Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    ECNL worked for 98% of current college & NT players.
    isn't GDA wrapping up its first year?

Comment

Listen people...

I personally love the gda model. Couldn't care less about HS soccer. Would prefer that all the top players were forced into one league and the best competition played against and with each other.

But, to think that gda is dominating IN FLORIDA is very niave. It's not.

USSF initial club selection left a little to be desired as far as picking all organized, Strong clubs that covered a wide raging geographic footprint making gda accessible to everyone in the state. I'm not going to name or call out specific clubs.

The HS push back was unfortunate and real.

Now, you have Pride leaving and returning to ECNL. You have the Atlanta teams fussing about coming down to play. There are real issues facing the league.

What is has going for it are several important factors...1)ties to YNTs and consistent scouting by USSF. This is important to elite players. However, if you continue to see 1 (or 2 max) players selected from the state to get called into YNT camps, I could see the elite girls losing interest quickly. 2) The college coaching turn out at the showcases was outstanding. The exposure was second to none.3) USSF has a lot of money and they want their way...ultimately I think this is why GDA will win out in the end. They can keep throwing money at the problems until ECNL cries uncle.

At this specific moment, however, I believe the leagues are probably closer in competitiveness and talent level that GDA wants to admit....at least in Florida.

Comment

Listen people...

I personally love the gda model. Couldn't care less about HS soccer. Would prefer that all the top players were forced into one league and the best competition played against and with each other.

But, to think that gda is dominating IN FLORIDA is very niave. It's not.

USSF initial club selection left a little to be desired as far as picking all organized, Strong clubs that covered a wide raging geographic footprint making gda accessible to everyone in the state. I'm not going to name or call out specific clubs.

The HS push back was unfortunate and real.

Now, you have Pride leaving and returning to ECNL. You have the Atlanta teams fussing about coming down to play. There are real issues facing the league.

What is has going for it are several important factors...1)ties to YNTs and consistent scouting by USSF. This is important to elite players. However, if you continue to see 1 (or 2 max) players selected from the state to get called into YNT camps, I could see the elite girls losing interest quickly. 2) The college coaching turn out at the showcases was outstanding. The exposure was second to none.3) USSF has a lot of money and they want their way...ultimately I think this is why GDA will win out in the end. They can keep throwing money at the problems until ECNL cries uncle.

At this specific moment, however, I believe the leagues are probably closer in competitiveness and talent level that GDA wants to admit....at least in Florida.
        Truth to this post. It's all based on what the player's desire is vs. the league (IMO). If you have a GDA-ability player who wants to play in college, but does not want the path of YNT or professional aspirations then ECNL is for that player. Many GDA-able girls (yes, even the game changers) want to stay ECNL because whether you like it or not, High School is important to girls. Boys can do without it, but for girls, it's a socially and culturally enjoyable thing.

Comment

Some top clubs already announced they are leaving GDA to return for ECNL; strong rumors others will follow. Is it about the money for those clubs? Partly I'm sure. But those clubs are reading their customers. Who cares if you're the "best" whatever? If not enough people want it you'll have no business. The clubs and their customers aren't fooled by USSF' aspiration NT sales pitch. They know 99% of players aren't in that category. Players just want to play in college, many would at least like the option to play in HS and not be told what is best for them.

GDA will survive this but it will have to be smaller. That will condense it down to the clubs and players that truly want it. USSF's mistake was creating a national model and thinking everyone would just leave ECNL for GDA. To reduce travel they had to allow in too many poor quality clubs, who then had to roster too many poor quality players because many (not all) top players stuck with ECNL. So smaller may work - although the travel will be a nightmare, which may then turn off even more players.

Comment

Truth to this post. It's all based on what the player's desire is vs. the league (IMO). If you have a GDA-ability player who wants to play in college, but does not want the path of YNT or professional aspirations then ECNL is for that player. Many GDA-able girls (yes, even the game changers) want to stay ECNL because whether you like it or not, High School is important to girls. Boys can do without it, but for girls, it's a socially and culturally enjoyable thing.
            Even many boys would like to play but the no HS rule came down so many years ago that it's just the way it is now. Boys also don't have a strong #2 league competing for their business. NPL kind of is a national league but not really, and boys ECNL is off to a painfully slow start. With the MLS club players really can't argue since they're playing for free. It's a lot harder to justify at the pay to play clubs, some of whom just aren't very good. That's where BDA is going to see more struggles soon. I think more boys are questioning the sanity of all it for the typical outcome. If you want top D1 you need BDA. But it you're shooting lower, then HS (if you want) + good competitive club + extra hustle and you can still play in college. If want a top FL soccer program, you need to be a top national recruit and we just don't produce many of those.

Comment

Bye bye Weston GDA

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              Working...
              X