Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I heard Top players can play high school if they want.
    Also having two sets of rules for players based on ability level is dumb. Playing time and opportunities i get, but playing high school soccer "ok" for one but not all is dumb.

Comment

Why does gda try to ban high school? Why limit yourself so much?
      So what if you don’t get the best players?. Does it really matter? Playing soccer should be about having fun, am I wrong? Stressing about wins kind of defeats the purpose. My recommendation is to relax and enjoy it whatever it might be.

Comment

Also having two sets of rules for players based on ability level is dumb. Playing time and opportunities i get, but playing high school soccer "ok" for one but not all is dumb.
        HS soccer if fun for every recreational level player. Why should advanced players have to suffer and play with and against rec kids? Seriously.

Comment

Can the Portland Thornz Asylum really be THAT terrible? LAST place in U15. LAST place in U16/17. More or less LAST place in U18/19. And in a watered down GDA at that. How come everything I've read on here from the Thornz supporters is all about how the Academy players are by far the best of the best in the state? Someone's telling lies...
          Have you ever seen the bottom of the barrel of Glenfiddich Janet Sheed Roberts Reserve 1955?
          It is considered the best of the best. Thank you for helping clarify that with your post.

Comment

HS soccer if fun for every recreational level player. Why should advanced players have to suffer and play with and against rec kids? Seriously.
            If you watched Jesuit, Clackamas, etc you’d realize the best players in Oregon played HS soccer this year.

I think the OP point was that if you don’t allow kids to play HS you have to be happy with whatever talent level you wind up with.

Elite players don’t have to give up anything. Girls tend to like HS soccer in my experience.

Comment

Is it suffering if that is what most of the "advanced" players want to do?

Give these players a choice and most of the "advanced" players will choose to "suffer" and play HS soccer.

Comment

If you watched Jesuit, Clackamas, etc you’d realize the best players in Oregon played HS soccer this year. I think the OP point was that if you don’t allow kids to play HS you have to be happy with whatever talent level you wind up with.
                Elite players don’t have to give up anything. Girls tend to like HS soccer in my experience.
                You failed to mention the other 155 HS Varsity teams across the state, if you did you realize that HS Varsity Soccer is actually a level overall on par with mid level recreational teams. The other 300 JV & JV 2 HS teams are so bad that calling them recreational is a slap in the face to recreational soccer.

Elite players have options to avoid this black hole, that's all.

Comment

You failed to mention the other 155 HS Varsity teams across the state, if you did you realize that HS Varsity Soccer is actually a level overall on par with mid level recreational teams. The other 300 JV & JV 2 HS teams are so bad that calling them recreational is a slap in the face to recreational soccer.

Elite players have options to avoid this black hole, that's all.
                  And how many of those other 155 HS Varsity teams have "elite" level players that will benefit by skipping HS soccer.

If your player is playing JV or JV2 soccer then why are you even on here debating about elite or levels of soccer at recreational level.

I haven't really watched recreation soccer beyond the 2nd grade level. You must spend a lot of time on the rec fields if you are able to make a fair comparison between HS soccer and rec soccer.

Good for you if you choose not to play HS soccer. Some very good HS players choose to play HS soccer. Some of these players will end up playing college soccer.

Comment

If you watched Jesuit, Clackamas, etc you’d realize the best players in Oregon played HS soccer this year.

I think the OP point was that if you don’t allow kids to play HS you have to be happy with whatever talent level you wind up with.

The thorns team have a handful 3-4 very good players and the rest would struggle in high school.

The elite players don't have to sacrifice high school soccer, basketball and school activities. Most of them like having fans come and cheer.

Comment

And how many of those other 155 HS Varsity teams have "elite" level players that will benefit by skipping HS soccer.

If your player is playing JV or JV2 soccer then why are you even on here debating about elite or levels of soccer at recreational level.

I haven't really watched recreation soccer beyond the 2nd grade level. You must spend a lot of time on the rec fields if you are able to make a fair comparison between HS soccer and rec soccer.

Good for you if you choose not to play HS soccer. Some very good HS players choose to play HS soccer. Some of these players will end up playing college soccer.
                      Like many you miss the big picture and reality that all Oregon Club soccer and HS Soccer are basically pay to play 'recreational soccer' platforms. There are other options available for those who have elite ability and don't want to be trapped in the recreational landscape available to anyone willing to pay.

Comment

The thorns team have a handful 3-4 very good players and the rest would struggle in high school.The elite players don't have to sacrifice high school soccer, basketball and school activities. Most of them like having fans come and cheer.
                        No elite level Oregon soccer players are giving up playing hs basketball, not by a long stretch the handful of Oregon elite girls, just don't play HS Basketball for giggles, they focus on Soccer. It is, what it is. What is your definition of elite? a JV HS Soccer player?

There might be 4 - 8 'elite' level Oregon girls and they have options outside of HS and Oregon Club: like youth National Teams & US Dev. Academy. Don't hate them for being the best of the best. Work on getting better by playing HS Soccer, right.

Comment

No elite level Oregon soccer players are giving up playing hs basketball, not by a long stretch the handful of Oregon elite girls, just don't play HS Basketball for giggles, they focus on Soccer. It is, what it is. What is your definition of elite? a JV HS Soccer player?

There might be 4 - 8 'elite' level Oregon girls and they have options outside of HS and Oregon Club: like youth National Teams & US Dev. Academy. Don't hate them for being the best of the best. Work on getting better by playing HS Soccer, right.
                          I can’t even come up with four ‘elite’ level Oregon girls. How many have played for the National team at any age group, two.

Comment

I can’t even come up with four ‘elite’ level Oregon girls. How many have played for the National team at any age group, two.
                            Bingo, we have so few elite players—they land at the DA & the rest of the non elites stay at the local club & rec HS. Which makes the foolish statement that ‘elites’ don’t have to give up HS pure fantasy. The elites gave up playing HS long ago, wanna be elites still toil in HS, hence why HS is the perfect fit for the non-elite player. It’s how it should be.

Comment

The thorns team have a handful 3-4 very good players and the rest would struggle in high school.

The elite players don't have to sacrifice high school soccer, basketball and school activities. Most of them like having fans come and cheer.
                              i think if they gda allowed HS soccer and basketball they might draw better players??

Comment

That really stings that the best players play high school soccer. No matter what, most girls want to participate in high school sports, dances, activities. You are only a teen once.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X