Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    College scouts / coaches don't go scout HS games any more. Haven't for a long time--except for those very few private HS around the country that offer soccer scholarships, have their kids play together in the offseason on a club team, and travel around the country playing each other--the kind of schools you read about on Top Drawer.

The real question is, does it matter enough to anyone to have a HS season, so that if the season gets questionable again, there are strong advocates? Maybe it matters to kids who don't play club, but they don't have much of a voice. And it matters to coaches who make some money off it, especially those who are employed at their school districts in other jobs--like teaching phys ed. or social studies. They have a nice little deal because pay and benefits are nice in Jersey and they also get to coach--but how much influence do they have over decisions like this?

The real issue is if HS goes away this fall, does it just accelerate the trend toward HS soccer becoming irrelevant? Clubs take over, less hassle, fewer hoops to jump through, fewer bureaucrats to deal with (including school administrators) just to get a game in.

We're already practically there with the boys. Neighbors' kid opted out of his last two HS years when it became clear he was material for a college scholarship. Went full-time club. And for the even better boys--the ones with pro potential--it's not even an issue and hasn't been for some time.

HS more important for girls, for now, but will covid help bury it? The NJSIAA ought to be careful. It's not just soccer. Club taking over basketball and baseball too. Pretty soon HS be like rec leagues.
    I hate club soccer. I wish high school soccer was better. The clubs are such money making monsters. But my daughter is pretty good and wants to keep getting better. So we deal with aggressive parents and egotistical coaches.

Comment

I hate club soccer. I wish high school soccer was better. The clubs are such money making monsters. But my daughter is pretty good and wants to keep getting better. So we deal with aggressive parents and egotistical coaches.
      Obstacles to HS being better are enormous, which is why club has moved in.

*Severely restricted seasons.
      *Inability of coaches to make a living doing just it, leading to cadres of part-timers (the better ones coach club too--it's inescapable)
      *Separate Dept of Ed certification requirements to coach beyond coaching credentials
      *Limited budgets thanks to need for schools to offer many different sports

If you think pay-to-pay club is obnoxious, consider that school sports are supported by taxpayers, including those whose kids don't play sports, and those who don't have kids. In that respect HS sports are "free" for all kids.

Comment

So difficult dealing with these pompous club coaches who never held a real job.

*Inability of coaches to make a living doing just it, leading to cadres of part-timers (the better ones coach club too--it's inescapable)
        *Separate Dept of Ed certification requirements to coach beyond coaching credentials

If you think pay-to-pay club is obnoxious, consider that school sports are supported by taxpayers, including those whose kids don't play sports, and those who don't have kids. In that respect HS sports are "free" for all kids.

Comment

Wow- thank you for explaining taxes to me, all mighty soccer god. You really gave me something to think about. I guess I never realized all this wisdom would be provided on a soccer blog!!

Comment

Wow- thank you for explaining taxes to me, all mighty soccer god. You really gave me something to think about. I guess I never realized all this wisdom would be provided on a soccer blog!!
            Profound comment. Maybe you have something of substance to add to the HS topic, or are you just so drenched in social media that you think sarcasm is an actual contribution.

Comment

As a HS athlete myself once upon a time and a father of one now, I’ve found HS coaches can be petty, political (in the sense of local, town politics and favoritism), secure in their jobs even when they are not good at them. The difference is that in most cases if you wind up with a coach like that in your kid’s sport in your town you’re pretty much stuck with him unless you can afford a private school or you get up and move. In club, you get up and go somewhere else for a price, though the price is much less than a private school or changing towns.

Comment

Actually, as someone who has dealt with school budgets for years I'm well aware that one of the limitations for making HS soccer better is that it is paid for with the public purse and faces dozens of competing priorities. Any attempts to extend the season, hire better coaches, play on better fields will generate similar demands from other sports and complaints from other extracurricular activities. Unless you live in a town that has a particular passion for or history of success in soccer, it's difficult to make improvements (in our town it's the HS band that gets the resources!).

Club soccer may be (very) imperfect, but club sports in general have become so dominant in any number of sports because of the limitations of HS sports budgets and the realities of general funding.

Comment

Agree. Club soccer is the worst.

Actually, as someone who has dealt with school budgets for years I'm well aware that one of the limitations for making HS soccer better is that it is paid for with the public purse and faces dozens of competing priorities. Any attempts to extend the season, hire better coaches, play on better fields will generate similar demands from other sports and complaints from other extracurricular activities. Unless you live in a town that has a particular passion for or history of success in soccer, it's difficult to make improvements (in our town it's the HS band that gets the resources!).

Club soccer may be (very) imperfect, but club sports in general have become so dominant in any number of sports because of the limitations of HS sports budgets and the realities of general funding.

Comment

As a HS athlete myself once upon a time and a father of one now, I’ve found HS coaches can be petty, political (in the sense of local, town politics and favoritism), secure in their jobs even when they are not good at them. The difference is that in most cases if you wind up with a coach like that in your kid’s sport in your town you’re pretty much stuck with him unless you can afford a private school or you get up and move. In club, you get up and go somewhere else for a price, though the price is much less than a private school or changing towns.
                    Yeah this happens in our town. The coach for HS girls has to have four captains in order to balance the politics among parents. Quite crazy ...

Comment

Like any industry, the majority of the people in any profession are mediocre at best or worse. Soccer coaches aren't anything special.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      Working...
                      X