Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Girls playing with boys at older ages

Our team just played the Weston cup - I know it’s a rec tourney , so save it... our u15 boys team has 2 girls on the team. The girls are ok , technically can match a boy and for the last 2-3 years kind of kept up with the boys. Now the size and speed are so apparent it hurts the rest of the team.

My thought is when the kids are younger , probably u11 or younger, it’s not that big of a detriment to have girls playing on a boys team. But once the boys start growing and getting faster, having a girl on a boys team hurts the team. The girl will get better because no girls team plays quick fast and as technical as a boys team , but the boys team is playing with one less player.

Not hating , I have 3 girls , just don’t understand why some clubs allow this.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Our team just played the Weston cup - I know it’s a rec tourney , so save it... our u15 boys team has 2 girls on the team. The girls are ok , technically can match a boy and for the last 2-3 years kind of kept up with the boys. Now the size and speed are so apparent it hurts the rest of the team.

My thought is when the kids are younger , probably u11 or younger, it’s not that big of a detriment to have girls playing on a boys team. But once the boys start growing and getting faster, having a girl on a boys team hurts the team. The girl will get better because no girls team plays quick fast and as technical as a boys team , but the boys team is playing with one less player.

Go find some better players to replace them or be grateful for them.

Comment

I recall reading about a Virginia Tech player that played her club soccer on boy's teams. She was an all-ACC player and one of the better players that VT has had in recent years. She has also been in National Team pools.

Here is her bio from VT: http://www.hokiesports.com/wsoccer/p...er_ashley.html

An article on her from Collegiate Times: http://www.collegiatetimes.com/sport...7a43b2370.html

Here is a quote from the article:

Meier started her budding soccer career differently than most girls who end up playing upper-level soccer. She started playing on an all-boys recreational league, the Cleveland Whitecaps, at age 10 and continued to play until she was 18 years old.

“I played on a guys team growing up,” Meier said. “I played on the Whitecaps boys’ team since I was 10 years old so I had been playing with boys for 8 years until I came to college.”

If a girl/young woman is good enough to play, why not? Meier was probably one of the best players on her club team.

Comment

Yes it just helps the girl , having a girl on a boys team does nothing benificial for the other boys on the team. Not a fan

Comment

Yes it just helps the girl , having a girl on a boys team does nothing benificial for the other boys on the team. Not a fan
          If she is better then some of the boys, it is to their benefit to try to compete with her.

Comment

I recall reading about a Virginia Tech player that played her club soccer on boy's teams. She was an all-ACC player and one of the better players that VT has had in recent years. She has also been in National Team pools.

Here is her bio from VT: http://www.hokiesports.com/wsoccer/p...er_ashley.html

An article on her from Collegiate Times: http://www.collegiatetimes.com/sport...7a43b2370.html

Here is a quote from the article:

Meier started her budding soccer career differently than most girls who end up playing upper-level soccer. She started playing on an all-boys recreational league, the Cleveland Whitecaps, at age 10 and continued to play until she was 18 years old.

“I played on a guys team growing up,” Meier said. “I played on the Whitecaps boys’ team since I was 10 years old so I had been playing with boys for 8 years until I came to college.”

If a girl/young woman is good enough to play, why not? Meier was probably one of the best players on her club team.
            How slow and non technical (compared to other good boy soccer players) were these other boys?

Comment

My girls team (u15). Sometimes has to scrimmage the club's top U15 boys whom them beat by 5 goals every time which I find equally annoying.

Key is being at the right competitive level more then gender.

Comment

At the older ages it’s probably just a delusional coach or parent who won’t stop harassing the club to let his superstar play with the boys. I garantee you the other parents on the boys team are not happy.

Comment

At the older ages it’s probably just a delusional coach or parent who won’t stop harassing the club to let his superstar play with the boys. I garantee you the other parents on the boys team are not happy.
                  Good luck. I have complained about having to scrimmage the boys several times to no avail.

Comment

If a girl (or two) is as good as or better than the bottom 1/3 of the roster then I'm for it. If they are not as good or can't keep up then it isn't fair to the rest of the team. Mallory Pugh trained with boys teams at her CO club and an NT player at Penn did as well. It should be reserved only for the truly talented. A club shouldn't let politics stop them from letting a gifted player train with the boys but it better be readily apparent to all that she belongs there.

Comment

My girls team (u15). Sometimes has to scrimmage the club's top U15 boys whom them beat by 5 goals every time which I find equally annoying.

Key is being at the right competitive level more then gender.
                      Our club has boys and girls teams scrimmage sometimes, but it's always an older girls team vs a one year younger boys team. It's really done to change things up now and then, give everyone a different experience. No issue in such an instance

Comment

How slow and non technical (compared to other good boy soccer players) were these other boys?
                        I posted the article.

I really don't know because I am not that familiar with her. A top women's player from a P5 conference like the ACC is not going to be slow and non-technical though so why would you assume that the boys she played with were? The article that I posted didn't state it but I remember hearing that the team she played on was in a top regional league in the Midwest - akin to what the R3PL used to be. She also grew up in the Cleveland area. The top teams in Ohio are as good or better than the top teams in Florida.

Comment

My U14 daughter will be helping out a U14 boys team this season at the rec level because they are short on players and she'll likely be at least average in ability. It's good for her and it's good for them. No worries.

Comment

Our coach always makes the Mallory Pugh played with boys reference. Lol

Comment

Part of the 218-19 GDA presentation mentioned having girls play with boys. More players training with boys than playing in matches but match play too if warranted. Clearly, they think it’s hood for girls. Curious how boys DA feels about it.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X