X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Da product

http://www.espn.com/soccer/united-st...gn-for-schalke

So Atlanta United is in their second year of having a boys DA program. How is it they are able to develop and send a player to Europe in such a short time. Yes I know they probably took this player from one of the top clubs in Atlanta, once they were awarded DA. The following DA's (IMG, Weston, Boca and CC) have been around for years correct? Have any of them sent a player go pro in Europe?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      So Atlanta United is in their second year of having a boys DA program. How is it they are able to develop and send a player to Europe in such a short time. Yes I know they probably took this player from one of the top clubs in Atlanta, once they were awarded DA. The following DA's (IMG, Weston, Boca and CC) have been around for years correct? Have any of them sent a player go pro in Europe?
      First of all, ATL didn't send the player to Europe. They didn't offer him a contract and Schalke did so he left. Coaching in ATL must have absolutely improved his game but this comes down to talent. Weston continues to send players abroad, one in Everton now but they end up coming back to College as they realize it is not as easy. There are only two American players who have been successful abroad after moving at a young age: Pulisic and Weston McKiney. Goes to show you how hard it is to make it yet you make it sound like it is an everyday thing.

Comment

First of all, ATL didn't send the player to Europe. They didn't offer him a contract and Schalke did so he left. Coaching in ATL must have absolutely improved his game but this comes down to talent. Weston continues to send players abroad, one in Everton now but they end up coming back to College as they realize it is not as easy. There are only two American players who have been successful abroad after moving at a young age: Pulisic and Weston McKiney. Goes to show you how hard it is to make it yet you make it sound like it is an everyday thing.
        What Weston player at Everton? Where GA go?

Comment

So your telling me an MLS team didn't offer him a contract but a Bundesliga team did. A team that plays at a much higher level, sees the potential and signs him. Now we know why soccer in the USA has issues. We will see in a few years how this pans out.

Comment

So your telling me an MLS team didn't offer him a contract but a Bundesliga team did. A team that plays at a much higher level, sees the potential and signs him. Now we know why soccer in the USA has issues. We will see in a few years how this pans out.
            i think if you read the Cameron piece about us soccer you will see that often times the issue is not talent. i would say 90% of parents with top kids do not understand how hard it is overseas. it is mental, not talent. no support system, alone in a ****ty hotel room, every day your butt kicked by your teammates. that's not for most kids and i dont think most parents that dream of europe understand what it takes to send a kid overseas with no support system in place. college soccer is the appropriate place for most DA players, but i think colleges need to partner with us soccer federation to help maintain the competitive viability of college soccer players.

Comment

What Weston player at Everton? Where GA go?
              Nicolas Defreitas-Hansen. http://westonfc.org/u-16-keeper-defr...signs-everton/

GA is in Argentina. European teams are willing to take higher risk with players as they have different venues for the players to develop. MLS is just starting the youth path. Once they start making money from selling players, they will start taking more risk.

Comment

Nicolas Defreitas-Hansen. http://westonfc.org/u-16-keeper-defr...signs-everton/

GA is in Argentina. European teams are willing to take higher risk with players as they have different venues for the players to develop. MLS is just starting the youth path. Once they start making money from selling players, they will start taking more risk.
                GA went to a couple clubs in Europe but didn’t work out. Kid from Atlanta could have signed with Atlanta but his agent pushed him to tryout in Europe instead first. Worked out.

Comment

i think if you read the Cameron piece about us soccer you will see that often times the issue is not talent. i would say 90% of parents with top kids do not understand how hard it is overseas. it is mental, not talent. no support system, alone in a ****ty hotel room, every day your butt kicked by your teammates. that's not for most kids and i dont think most parents that dream of europe understand what it takes to send a kid overseas with no support system in place. college soccer is the appropriate place for most DA players, but i think colleges need to partner with us soccer federation to help maintain the competitive viability of college soccer players.
                  Except the ncaa doesn’t care unless it’s neantherdals crushing themselves and making millions for the school

It’s going to take a generation , when most able kids won’t play football and transition into soccer

Comment

GA went to a couple clubs in Europe but didn’t work out. Kid from Atlanta could have signed with Atlanta but his agent pushed him to tryout in Europe instead first. Worked out.
                    GA didn't go to Europe. He is in Boca Juniors. Stop making things up.

Comment

Except the ncaa doesn’t care unless it’s neantherdals crushing themselves and making millions for the school

It’s going to take a generation , when most able kids won’t play football and transition into soccer
                      I think the us soccer federation could work on initiatives for top D1 schools to play each other in tournaments or leagues outside of the normal fall season. Or work to permit players some latitude to train with international clubs w/out violating ncaa rules. i was referring to steps like these. i know the $$ is in the neanderthals. ultimately, i think we sending some pretty good players the college soccer route. some of these kids are growing and developing still at 17 and 18, both as players and physically. if they dont get training that is appropriate, we are just losing too much quality.

Comment

GA didn't go to Europe. He is in Boca Juniors. Stop making things up.
                        2 clubs turned him down in Europe. Check your facts.

Comment

Not all have boys DA but to answer your point of question, yes. I can't recall the specific names but have had conversations where coaches have said so-and-so went overseas to play. That being said, not sure how it all worked out as one came back that I know of.

Comment

Euro players leave home at a very early age and get used to the dog eat dog grind. It would hard to find US parents willing to let adolescents leave the safety of home to go abroad for soccer and education.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                            Auto-Saved
                            x
                            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                            x
                            Working...
                            X