Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    As someone with a 2023 boy, why the difference in the timetables between boys and girls?
    Girls used to be even earlier, with studs accepting offers in 8th grade. Coaches would be competing for the studs which then pushed all the rest earlier and earlier. NCAA and coaches have pushed back so that girls line up closer to boys. Boys have fewer teams and fewer positions on those teams as international players take many spots. Coaches can wait. Plus boys physically mature later than girls.

Comment

As someone with a 2023 boy, why the difference in the timetables between boys and girls?
      Because most girls are done with puberty and most of their growth by 8th or 9th grade. Boys on the other hand often don't hit their adult height until much later. My D is 5'5" as a rising junior. She was 5'3" in 8th grade. My B is 5'4" as a rising frosh and will likely be 5'10" by Junior or Senior year.

Comment

Because most girls are done with puberty and most of their growth by 8th or 9th grade. Boys on the other hand often don't hit their adult height until much later. My D is 5'5" as a rising junior. She was 5'3" in 8th grade. My B is 5'4" as a rising frosh and will likely be 5'10" by Junior or Senior year.
        Sorry, reading comprehension fail on my part. Things pick up for boys as juniors. I think the earlier post stated he was done recruiting for 2021 girls in the winter of 2019 or their junior year, so most of the showcasing and work by players to be seen was as freshmen and sophomores. For boys, it's about a year later than girls...

Comment

Puberty is only part of it. It was also driven by competition for top players. Other sports see the same thing with female athletes. Parents were also part of the problem - they heard about kids committing early and pushed for their kids to commit also.
          In other words, Fear Of Missing Outfor coaches and families. Needless to say committing to a school as an 8th grader or even freshman is asinine, for both the student and program. Now the girls have been pushed into a more rational timeline, closer resembling boys and non athletes.

Comment

I would guess there's more pressure on coaches and families because there are so many more d1 programs for girls vs boys, plus there is more money.

Comment

I would guess there's more pressure on coaches and families because there are so many more d1 programs for girls vs boys, plus there is more money.
              There's 100 more women's programs than men's, and more scholarships per team (14 vs 9.9 for men). Coaches are the drivers, not the families. They can wait and be more selective. They also have loads of international talent they can pick up. For women there's plenty of players but not plenty of top talent. That's why top players signed early, even yes 8th grade, but the majority went freshman into sophomore year. Now it's more soph into jr year. Before the minute there was wind a younger playing committed at a club the entire team's ear's *****ed up. FOMO was and still is very real.

Comment

There's 100 more women's programs than men's, and more scholarships per team (14 vs 9.9 for men). Coaches are the drivers, not the families. They can wait and be more selective. They also have loads of international talent they can pick up. For women there's plenty of players but not plenty of top talent. That's why top players signed early, even yes 8th grade, but the majority went freshman into sophomore year. Now it's more soph into jr year. Before the minute there was wind a younger playing committed at a club the entire team's ear's *****ed up. FOMO was and still is very real.
                The last part about what drives early commits was/is real. There is status associated with who commits early, and more importantly an assumption of more money. It became a sprint fueled by FOMO on both sides. Parents became afraid the good offers would go away, and coaches saw other coaches trying to jump the line. It just kept getting earlier...

Comment

The last part about what drives early commits was/is real. There is status associated with who commits early, and more importantly an assumption of more money. It became a sprint fueled by FOMO on both sides. Parents became afraid the good offers would go away, and coaches saw other coaches trying to jump the line. It just kept getting earlier...
                  FOMO still happens but at least now there are rules in place to keep it down.

Comment

FOMO still happens but at least now there are rules in place to keep it down.
                    Exactly. The new rules were needed. Shame that this spring was first opportunity to see how they really worked. I know they went into effect last spring, but recruits were talking with coaches well before rules took effect on May 1

Comment

I am coming in late to this thread and only scanned all the posts. Are you a girls or boys coach? Sorry if I missed it.

Also...thank you for posting. My son is a 2021 and the spring club season and summer ID camps were going to be a huge part of his process. He spoke to a number of coaches, signed up for a bunch of ID camps, was coordinating coaches for tournaments and then everything started cancelling. Its been a nightmare.
                      Women's Coach so I should have clarified what I say specifically pertains to that....yes, the boys/men's side is ENTIRELY different. Much later timeline...much more crazy....and the recruiting is overall very different as well.

Comment

Agree with this 100%....we always talk about how much more crazy the girls side is than the boys. I was a soccer parent in addition to coach and saw first hand how much crazier everything is about the girls side. The new rules have absolutely had an impact on the commitment timeline for girls, but there are still a few committing in 8th grade because you are not considered a Prospective Student Athlete until high school. Also, there are plenty who were pressured into committing this month before they can even legally do a visit. That's absurd and the reason Women's Soccer has THE MOST players in the transfer portal---696 from last year alone! Yes, you read that right.

We see SO many mistakes from the very top programs too, wanting to lock players up early, and they make mistakes on players who are no where near their level by the time the finally show up to college years later. The portal is littered with dozens of those.

So, please take your time, and do your homework, and don't be pressured into committing early. It will GREATLY increase the likelihood your daughter doesn't end up in the portal 4 most into her college career.

Comment

Agree with this 100%....we always talk about how much more crazy the girls side is than the boys. I was a soccer parent in addition to coach and saw first hand how much crazier everything is about the girls side. The new rules have absolutely had an impact on the commitment timeline for girls, but there are still a few committing in 8th grade because you are not considered a Prospective Student Athlete until high school. Also, there are plenty who were pressured into committing this month before they can even legally do a visit. That's absurd and the reason Women's Soccer has THE MOST players in the transfer portal---696 from last year alone! Yes, you read that right.

We see SO many mistakes from the very top programs too, wanting to lock players up early, and they make mistakes on players who are no where near their level by the time the finally show up to college years later. The portal is littered with dozens of those.

So, please take your time, and do your homework, and don't be pressured into committing early. It will GREATLY increase the likelihood your daughter doesn't end up in the portal 4 most into her college career.
                          To be fair, I know at least 10 players who have transferred. 2 were those you described as starting at a program above their level, 4 transferred because they didn’t like the school and/or wanted a school that better fit their new academic interests or abilities and 4 transferred because they didn’t have a good relationship with their coach and/or felt like what they were told about the program when they committed was not reality even though they felt like they had done their homework.

Comment

Bunches from BC what gives?

Comment

To be fair, I know at least 10 players who have transferred. 2 were those you described as starting at a program above their level, 4 transferred because they didn’t like the school and/or wanted a school that better fit their new academic interests or abilities and 4 transferred because they didn’t have a good relationship with their coach and/or felt like what they were told about the program when they committed was not reality even though they felt like they had done their homework.
                              And with schools not open until Phase 4 (in some states anyway) coaches are not even in their office to receive emails or calls. Going to be long and frustrating.

Comment

And with schools not open until Phase 4 (in some states anyway) coaches are not even in their office to receive emails or calls. Going to be long and frustrating.
                                Think of the uncommitted 21s who can't do in person visits, official or unofficial. All the campuses are still shut down. Pick a school and program from a video and zoom call? No thanks.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X