Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Drive So Far?

Honest question here. For those of you that drive an hour plus each way for practice why do you do it?

Are there no comparable options near you?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Honest question here. For those of you that drive an hour plus each way for practice why do you do it?

That's right. We'll drive further for a better coach and team chemistry. Time in the car is not something we avoid. Some of our best conversations have happened on these long rides.

Comment

Of course we drive because there are no comparable options. There are clubs and facilities but few clubs offer DA, ECNL and high level NPL for girls so those clubs attract from all over if your daughter has the talent.

Comment

Our drive is only 27 miles but with traffic at certain times, it can take over an hour. And no, there are not better options closer, and yes, you do get used to it. And (usually) love the time in the car with my teenager. Great memories.

Comment

Sometimes there is no reasonable option close by. Everyone has their limit. 30 to 40 min is mine. I will chose the best fit i can find within that distance. And it is not perfect by any means. For us, that is the time available. After that, eats into homework too much (some just can't be done well in the car) and time needed for other kids.

Comment

An hour is past my limit, especially with heavy traffic (more miles but moving is way better than top and go the whole way). But absolutely I would do it if there weren't a good fit for my players nearby. Luckily we have options for both within 30-40min, but as they get older the options shrink and longer drives may be a necessity. Longer drives are find for older kids. Anyone doing an hour for younger kids is nuts.

Comment

An hour is past my limit, especially with heavy traffic (more miles but moving is way better than top and go the whole way). But absolutely I would do it if there weren't a good fit for my players nearby. Luckily we have options for both within 30-40min, but as they get older the options shrink and longer drives may be a necessity. Longer drives are find for older kids. Anyone doing an hour for younger kids is nuts.
              Oh, KeeperofWhatisNuts, why is an hour the cut off? Why not 45 minutes, or 75? Does the type of car matter? An hour in my old minivan was a long ride, but an hour in my newer car is a rather joyful ride? Does how long the practice matter (i.e. 60 vs. 90 minutes)?

Comment

My kid currently has a 45 min drive, no options available at his level any closer, but we consider each year moving to a few other clubs a little over an hour away. As we're used to doing the 45 minute drive, having been at the current club for four years, an extra 15 minutes each way doesn't seem like a great sacrifice if we feel our kid's experience will be greatly improved at a different club.

I think this depends on the player as a student, as well. If your kid is struggling at school and needs extra time to complete homework, then no, a long drive to soccer training three days a week is probably not in the kid's best interest. If your kid is a good student, gets homework done quickly and needs little review for tests, then the extra time spent in the car having quality conversations with a parent may actually be better than idle time at home playing video games. As parents, we enjoy switching off taking our kid to practice, as it's sometimes difficult to get one on one time with individual kids in a family setting.

Comment

Oh, KeeperofWhatisNuts, why is an hour the cut off? Why not 45 minutes, or 75? Does the type of car matter? An hour in my old minivan was a long ride, but an hour in my newer car is a rather joyful ride? Does how long the practice matter (i.e. 60 vs. 90 minutes)?
                  Just my personal preference (two hours there and back plus 90 min practice is a good chunk of a kid's day). But as I said I think two hours in the car for an eleven year old is crazy - you're asking for burnout. A 15 year old is different. If you're spending more time in the car than the actual practice you should question what you're doing. No decent club practices for only an hour anyway so your example is a poor one.

Comment

Just my personal preference (two hours there and back plus 90 min practice is a good chunk of a kid's day). But as I said I think two hours in the car for an eleven year old is crazy - you're asking for burnout. A 15 year old is different. If you're spending more time in the car than the actual practice you should question what you're doing. No decent club practices for only an hour anyway so your example is a poor one.
                    But, KeeperofWhatisNuts, you didn't say it was your personal preference. You just stated it was nuts, so I would like to not be a nut. I want to know which rules are out there that we need to follow.

Can you send me a list?

Comment

But, KeeperofWhatisNuts, you didn't say it was your personal preference. You just stated it was nuts, so I would like to not be a nut. I want to know which rules are out there that we need to follow.

Can you send me a list?
                      Hey douche, are you always a douche or just on anonymous chatboards?

Comment

Can you send me a list?
                        You seem to be the best qualified on here to explain what makes a nut.

Comment

You seem to be the best qualified on here to explain what makes a nut.
                          He sees it in the mirror every day

Comment

He sees it in the mirror every day
                            This thread was doomed from the start!

Comment

Hey douche, are you always a douche or just on anonymous chatboards?
                              Depends. I mean, generally, I'm a pretty relaxed guy. But, when I come across holier-than-thous, I will let them know.

HBU?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X