Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Yeah, males vs females. Typical male boy all over the place playing from 2-12 years old throwing and catching anything in site while a typical girl is playing with dolls .... sorry to be so 1950s but I would bet on average boys are typically playing sports games as little kids and few girls are. One of your ARTICLES (not publications) suggests this:

"However, the origins of the differences in spatial skills between boys and girls are unclear. “They could be related to the way they are reared, caused by biological factors or both,” Levine said. Boys tend to play in a way that encourages spatial-skill development. They play with blocks and build models, for example. But researchers do not know if they develop spatial skills through these influences, or if their brains have evolved to process spatial information differently, perhaps in a way related to the division of labor between men and women in hunter/gatherer societies." TRANSLATION: We have no empirical evidence and we are totally guessing ... this is what we do in the fields of psychology, sociology and the newly popular neuroscience fields.

Got anything with actual test results and sample sizes greater than hypothetical guesses made up by "researchers"? Nature vs nurture, and in this case, I am guessing mostly nature and environmental factors not gender differences.
    Did you read any of the studies posted????

Comment

I think a lot of kids in general are bad computing trajectories. I lose count of the number of kids that just stand where they are looking confidently airborne like the balls going to come down where they are and they miscalculate where they need to be by 10-15 feet.
      That certainly seems the case in the two pictures posted. Is someone going to tell me those young ladies were never instructed on how to head a ball properly? Of course they have been. It's an issue of them misjudging the trajectory.

And please don't tell me little boys are heading the ball at age 4 (see the study mentioned above) while little girls are home playing with their dollies. Brain structure is influenced by testosterone before birth and that is why there are gender differences. Women who are exposed to testosterone improve their spacial abilities.

BTW there some other interesting studies. From Live Science:

"Previous research has found that this "2D:4D" ratio — the ratio of the length of the second digit (the index finger) to that of the fourth digit (the ring finger) — reveals the amount of male hormones, mainly testosterone, a person is exposed to in the womb. The more testosterone, the longer the ring finger grows."

And....

https://www.artofmanliness.com/artic...o-masculinity/

What's the point? There appears a correlation between the length of a man's ring finger and athletic ability. Those with a longer ring finger tend to be better athletes. And since female fetus can also be exposed to testosterone, a correlation has been seen with spatial awareness in some studies and women with low (more masculine) 2D:4D ratios. Additionally gay women have relatively low (more masculine) 2D:4D ratios compared to straight women which could explain why there are so many gay women in women's professional sports.

Comment

Did you read any of the studies posted????
        Those were articles. I want to see scientific studies from reputable scientific journals. I want large sample sizes and control groups. Got any of those? Got anything from JAMA or NEJM on this? The closest thing you presented was an abstract by NIH which confirms my theory about sports play in boys vs girls at younger ages:
        "Consequently, testosterone exposure during critical periods of early development produces permanent behavioral changes. In humans, affected behaviors include childhood play behavior, sexual orientation, core gender identity and other characteristics that show sex differences (i.e. differ on average between males and females)."
        Even that abstract is very vague. Is testosterone directly linked to spatial awareness from that? Could be, but I still didn't see random sample sizes, control groups ...... it proves nothing as it is shoddy science from what you presented. It is anecdotal and still a weak argument for me. Sorry, many scientists come to poor conclusions or have shoddy work engineered to confirm their hypotheses. More scientific studies please.

Comment

Those were articles. I want to see scientific studies from reputable scientific journals. I want large sample sizes and control groups. Got any of those? Got anything from JAMA or NEJM on this? The closest thing you presented was an abstract by NIH which confirms my theory about sports play in boys vs girls at younger ages:
          "Consequently, testosterone exposure during critical periods of early development produces permanent behavioral changes. In humans, affected behaviors include childhood play behavior, sexual orientation, core gender identity and other characteristics that show sex differences (i.e. differ on average between males and females)."
          Even that abstract is very vague. Is testosterone directly linked to spatial awareness from that? Could be, but I still didn't see random sample sizes, control groups ...... it proves nothing as it is shoddy science from what you presented. It is anecdotal and still a weak argument for me. Sorry, many scientists come to poor conclusions or have shoddy work engineered to confirm their hypotheses. More scientific studies please.
          Go to the articles, doofus, and do your own research. It's all there for the asking.

Comment

Go to the articles, doofus, and do your own research. It's all there for the asking.
            I suggest you read them you think They say what you want them to but when you look a little deeper they seem to suggest that testosterone my simply lead to different activities at young ages and THOSE are the things that lead to better spatial awareness and the ability to more accurately predict the trajectory of a ball. Show me the SCIENTIFIC study that has two groups of rats in identical environments and one has testosterone and the other doesn't and then show me the results of the soccer heading drills for each group in a controlled test. The one scientific study that comes out and says more testosterone increases childrens ability to head a soccer ball. If that is true then boosting testosterone in girls (or female rats) should yield similar results and have been corroborated in additional studies. Yeah, thought so. Crickets.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            Working...
            X