What is the end goal?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The main thing i struggle with is that once you reach a certain level and things are no longer just for fun, the pressure on these kids can be pretty big and for many of the kids at top level clubs have really tied soccer in to their sense of identity. I worry that if the development track somehow slows, or my kid stays on the smaller side, what happens if they don't pan out? I guess that will just be another challenge to overcome but not one I am looking fwd to.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      The main thing i struggle with is that once you reach a certain level and things are no longer just for fun, the pressure on these kids can be pretty big and for many of the kids at top level clubs have really tied soccer in to their sense of identity. I worry that if the development track somehow slows, or my kid stays on the smaller side, what happens if they don't pan out? I guess that will just be another challenge to overcome but not one I am looking fwd to.
      It's a long, slow process to get to upper levels and kids should be prepared and want it if they are at that level. Also, it should always be fun ..... no matter what level. If it isn't fun, it just isnt worth doing (and maybe people should re-evaluate and consider a step backwards to make it fun again).

Comment

It's a long, slow process to get to upper levels and kids should be prepared and want it if they are at that level. Also, it should always be fun ..... no matter what level. If it isn't fun, it just isnt worth doing (and maybe people should re-evaluate and consider a step backwards to make it fun again).
        We got into an informal habit of re-evaluating each spring before tryouts. Was it still fun? did they want to stay with their current teams/clubs? If not, what might they want to do next? Things change for your kids, their teams can change. It's good to step back and ask a few questions now and then. You may not realize you've been stuck on a ferris wheel that doesn't stop.

Comment

I was very worried about this with my kids when they were younger. If they put too much emphasis on one activity and achieving a certain level of success, would they be crushed if they fell short of their goal, got cut from a top team, etc.? Looking back, I realize that we didn't know how resilient kids can be, and how most of them learn how to protect themselves from being emotionally destroyed by "failure." They move on faster than we do.

A kid who got all A's in math until 9th grade adjusts to the idea that there are better math students than him, and turns his passion toward science. The kid who was 6' tall in 7th grade with goals of playing in the NBA stops growing and gets into coaching. And the kid that was a stud on every top soccer team realizes that she is a contributor off the bench on a second level team at age 16 and embraces it.

I sense that the group that has the greatest difficulty in accepting changing reality is the parents; they somehow stay locked onto that memory of their kid dominating the field at u-little, and start looking for excuses, conspiracies or scapegoats when not-so-little Mia is coming off the bench in HS.

Comment

I was very worried about this with my kids when they were younger. If they put too much emphasis on one activity and achieving a certain level of success, would they be crushed if they fell short of their goal, got cut from a top team, etc.? Looking back, I realize that we didn't know how resilient kids can be, and how most of them learn how to protect themselves from being emotionally destroyed by "failure." They move on faster than we do.

A kid who got all A's in math until 9th grade adjusts to the idea that there are better math students than him, and turns his passion toward science. The kid who was 6' tall in 7th grade with goals of playing in the NBA stops growing and gets into coaching. And the kid that was a stud on every top soccer team realizes that she is a contributor off the bench on a second level team at age 16 and embraces it.

I sense that the group that has the greatest difficulty in accepting changing reality is the parents; they somehow stay locked onto that memory of their kid dominating the field at u-little, and start looking for excuses, conspiracies or scapegoats when not-so-little Mia is coming off the bench in HS.
            Yes, this. How many adults right now are doing something different than they imagined they'd be as kids. Somehow all those people were able to let go of their childhood dreams and find passions elsewhere, whether it be a completely different career choice, new hobby or sport, etc. I remember reading somewhere that many Olympic athletes don't even pick up their sport until college or later. The idea of putting time and effort into something to be the best you can be is a trait that everybody can use throughout their lives and easily transferred from one task to another.

Comment

You should have spent more time in school on reading comprehension.
              Did you miss the emoticons?
              But this is a sports forum, so the predominant theme to follow is one that emphasizes sports participation.
              In previous threads and posts, drama club is usually referred to in a derogatory term, used as a refuge for kids that can’t play soccer. Glad to hear it being recognized as an important part of overall development, leading to Supreme Court consideration. Also glad that you don’t have to be a soccer player in order to succeed in this world, although others on this site would beg to differ.

Comment

Did you miss the emoticons?
                But this is a sports forum, so the predominant theme to follow is one that emphasizes sports participation.
                In previous threads and posts, drama club is usually referred to in a derogatory term, used as a refuge for kids that can’t play soccer. Glad to hear it being recognized as an important part of overall development, leading to Supreme Court consideration. Also glad that you don’t have to be a soccer player in order to succeed in this world, although others on this site would beg to differ.
                So true. Just found out a girl I coached at Ulittle - who clearly just wasn't very interested in sports but gave it a go - will be attending Juliard. If being a musician is your goal it's pretty darn hard to beat that. Great kid too. Sports can teach all kinds of great lessons, but so can so many other activities and interests. Kids need to find their "thing" (or two). It doesn't have to be sports related. I do hope they do some physical activities for sheer enjoyment and life long mental and physical health. We have too many couch potatoes in the U.S.

Comment

good point there. I wonder how many soccer crazy parents who knew that girl as a u little would feel more success having their kids play soccer as a benchwarmer in a mid level D1 school vs having a musician that makes Juliard. Objectively speaking, Juliard is a much greater accomplishment.

Comment

good point there. I wonder how many soccer crazy parents who knew that girl as a u little would feel more success having their kids play soccer as a benchwarmer in a mid level D1 school vs having a musician that makes Juliard. Objectively speaking, Juliard is a much greater accomplishment.
                    If a person wants to be a musician, juliard is wonderful. Not such a happy place for a person wanting to pursue other interests that include sports. These kids are individuals and they will find their oath. Juliard would be amazing for some and misery for others.

Comment

If a person wants to be a musician, juliard is wonderful. Not such a happy place for a person wanting to pursue other interests that include sports. These kids are individuals and they will find their oath. Juliard would be amazing for some and misery for others.
                      But those who would find it misery would never apply, so what's your point there?

Kids have to find their own paths, passions, interests, hobbies. Former athlete parents can be the most aggressive at pushing their kids into sports. Plenty of parents find it difficult to accept that their little U10 superstar no longer wants to play when they're 15. But that happens with kids with all kinds or interests - sports, music, art, dance. Kids are resilient and can figure it out on their own when left to their own devices and some parental support. If everyone stayed the same life would be boring.

Comment

But those who would find it misery would never apply, so what's your point there?

Kids have to find their own paths, passions, interests, hobbies. Former athlete parents can be the most aggressive at pushing their kids into sports. Plenty of parents find it difficult to accept that their little U10 superstar no longer wants to play when they're 15. But that happens with kids with all kinds or interests - sports, music, art, dance. Kids are resilient and can figure it out on their own when left to their own devices and some parental support. If everyone stayed the same life would be boring.
                        These last few posts are thematically the same.
                        But earlier discussion revolved around the importance of sport (soccer) in life preparation.
                        That argument is somewhat true, but many other non-sport facets of life provide life-prep.
                        But trying to convince a sport oriented parent of that is like mixing oil and vinegar.

Comment

These last few posts are thematically the same.
                          But earlier discussion revolved around the importance of sport (soccer) in life preparation.
                          That argument is somewhat true, but many other non-sport facets of life provide life-prep.
                          But trying to convince a sport oriented parent of that is like mixing oil and vinegar.
                          You can take a band geek and do it that way if you want but doubt you'd be trolling this site if that was your kid's actual passion. Just sayin

Comment

GDA is the Juliard of soccer.

Comment

GDA is the Juliard of soccer.
                              Lol. Juliard has a spot with anyone with a check in hand?

Comment

Lol. Juliard has a spot with anyone with a check in hand?
                                Too funny ... that seems to your opinion of just about everything

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X