• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    But do they?
    Do they what?

Comment

apologize? You are a moron
      I'm not the poster who said he should apologize, but I agree that was an offensive post. Seriously "immigrants...if that's what you want to call them" and implying that "his" kids are improving while the other kids have it "easy" because soccer somehow comes naturally to them???!!! That is dog-whistle racist bull****!

The civil war is over grandpa and you lost. Take off the hood and shut up!

Comment

So, you’re calling immigrants “lazy”?
        Because they’re better at soccer...?
        You are an idiot...the original poster said the following: "The best and most committed players are the children of immigrants."

Comment

You are an idiot...the original poster said the following: "The best and most committed players are the children of immigrants."
          Listen, maybe that's a little extreme to say they are the "best", but to respond the way you did is not excusable. You didnt need to respond that way.

Comment

The gist of responses seem to say you are not wrong--and who can blame college coaches for finding foreign players who'll help them win? At the college games I've seen, the international players are usually the best players. They are not sitting on the bench.

Similar dynamic at the youth and club boys teams I've known: The best and most committed players are the children of immigrants.

Maybe these imported college players will stick around the US and actually help create a real soccer culture here, not the pay-to-play farce we have now.
            Remember that the process for many of these foreign players to come to U.S. colleges is the same as U.S. players. Few college coaches are actively looking abroad for talent (most barely look further than a couple hundred miles from campus). Most often the players, whether they are from the U.S. or not, are initiating the contact and then the coach invites them to an ID camp and campus visit. These foreign players then need to show they are one of the best to get a roster spot. So I highly doubt most college programs are actively "importing" them.

If they are foreign, they don't qualify for federal loans and since scholarships are few, they are probably paying full bill. They must really value an American education.

Comment

This has got to be the most racist I've seen posted here yet. It's "deeply embedded" sounds like you think kicking vs throwing is something in your DNA. I'm sure a lot of foreign born MLB pitchers would disagree with you.
              Oh no. A snowflake has been triggered. Everyone to their safe space, quick!

Comment

Remember that the process for many of these foreign players to come to U.S. colleges is the same as U.S. players. Few college coaches are actively looking abroad for talent (most barely look further than a couple hundred miles from campus). Most often the players, whether they are from the U.S. or not, are initiating the contact and then the coach invites them to an ID camp and campus visit. These foreign players then need to show they are one of the best to get a roster spot. So I highly doubt most college programs are actively "importing" them.

If they are foreign, they don't qualify for federal loans and since scholarships are few, they are probably paying full bill. They must really value an American education.
                Slightly outdated data, but I know of a DII women's college coach who had a pretty good pipeline to Ireland and Brazil, and captured players there before other countries ramped up their women's soccer programs.

So, it definitely happened.

Comment

I would 100% disagree that the 'immigrants'...as you call them...are the most committed. They were brought up kicking a ball...not throwing a baseball. Playing soccer comes easier to them because it is deeply embedded in their culture and upbringing. When something comes easy to you there is usually a lack of effort to improve. The kids on my sons team all work ridiculously hard on and off the field to improve.
                  Yes, I do call people who were born in another country and then came to this country "immigrants". Pretty sure that's what the dictionary says, too. Has that become an insult? I hope not. I'm not jumping on the poster for the "Playing soccer comes easier [for children of immigrants]..." comment because I think I see his point. Watching games at the u15 and below ages I can usually figure out which kids come from households with a cultural connection to soccer. They tend to play with an awareness that simply isn't there with most culturally "American Only" kids their age. So, yes, there is an advantage there. But I stand by my comment that these kids are better and more committed to the game at the younger ages. (That changes in later years when the kids start absorbing their soccer from each other--the cultural advantage fades and then you see the influence of the backgrounds of the player-pool they are exposed to (cf, Landon Donovan speaks Spanish)...and you also see the impact of all that "ridiculously hard" work!)

Comment

Slightly outdated data, but I know of a DII women's college coach who had a pretty good pipeline to Ireland and Brazil, and captured players there before other countries ramped up their women's soccer programs.

So, it definitely happened.
                    Did he capture them with a net or hit them over the head with a club?

I laughed when I saw this post because I grew up in Ireland and played soccer there. I don't know about Brazil, but a college degree in Ireland costs what one year at a private U.S. college costs. The best Irish players want to go to England or mainland Europe where they can earn a living in the pro clubs. Even Australia was preferable than going to America because the money just isn't there in the U.S. We would hear about American coaches who had some connection to Ireland trying to recruit, but they never offered enough money to cover the cost of going to school there. Highly doubt the best Irish players are going to the U.S.

Comment

Did he capture them with a net or hit them over the head with a club?

I laughed when I saw this post because I grew up in Ireland and played soccer there. I don't know about Brazil, but a college degree in Ireland costs what one year at a private U.S. college costs. The best Irish players want to go to England or mainland Europe where they can earn a living in the pro clubs. Even Australia was preferable than going to America because the money just isn't there in the U.S. We would hear about American coaches who had some connection to Ireland trying to recruit, but they never offered enough money to cover the cost of going to school there. Highly doubt the best Irish players are going to the U.S.
                      I don't know. Just that he had a line through contacts (he was came from one of the British Isles) and would get female players every year. Great ones for DII. How he got into Brazil, I have no idea, but he had a few who played on their NT.

Comment

There are systems in place for recruiting international players, basically recruiting companies, events etc. College coaches also develop relationships with pipeline sources. It's quite a developed system

You're also wrong on the $. It is true they can't qualify for federal money. But they can get athletic money as well as merit money given by the school. Most can go to college for practically free at home. Most aren't coming without a substantial financial incentive. Coaches spend a good amount of their money on inaternationals and then top GK. The rest get whatever is left.

Comment

I don't know. Just that he had a line through contacts (he was came from one of the British Isles) and would get female players every year. Great ones for DII. How he got into Brazil, I have no idea, but he had a few who played on their NT.
                          For the Irish women, you are seeing the 2nd or 3rd rated players who have few choices since the goal is to be in the pro leagues for the best. Going to college is secondary and many don't. We don't have the college teams like in the States. NT is mostly top clubs in Ireland and abroad.

Comment

Listen, maybe that's a little extreme to say they are the "best", but to respond the way you did is not excusable. You didnt need to respond that way.
                            Excusable to who? You, an anonymous poster on TS...that's laughable.

Comment

Yes, I do call people who were born in another country and then came to this country "immigrants". Pretty sure that's what the dictionary says, too. Has that become an insult? I hope not. I'm not jumping on the poster for the "Playing soccer comes easier [for children of immigrants]..." comment because I think I see his point. Watching games at the u15 and below ages I can usually figure out which kids come from households with a cultural connection to soccer. They tend to play with an awareness that simply isn't there with most culturally "American Only" kids their age. So, yes, there is an advantage there. But I stand by my comment that these kids are better and more committed to the game at the younger ages. (That changes in later years when the kids start absorbing their soccer from each other--the cultural advantage fades and then you see the influence of the backgrounds of the player-pool they are exposed to (cf, Landon Donovan speaks Spanish)...and you also see the impact of all that "ridiculously hard" work!)
                              The awareness comes from playing much more often than American players, mostly in informal settings. They also start younger (again more informally) and watch games with family and friends. Not many American kids watch games regularly. So really immigrants are "working " much harder to learn the game and perfect their skills than many American players. It just isn't formal or even looks like work. They aren't born with more natural abilities. They just do it more and at an earlier age that the 3-4 organized times a week most Americans work at it

Comment

There are systems in place for recruiting international players, basically recruiting companies, events etc. College coaches also develop relationships with pipeline sources. It's quite a developed system

You're also wrong on the $. It is true they can't qualify for federal money. But they can get athletic money as well as merit money given by the school. Most can go to college for practically free at home. Most aren't coming without a substantial financial incentive. Coaches spend a good amount of their money on inaternationals and then top GK. The rest get whatever is left.
                                Yes, but the pipelines you are referring to usually are coming to the coaches rather than the other way around. These private recruiters take money from the player's family promising to make a connection to the coach so the player can go to school in the U.S. The recruiters then reach out to the coaches. Doesn't cost the coach/college anything unless they arrange an official campus visit. This is a rarer scenario than the one I described where the individual player is reaching out to the coach. The Internet and YouTube have really democratized the recruiting process.

I've seen firsthand the $ involved in sports scholarships and can tell you that all these "full" scholarships are a myth. 95% of the D1 colleges out there don't have the funds to give significant money to soccer players (maybe football or basketball, but not soccer). Maybe academic/merit scholarships are making up the difference.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X