseconds as to where he should send it. He wanted to do some private training with a friend years ago. He did twice a week with this particular trainer. The trainer was not at all happy that he was solely left footed. Turned out to be a right footed 8 week training session. (The trainer was both left and right) My kid came home after 3 weeks hating the sessions. He felt stupid and literally handicapped. He kept on... 8 weeks later, the world was right again. That was when he was 11. He is now 15. He can train fine with his team because he was taught both feet. He can play right and left but will always, always, always use the left first unless it calls only for a right. He also says he has to think harder about using the right...it is not natural. I also agree that teaching the kids while they are young to use both feet is ideal. They are sponges then. I will also say in our experience, yes, natural left footed defenders are somewhat rare and in some cases, in demand. This post is to simply let others know of my experience with a natural left footed kid.

Comment

After reading all these posts - here is my experience...My son is a natural left footer but a right hander. He plays left defender or center defender. Yes, I believe there is a analytical difference for lefties and righties. We watch him on the filed and sometimes it is odd. He seems to study the ball, the field and the players prior to receiving the ball. Once he has it, it's like he does some mathematical equation in milliseconds as to where he should send it. He wanted to do some private training with a friend years ago. He did twice a week with this particular trainer. The trainer was not at all happy that he was solely left footed. Turned out to be a right footed 8 week training session. (The trainer was both left and right) My kid came home after 3 weeks hating the sessions. He felt stupid and literally handicapped. He kept on... 8 weeks later, the world was right again. That was when he was 11. He is now 15. He can train fine with his team because he was taught both feet. He can play right and left but will always, always, always use the left first unless it calls only for a right. He also says he has to think harder about using the right...it is not natural. I also agree that teaching the kids while they are young to use both feet is ideal. They are sponges then. I will also say in our experience, yes, natural left footed defenders are somewhat rare and in some cases, in demand. This post is to simply let others know of my experience with a natural left footed kid.
                                Thanks for sharing. It's good he doesn't have two left feet!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X