Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is your player and team developing?

We always wonder how can we tell if s team and if the player are actually developing...saw this video in the Massachusetts thread and thought it would spark some good discussion here.

Here is a link to the article...

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/the91...h-development/

This video is a brilliant example of the language we use playing an undeniable role in how we develop players. What is “development?” Is it a catchall phrase simply kept in the hamper for players improving? Or can we narrow the scope, define it further and make the idea weaponized? Can we actually use it to mean something tangible? Can it be in some part what we see in the first part of the video instead of what we see in the second?

It’s a discussion worth having. What I do know is that possession soccer (as you see in the first half of the video) is not easy. It requires a unique blend of discipline and liquidity, which can be difficult to coax out of a 12-year-old. But I think the effort is worth the cost. By watching the differences in the two games, the developmentally-minded brain has an easy choice to make. You’ll always take the careful buildup over the carefree buildup when the former is an option (which is almost always, contrary to some arguments). The question then becomes, if it’s the obvious method going forward, why are some coaches so wholeheartedly rejecting the path?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    We always wonder how can we tell if s team and if the player are actually developing...saw this video in the Massachusetts thread and thought it would spark some good discussion here.

Here is a link to the article...

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/the91...h-development/
    Yeah, its nice. But did you notice the size of the field? The space provides time to think and play possession soccer. It is much harder to do this is a small space. Show me a team doing this on a small field under heavy pressure and that would be more impressive.

Comment

Yeah, its nice. But did you notice the size of the field? The space provides time to think and play possession soccer. It is much harder to do this is a small space. Show me a team doing this on a small field under heavy pressure and that would be more impressive.
      You are nit-picking for the sake of nit-picking. Yes the space is large. But its the same size as the field in the second video; which is the point.
      Also, they were on a standard-size field, playing 11 v 11. Standard soccer if you ask me. And the players in the first video probably WERE trained on a smaller field in tight space, playing small-sided possession style games. The second team (video) probably does a lot of "speed" drills, and "pass-n-shoot" drills.

So the point of the article/video remains: one team was able to possess the ball and work as a team (patiently) up the field. While the second team couldn't put two passes together on the same sized pitch.

Comment

You are nit-picking for the sake of nit-picking. Yes the space is large. But its the same size as the field in the second video; which is the point.
        Also, they were on a standard-size field, playing 11 v 11. Standard soccer if you ask me. And the players in the first video probably WERE trained on a smaller field in tight space, playing small-sided possession style games. The second team (video) probably does a lot of "speed" drills, and "pass-n-shoot" drills.

So the point of the article/video remains: one team was able to possess the ball and work as a team (patiently) up the field. While the second team couldn't put two passes together on the same sized pitch.
        This is an old video, the second video shown rec teams (with more than likely a daddy coach.)
        The first video shows two travel teams.

Comment

This is the point the video is trying to make...

The idea is that (again we will mention "The beautiful game") is so show actual control and tempo over the game. There was no doubt who controlled the game. It does involve a lot of coaching and development and getting kids to break habits of constantly pushing the ball down the field. Too many team are afraid to play on their side of the field with the ball and do everything they can to push it up pass mid field.

Comment

This is an old video, the second video shown rec teams (with more than likely a daddy coach.)
            The first video shows two travel teams.
            Well, to be honest, we have seen may team play like they do in the second half, and not just rec but in tournaments. To be honest, it does win some games again mediocre opponents. I think the question remains though, why isn't every team being taught how to posses the ball. Why is there this fear of playing out the back?

Comment

I get it and I am not against the principle of possession soccer. But when you have to win the ball against a talented defense, shield it, make a move to control it or use first touch to get to space, and then after all that you still have the game intelligence to make a smart pass, that is MUCH harder than standing around without pressure and playing possession soccer. It is not nit picking to say that what would really be impressive would be the same result under very hard defending pressure. I don't disagree that the kids in the video make smart choices and play the ball well. I am saying that many kids can do this under light pressure. It is the team that does it under hard pressure from a top team that is truly doing something special.

Comment

I get it and I am not against the principle of possession soccer. But when you have to win the ball against a talented defense, shield it, make a move to control it or use first touch to get to space, and then after all that you still have the game intelligence to make a smart pass, that is MUCH harder than standing around without pressure and playing possession soccer. It is not nit picking to say that what would really be impressive would be the same result under very hard defending pressure. I don't disagree that the kids in the video make smart choices and play the ball well. I am saying that many kids can do this under light pressure. It is the team that does it under hard pressure from a top team that is truly doing something special.
                I agree, you only look as good as the team you play. A team who puts lots of pressure on you , can make your possession not look very pretty. I have the opposite opinion in believing most clubs and coaches are teaching Possession play. The more skilled the players are with technical skills, first touch they can play a prettier possession game. Building a whole team of possesses working together takes time. It's not always fair to say a coach or team plays kickball style when sometimes that's all a team can do to stay in the game because they are not as skilled as the other team. You have to get the ball to keep the possession, and one team often does it better than the other.

Comment

I agree, you only look as good as the team you play. A team who puts lots of pressure on you , can make your possession not look very pretty. I have the opposite opinion in believing most clubs and coaches are teaching Possession play. The more skilled the players are with technical skills, first touch they can play a prettier possession game. Building a whole team of possesses working together takes time. It's not always fair to say a coach or team plays kickball style when sometimes that's all a team can do to stay in the game because they are not as skilled as the other team. You have to get the ball to keep the possession, and one team often does it better than the other.
                  I think most teams should have 2 or 3 players technical enough and talented enough to handle midfield duties. If this is the case, the challenge for the coach is to make the kids play through midfield instead of bypassing by kickball. And the midfielder needs to show and be active with his teammates. The problem I see is that kids are not trained to "use" the midfield until they reach 11v11 and by then they develop lots of bad habits. Coaches need to be forceful in stressing the importance of playing through the midfield. Most defenders bypass midfield and go long. This creates a "kickball" effect over time. In this type of team, you are completely eliminating your most technical players. This seems foolish but it is exactly the pattern that most coaches fall into. Even though they preach possession until they have no breath left, they do not sit the kids that play long or take multiple touches and unless kids lose playing time they do not get the message. Kids respond to lost playing time. They tune out "play simple," "touch" and all the other things a coach says, IF NOT backed by a benching.

Comment

I think most teams should have 2 or 3 players technical enough and talented enough to handle midfield duties. If this is the case, the challenge for the coach is to make the kids play through midfield instead of bypassing by kickball. And the midfielder needs to show and be active with his teammates. The problem I see is that kids are not trained to "use" the midfield until they reach 11v11 and by then they develop lots of bad habits. Coaches need to be forceful in stressing the importance of playing through the midfield. Most defenders bypass midfield and go long. This creates a "kickball" effect over time. In this type of team, you are completely eliminating your most technical players. This seems foolish but it is exactly the pattern that most coaches fall into. Even though they preach possession until they have no breath left, they do not sit the kids that play long or take multiple touches and unless kids lose playing time they do not get the message. Kids respond to lost playing time. They tune out "play simple," "touch" and all the other things a coach says, IF NOT backed by a benching.
                    Connecting with the midfielders , playing through the middle, switching attack are important to sustained possession.

Comment

yes, getting more elite by the day.

Comment

I This seems foolish but it is exactly the pattern that most coaches fall into. Even though they preach possession until they have no breath left, they do not sit the kids that play long or take multiple touches and unless kids lose playing time they do not get the message. Kids respond to lost playing time. They tune out "play simple," "touch" and all the other things a coach says, IF NOT backed by a benching.
                        This is so true. And so painful to see. Even worse is when that same coach cheers the player
                        who kept the ball way too long until they lose it. Drives me crazy.

Comment

Connecting with the midfielders , playing through the middle, switching attack are important to sustained possession.
                          Oh my God, thank you.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X