Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Either you are lying or your daughter's GDA team has a tiny roster. My daughter has friends who play for Portland Thorns academy team. The 01/02 team has 25 players on the roster. They recently traveled to Northern Cal (plane ride and missed day of school). 10 players played the entire game both days. 4 players split time in the position that got subbed out. 4 players flew and missed school and didn't play at all. This has happened every weekend they have traveled. The bottom 1/3 of the team has either quit or is not planning to try out next year.

My daughter also has friends who play on both of the two Oregon ECNL teams. The girls who are "bottom" of those teams play in about 90% of the games. Sometimes very limited minutes, but they almost always get in for at least a bit.

The subbing rules are difficult with GDA because as another poster said, once you're subbed out you can't go back in. You also only get 3 subs a game so only 14 of your 18 dressed players will get to play. So the coaches are obviously playing not to lose and are afraid to sub out their star players. With ECNL it's open subbing and all 18 players can get in the game.

25 players is a large roster. 18 is ideal. Agree that the substitution rules have been difficult but your friends club seems to have an issue with managing their roster properly. No one should travel and not play. The club should have left them home and spared them the expense.

If they were not good enough to play after traveling then they should not have made the team since the drop off should not be that dramatic.

Comment

25 players is a large roster. 18 is ideal. Agree that the substitution rules have been difficult but your friends club seems to have an issue with managing their roster properly. No one should travel and not play. The club should have left them home and spared them the expense.

If they were not good enough to play after traveling then they should not have made the team since the drop off should not be that dramatic.
      Eighteen is insufficient at the HS ages because of injuries or occasional conflicts. Twenty is better. If everyone is healthy (almost never is the case) then 2 won't dress for a game. But many DA teams have 22 and even more. Those players are there to fill club coffers. With DA you really need to be a starter or consistent sub. If you are player #15 or lower then playing elsewhere may be a better bet.

Comment

Mass Tryouts are stupid. Players should sign up by season. GDA does not have this issue because they can recruit anyone except other GDA club players anytime they want, 24/7. There is no point in trying out for GDA. If your daughter is better than the current GDA squad they will give her a look and if they want her, add her to the roster. GDA Tryouts, really, this must be a joke.

Comment

I have a son who does BDA - what the poster describes happens quite often. Kids travel all over and never play, or maybe get in the last ten minutes once the coach knows the game is in the bag. It worked well for my son but it doesn't for everyone. The system tosses kids aside all the time. I gave my D the choice and she said no to GDA for many reasons. She has no regrets and is evaluating a few nice college offers as we speak. She's also my youngest and I'm glad she chose to stick with ECNL and high school. You can't get your high school years back. My son doesn't necessarily regret it but he really did miss it.

Comment

Either you are lying or your daughter's GDA team has a tiny roster. My daughter has friends who play for Portland Thorns academy team. The 01/02 team has 25 players on the roster. They recently traveled to Northern Cal (plane ride and missed day of school). 10 players played the entire game both days. 4 players split time in the position that got subbed out. 4 players flew and missed school and didn't play at all. This has happened every weekend they have traveled. The bottom 1/3 of the team has either quit or is not planning to try out next year.

My daughter also has friends who play on both of the two Oregon ECNL teams. The girls who are "bottom" of those teams play in about 90% of the games. Sometimes very limited minutes, but they almost always get in for at least a bit.

The subbing rules are difficult with GDA because as another poster said, once you're subbed out you can't go back in. You also only get 3 subs a game so only 14 of your 18 dressed players will get to play. So the coaches are obviously playing not to lose and are afraid to sub out their star players. With ECNL it's open subbing and all 18 players can get in the game.
            That you don't know that 5 subs are allowed per regular game and 7 in showcases tell me that you don't know what you are talking about.

Comment

If you are thinking about GDA for your girl next year, please know

- You will play about 25 games from September to June.
              -There are 3 showcases (sites TBD)
              -Florida teams travel as far north as Charlotte (once a year)
              -same price as non gda teams, travel isnt too bad. If you want to take entire family , then yes its in the 10s of thousands. But they have videos of every game availableif you cant go
              -unless you are one of the 5-6 studs, you will NOT play the entire game. Most likely your kid will play half the game. There is no in and out and back in sub rules.
              -training is 4 days a week and its based off a curriculum all gda's use. (thats their main selling point, games are just an afterthought
              -GDA teams do not play tournaments (exception would be disney but teams are burnt out during thanksgiving)
              -They do not allow school soccer, it is what it is, your kid can go play but if caught and reported the team is fined and the team retaliates by sitting the girl a couple of games.

Im sure im missing alot of other cons and pros but its not for everyone, so if your girl is good but not awesome she will NOT be playing entire games. If you are lucky enough to have a stud, there is nothing better, no better competition or showcasing ability than GDA.
              Con: you will have haters tell you how GDA sucks on TS all year long (or is that a Pro?)

Comment

Mass Tryouts are stupid. Players should sign up by season. GDA does not have this issue because they can recruit anyone except other GDA club players anytime they want, 24/7. There is no point in trying out for GDA. If your daughter is better than the current GDA squad they will give her a look and if they want her, add her to the roster. GDA Tryouts, really, this must be a joke.
                Some clubs won't have them at all - they'll invite players to practices like you said. But they can't necessarily add them at that time because of rules about roster add ons and if they have room. Some will have one big tryout session in June but it's mostly for show. By then they pretty much know who they want.

Comment

If you are thinking about GDA for your girl next year, please know

- You will play about 25 games from September to June.
                  -There are 3 showcases (sites TBD)
                  -Florida teams travel as far north as Charlotte (once a year)
                  -same price as non gda teams, travel isnt too bad. If you want to take entire family , then yes its in the 10s of thousands. But they have videos of every game availableif you cant go
                  -unless you are one of the 5-6 studs, you will NOT play the entire game. Most likely your kid will play half the game. There is no in and out and back in sub rules.
                  -training is 4 days a week and its based off a curriculum all gda's use. (thats their main selling point, games are just an afterthought
                  -GDA teams do not play tournaments (exception would be disney but teams are burnt out during thanksgiving)
                  -They do not allow school soccer, it is what it is, your kid can go play but if caught and reported the team is fined and the team retaliates by sitting the girl a couple of games.

Im sure im missing alot of other cons and pros but its not for everyone, so if your girl is good but not awesome she will NOT be playing entire games. If you are lucky enough to have a stud, there is nothing better, no better competition or showcasing ability than GDA.
                  Gda sucks. Not better than ECNL. More Exposure in ECNL. The one showcase so far this year was not a big deal.

Comment

Gda sucks. Not better than ECNL. More Exposure in ECNL. The one showcase so far this year was not a big deal.
                    People shouldn't get caught up in leagues ad who is supposedly the best, but pick clubs near them that have the best training and fit for their kids. It might be ECNL, it might be GDA. Both still offer good competition overall and coach exposure. If you're a talented player in either league you'll be FINE! College coaches don't get caught up in leagues and look for individuals that can help them win games. GDA has other drawbacks like no high school sports and substitution rules so it won't appeal to everyone.

Comment

By comparison, ECNL has one less practice per week, more travel for league games, and the potential to move between A and B teams on a week to week basis.
                      Our ECNL teams also practiced 4 days a week.

Comment

Wow, you hit the trifecta... Liar, idiot and troll. Good for you putz.

Comment

The SE GDA 14, 15 & 16/17 teams are much better than the SE ECNL teams. There is no comparison. So based on that it is a very easy decision. If girls/teams move then you will have to make a decision. I am hearing movement talk both ways. ECNL teams are not happy with the level of competition and some GDA teams are not happy with the club and or coach. I have not heard 1 complaint about GDA competition. Top Hat, Concord and other teams do not want to play ECNL with their 2nd teams who play ECNL. Understand college coaches want to see kids in the most competitive environments. Thats why you dont see them at rec games.

Comment

And some GDA clubs practice 3 days a week. Shop local.

Comment

The SE GDA 14, 15 & 16/17 teams are much better than the SE ECNL teams. There is no comparison. So based on that it is a very easy decision. If girls/teams move then you will have to make a decision. I am hearing movement talk both ways. ECNL teams are not happy with the level of competition and some GDA teams are not happy with the club and or coach. I have not heard 1 complaint about GDA competition. Top Hat, Concord and other teams do not want to play ECNL with their 2nd teams who play ECNL. Understand college coaches want to see kids in the most competitive environments. Thats why you dont see them at rec games.
                              ECNL is still plenty competitive and some DA teams and games are terrible. A college coach worth his salt can focus on the player of interest, not the noise around them

Comment

That you don't know that 5 subs are allowed per regular game and 7 in showcases tell me that you don't know what you are talking about.
                                You might be right. I was looking at the 01/02 match reports and they are consistently playing 14/game. I assumed that was a rule and not a strategy but i could easily be wrong. Of course Thorns pays for travel for their GDA teams (players pay a flat $2000 fee which includes uniforms and all travel), so maybe they feel like they can travel a player and not play her.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X