X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    GDA is the Juliard of soccer.
    Juliard's acceptance rate is 6%. GDA is more like the UMASS Lowell of soccer.

Comment

Lol. Juliard has a spot with anyone with a check in hand?
      You've no frigging clue. Stop before you embarrass yourself further.

Comment

Lol. GDA has a spot with anyone with a check in hand?
        Better.

Comment

You've no frigging clue. Stop before you embarrass yourself further.
          Seen our neighbors to the north lately? They quite literally will put anyone willing to pay on a GDA team. And they re cheating to boot. Not saying all, or even most, operate that way. But some do.

Comment

Juliard's acceptance rate is 6%. GDA is more like the UMASS Lowell of soccer.
            And that still might be an insult to UMASS Lowell. Maybe more like Northern Essex CC?

Comment

Seen our neighbors to the north lately? They quite literally will put anyone willing to pay on a GDA team. And they re cheating to boot. Not saying all, or even most, operate that way. But some do.
              Common at many GDA clubs. Not all of course, and there are some top quality players on rosters. There just aren't enough of them at most clubs save the top maybe 3 clubs in the NE. So then clubs have to take whoever is willing to pay and give up HS.

Comment

Common at many GDA clubs. Not all of course, and there are some top quality players on rosters. There just aren't enough of them at most clubs save the top maybe 3 clubs in the NE. So then clubs have to take whoever is willing to pay and give up HS.
                Please remind us again of the end game??

Comment

If a person wants to be a musician, juliard is wonderful. Not such a happy place for a person wanting to pursue other interests that include sports. These kids are individuals and they will find their oath. Juliard would be amazing for some and misery for others.
                  hahahaha...don't worry about the 'misery for others'. Juliard won't be taking anything other than stars. Meanwhile, the college soccer programs will be happy to recruit 8-16 freshman and run with rosters of 25-30 players, of which about 18 will see the field each year, culminating in about 1/3 of those initially recruited staying with the program for four years. If you are a star then go to Juliard. If you are a star then go to Duke. If you are not a star then go to a school where you are going to play and be involved. If you are realistic and realize that you are attending a school to get a degree and a non sport job after 4-5 years then attend a program where you are going to play. It is a tough reality to go from being the star in high school or on your club team to being one of 25-30 other 'studs'.

Comment

Please remind us again of the end game??
                    What is your player's end game? Do they want to play in college? Realistically can they? If so, realistically what level? (this is where it helps to talk to people in the know with experience at the college level. Don't think you can accurately assess your own child's abilities unless you're a college coach yourself). How good a student are they and how committed are they to school? Are they generally a very hard worker or get by just because they're naturally skilled/smart? This will also impact what is a realistic goal. Kids that phone it in won't survive most college soccer programs

These are conversations to have in middle school because there is a need to plan ahead. It's ok if things change, and it often does. But if they have a realistic top level goal in mind you can't decide you want top D1 half way through HS. If you're not in a top league you should try to get into one. For anything outside of top D1 you have many more options in front of you in terms of leagues and clubs, and less time pressure. You also won't have the HS issue because doing DA isn't as much of a necessity. This will apply to the majority of TS posters. There's only a handful of truly top players in MA each year, but everyone thinks their kid is one.

Comment

What is your player's end game? Do they want to play in college? Realistically can they? If so, realistically what level? (this is where it helps to talk to people in the know with experience at the college level. Don't think you can accurately assess your own child's abilities unless you're a college coach yourself). How good a student are they and how committed are they to school? Are they generally a very hard worker or get by just because they're naturally skilled/smart? This will also impact what is a realistic goal. Kids that phone it in won't survive most college soccer programs

These are conversations to have in middle school because there is a need to plan ahead. It's ok if things change, and it often does. But if they have a realistic top level goal in mind you can't decide you want top D1 half way through HS. If you're not in a top league you should try to get into one. For anything outside of top D1 you have many more options in front of you in terms of leagues and clubs, and less time pressure. You also won't have the HS issue because doing DA isn't as much of a necessity. This will apply to the majority of TS posters. There's only a handful of truly top players in MA each year, but everyone thinks their kid is one.
                      My kid is one. She is a top player - just made varsity as a sophomore.
                      What club should she join to go D1?

Comment

HaHa. Exactly. I know this is meant as being a joke (I hope), but there is truth to this post in that many parents do actually believe this (ie "top" player made Varsity as a sophomore nonsense). Here's the thing, my youngest is U12 (I have 4 children). I've been through this whole college thing twice. Very often by the time you have a child or two (and their friends) go through the process, you start realizing that the D1 dream isn't really a "dream", but a nightmare. Sorry to say that to those who really strive for that situation.

D1 is grueling and more often than not, players from this area will not be the studs at a D1 program than they think they will be when they are naïve 14 year olds. Not only that, but your player should not just commit to a D1 for the soccer, but for the school first! So when the dream does crumble for them -- if it does -- they can fall back on the school and the education that particular school provides. Remember whether your child plays D1, D2 or D3 they will ALL only have four years of soccer left. Enjoy it.

Comment

In case you're not trolling: top players don't make varsity as sophomores. They make the team, start and play 90% of the minutes, earn all-conference, and dominate the games - as freshmen. By the time they're sophomores, they are MVP candidates in their conference, have started picking out colleges to play for, and have college programs making offers.

Comment

HaHa. Exactly. I know this is meant as being a joke (I hope), but there is truth to this post in that many parents do actually believe this (ie "top" player made Varsity as a sophomore nonsense). Here's the thing, my youngest is U12 (I have 4 children). I've been through this whole college thing twice. Very often by the time you have a child or two (and their friends) go through the process, you start realizing that the D1 dream isn't really a "dream", but a nightmare. Sorry to say that to those who really strive for that situation.

D1 is grueling and more often than not, players from this area will not be the studs at a D1 program than they think they will be when they are naïve 14 year olds. Not only that, but your player should not just commit to a D1 for the soccer, but for the school first! So when the dream does crumble for them -- if it does -- they can fall back on the school and the education that particular school provides. Remember whether your child plays D1, D2 or D3 they will ALL only have four years of soccer left. Enjoy it.
                            While there is truth in what you've posted, I've found that the joy or disappointment of college athletics is very dependent on the personality of the athlete. My younger kid has loved pretty much every minute of the "job" of being a D1 player. The structure, the built-in social dynamic, the hard work, the rewards of winning - all seem to work perfectly for her personality and how she approaches the world as a person (it helps that the team wins and that she's never been stuck on the bench).

One of my other kids is much less happy with college athletics, because she's experienced the ugliness of a crazy coach, some teammate drama, losing playing time, etc. She finds the work to be "work," as opposed to being "...a chance to be with her 25 teammates working toward a common goal." Know your kid and you'll be able to predict how she might view being a college athlete.

Comment

Hate to break it too you. If your kid is only making the varsity as a sophomore she isn't really at top level soccer prospect. The ones that are not only make the varsity as a freshman but actually start and then contend for post season honors. Based upon your description your kid is a low lelvel D1 bench warmer / D3 phenom.

Comment

Hate to break it too you. If your kid is only making the varsity as a sophomore she isn't really at top level soccer prospect. The ones that are not only make the varsity as a freshman but actually start and then contend for post season honors. Based upon your description your kid is a low lelvel D1 bench warmer / D3 phenom.
                                Thank you. Obviously, I still have a lot to learn. I should have been more clear, she didn't play soccer as a freshman, but she did play in BAYS prior to that and her team went to MTOC. I never wanted to commit to club soccer ($ and time), but her friends convinced her to come back and now that she is on Varsity - a top program - she is really liking it. She runs a 7.3 55M and frankly, I'm shocked at how slow most players are. She just torches them. HS coach is telling us she has "a D1 ceiling" - what does that mean? - but needs a good club to refine her skills. Is it really too late? I heard the new rules bought us some time. Advice appreciated

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X