ECNL National Showcases for U18/19

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One general comment first, most that have gone through this don't realize their mistakes until after their kids get into college and they see how things play out at that level. It never ceases to amaze me how people who clearly have never gone through the process or are just starting it want to shout over people who have gone through it all and are reporting back their observations. Everyone is entitled to play the game the way they see it but some of you are foolish to just blindly accept what clubs feed you,

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Most parents (and their players) have no clue what they need to do on their end. They rely on their clubs to hand hold them through the process even when the club explicitly tell players to reach out to college coaches and to let them know how they can provide support. You would be surprised how many players and their parents believe they will be discovered at showcases. I've been through this process twice before with one soccer playing daughter and one baseball player. We are currently going through this with our 2022 daughter. The only difference for us this time around are the new recruiting rules regarding contact. If parents want to help their players get recruited then they need to stop with the wishful thinking and seriously look into programs that are targeted correctly. If you target correctly, you have a really good chance of being recruited into a program that is a good fit. One caveat I'll mention is that with D1 baseball, academic fit isn't as much as a consideration since most players hope to be drafted.

And for the players that do get recruited out of a showcase or ID event, it comes down to being in the right place at the right time in front of the right person. If a school like Wake Forest recruited you out of a showcase, chances are programs like Wake Forest were your target to begin with.
    1. This is pretty spot on accept for the part about baseball and not needing academic fit. Its no different in any sport, low level D1 prospects are not going to turn pro. The scholarship is merely a way to pay the tuition bill, so education should be given some weight. It's how you are getting paid. Get a million dollar education.

2. The part about most families not having a clue and doing what the club tells them is right on the money. Before the ECNL came along most teams in this state didn't even get accepted into the big showcases and it was generally only the top 1-2 teams that travelled out of state, yet other kids still found their way onto college D1 rosters. The whole "one stop shopping for college coaches" ECNL pitch was all about capturing a market segment not about helping families get their kid recruited. Showcase tournaments are big business. That is where the big money is in club sports. No one ever bothered to ask those ECNL folks about them getting appearance fees for sending all their teams to a specific tournament or whether they were getting a share of the millions of dollars in revenue the host clubs typically generated during one. Some of you need to realize that the big club owners are all business men. A true businessman would never give a competitor an exclusive to right to earn something from their club without getting something monetary in return. That's just human nature. Now think about why it seems only certain clubs push the need to attend showcases.

No on the last sentence. But, I would say schools "similar". Also as mentioned when I first provided that example, it's rare to my knowledge.

Now, my daughter has got interest from schools she had no contact with previously. NOT at the ACC level mind you.
    3. It's all relative to the specific talent band (ie the top P5 or bottom D1 programs) not the specific schools. Whether you target and reach out to the school or not, the coaches in a specific talent band are all going to have the same general (level specific) group of players on their radar. That is why targeting is so important. If you get it right you pretty much know who is going to be interested in your kid. That's your shopping list.

If no one is there to watch your kid then he/she didn't do a good job targeting the right programs or contacting them (or maybe they're just aren't that god at all). Coaches will come watch players they are interested in; they shop events with a list of players that have reached out to them and seem to be a possible fit either based on video, resume (soccer and academic) or conversations with club coaches. Thing is, doing events is part of the deal. It's what you sign up for. Your club fees are the same whether you go or not, so the incremental cost is travel. If 6-8 coaches from good fit programs come and watch your player and express interest after then that's money well spent. If no one shows, it's also a valuable learning tool - you need to adjust your expectations.
    4. I have a top level kid playing in the ACC and will tell you that we went to roughly 2-3 showcases before they committed. I can honestly tell you that we never got more than 1, maybe 2 contacts from college coaches at any single event so the idea that the average kid is getting contact from 5-6 coaches after every single event is simply not real and your calculations are a complete fantasy. They don't generate anywhere near the amount of interest you are alleging. I suspect you just don't know that yet.

5. I have had two kids play D1 soccer. Both of their deals were a direct result of summer id camps. With the first one, I didn't figure the game out until after we had spent a small fortune going to showcases. The second one we just went right to the schools that were in her talent band and sent her to one their id camps in the 8th grade. Though she didn't commit for another 2 years that's all it took. The rest of the time was just the courting dance.

Comment

Everyone is an f’in expert!

Comment

Everyone is an f’in expert!
        No, just some have been it before and others drinking their clubs Koolaide.

Comment

One general comment first, most that have gone through this don't realize their mistakes until after their kids get into college and they see how things play out at that level. It never ceases to amaze me how people who clearly have never gone through the process or are just starting it want to shout over people who have gone through it all and are reporting back their observations. Everyone is entitled to play the game the way they see it but some of you are foolish to just blindly accept what clubs feed you,

1. This is pretty spot on accept for the part about baseball and not needing academic fit. Its no different in any sport, low level D1 prospects are not going to turn pro. The scholarship is merely a way to pay the tuition bill, so education should be given some weight. It's how you are getting paid. Get a million dollar education.

2. The part about most families not having a clue and doing what the club tells them is right on the money. Before the ECNL came along most teams in this state didn't even get accepted into the big showcases and it was generally only the top 1-2 teams that travelled out of state, yet other kids still found their way onto college D1 rosters. The whole "one stop shopping for college coaches" ECNL pitch was all about capturing a market segment not about helping families get their kid recruited. Showcase tournaments are big business. That is where the big money is in club sports. No one ever bothered to ask those ECNL folks about them getting appearance fees for sending all their teams to a specific tournament or whether they were getting a share of the millions of dollars in revenue the host clubs typically generated during one. Some of you need to realize that the big club owners are all business men. A true businessman would never give a competitor an exclusive to right to earn something from their club without getting something monetary in return. That's just human nature. Now think about why it seems only certain clubs push the need to attend showcases.

3. It's all relative to the specific talent band (ie the top P5 or bottom D1 programs) not the specific schools. Whether you target and reach out to the school or not, the coaches in a specific talent band are all going to have the same general (level specific) group of players on their radar. That is why targeting is so important. If you get it right you pretty much know who is going to be interested in your kid. That's your shopping list.

4. I have a top level kid playing in the ACC and will tell you that we went to roughly 2-3 showcases before they committed. I can honestly tell you that we never got more than 1, maybe 2 contacts from college coaches at any single event so the idea that the average kid is getting contact from 5-6 coaches after every single event is simply not real and your calculations are a complete fantasy. They don't generate anywhere near the amount of interest you are alleging. I suspect you just don't know that yet.

5. I have had two kids play D1 soccer. Both of their deals were a direct result of summer id camps. With the first one, I didn't figure the game out until after we had spent a small fortune going to showcases. The second one we just went right to the schools that were in her talent band and sent her to one their id camps in the 8th grade. Though she didn't commit for another 2 years that's all it took. The rest of the time was just the courting dance.
          Where are the footnotes on this one, BTNT, lol??

You truly are full of yourself. What would everyone do without you?

Comment

Somebody seems a little upset that they have nothing to offer.

Comment

Somebody seems a little upset that they have nothing to offer.
              Or maybe the poster is just a little full of himself. He acts like the process is tougher than curing pancreatic cancer.

Comment

Or maybe the poster is just a little full of himself. He acts like the process is tougher than curing pancreatic cancer.
                think about the effort that took to write all that jibberish, copying quotes from various posts, etc.

My goodness...get a life. When one lays down at night and thinks about what they accomplished that day, is taking an hour to make an anonymous post on the internet concerning?

Comment

think about the effort that took to write all that jibberish, copying quotes from various posts, etc.

My goodness...get a life. When one lays down at night and thinks about what they accomplished that day, is taking an hour to make an anonymous post on the internet concerning?
                  Exactly....and then he has the gall to claim that he and others don't care a bit about D3 or D3 parents. Did we EVER ask him (or them) to care? Extreme narcissism causes psychological blindness. They don't come any more narcissistic than BTNT.

Comment

The name of the string is ECNL National Showcases for U18/19.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    x
                    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                    x
                    Working...
                    X