Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Every manager wants this: the best for their kid and power over the rest. The end.
    I've heard it said a number of times that there are "two kids who play youth soccer: your kid is one and then everyone else's is the other". So, yeah, I put my hand up to be TM to get the best for my kid (or at least better than I saw happen with some trainwreck TMs), but as for power over the rest? The only truth to that is whatever 'power' I wield to get the 'best' for my kid is always going to be equally shared by the rest of the team. To do otherwise would make me more of an @sshole than I already am, and I'm trying to become less of an AH.

Comment

A good deal of manager bashing yet I bet most you bashers won't ever step in to help. The majority do it just to be helpful when no one else will volunteer. The few that do it for their own reasons (to get their kid more PT) usually don't last long.

Comment

A good deal of manager bashing yet I bet most you bashers won't ever step in to help. The majority do it just to be helpful when no one else will volunteer. The few that do it for their own reasons (to get their kid more PT) usually don't last long.
        So true.

Comment

Guess we are fortunate where we are. The club, parents, coaches, & every player we have met has been great. Especially to our child. All team managers, (only met same age group) have been so kind & very helpful. Even going above & beyond to help our player fit in when a guest play invite was presented. Certainly didn't expect any negative feedback regarding managers. Only looking for IF their donated work is compensated in any way. OP

Comment

Its usually very easy to tell when a person is volunteering to help the team vs. a person that’s volunteering to suck up to the coaches . I greatly appreciate the ones who are only trying to help the team , without ulterior motives. They also deserve some compensation for their time and effort, if it’s a pay to play club. Shame on a club that charges tuition , yet still pawns off duties to parents. Isn’t that what we are paying for ?

Comment

The standard should be 1,000 off tuition

Comment

And where is this huge staff of non parent managers coming from? Pretty sure the big 3 on the girls side (NEFC, Stars and SSS) all use parent managers. Ours happens to be awesome!
                And so does Scorpions and they do give a discount to the manager

Comment

You get to cozy up to the coach at the bar during tournaments!
                  This is true. Lots of inside info.

Comment

You get to cozy up to the coach at the bar during tournaments!
                    I have witnessed two team managers at our club get very cozy with coaches. One is now a couple and the other had a relationship going for a time. Both were married. Nice people but watch out husbands if your wife is team manager.

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post

I have witnessed two team managers at our club get very cozy with coaches. One is now a couple and the other had a relationship going for a time. Both were married. Nice people but watch out husbands if your wife is team manager.
                      My older kid's team had a parent manager who somehow migrated into this strange quasi-assistant coach status- he'd sit with team during games, etc. It was very weird.

Comment

I (a dad) was a mommager for my D's team for a couple of years. I didn't get any incentive to do anything; maybe I should've asked but never thought about it. To be fair, my D's current club manager does a helluva more than I did. I wasn't treated any differently from the club, and far as I can tell she wasn't either. I just happened to have the ability to do a few things to help w/ logistics and to get some e-mails out and since nobody else offered I said I would.

It was kind of a pain in the ass since some people are just so unresponsive, but otherwise it was a "meh" job met with a "meh" performance.

Comment

The perk is to be able to direct game times away from personal conflicts once in a while. I enjoyed that a lot. (Parents would hook me up with a decent gift card at season's end.)

Happy to have "served," but happier to leave it all behind after a few years.

Comment

Sure that can happen but more often than not it doesn't. Most parent managers are just trying to help make a season go smoothly for their kids and all the others. Some coaches are swamped (they almost always have another job) and some are terrible at organization.

Depending on the club it can be a lot of work (scheduling games, communicating with other clubs, dealing with travel) or very little (organizing team meetings and dinners, just being a point person). I've done both sides of it and for the former half off fees was appreciated considering how much work it was. Like above, I was happy to pass that off to a club staffer when we moved clubs. Bigger clubs tend to have staff that handle all that stuff.

Comment

I've yet to see s club manager who's daughter was at the same level of play as others. That's the biggest incentive. Snowplow managers securing a future for their kids. Prove me wrong.

Comment

I've yet to see s club manager who's daughter was at the same level of play as others. That's the biggest incentive. Snowplow managers securing a future for their kids. Prove me wrong.
                                our team manager's daughter is easily one of the better players on our team

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X