Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did CASL get rained out too? Any college coaches?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did CASL get rained out too? Any college coaches?

How was CASL this weekend? Did you get all of your games in? Weather in the southeast was pretty rough?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    How was CASL this weekend? Did you get all of your games in? Weather in the southeast was pretty rough?
    First 2 games in; last one shortened to 40 minutes only on turf fields.

Coaches showed well Friday and Saturday morning, but a lot left early afternoon Saturday. Sunday was a hit or miss since so many turf fields spread out.

Not a bad showing at WRAL, but just a few here and there at outer fields watching specific players I’m sure.

Comment

First 2 games in; last one shortened to 40 minutes only on turf fields.

Coaches showed well Friday and Saturday morning, but a lot left early afternoon Saturday. Sunday was a hit or miss since so many turf fields spread out.

Not a bad showing at WRAL, but just a few here and there at outer fields watching specific players I’m sure.
      Long way and crapload of $$$ to go for 2 games

Comment

Long way and crapload of $$$ to go for 2 games
        Disappointing how Sunday turned out, but CASL did try to make it work. There was no great solution, but a cancellation would have been the worst option. They cancelled a weekend several years back due to weather and it was horrible. It took months to unravel the refunds.

College coaches in attendance were surprisingly good. Several schools that my daughter contacted did watch and are following up this week with info requests/future game schedules. Same for other players on her team, including a few girls that were contacted out of the blue with no previous contact. There were a lot of small schools there, which obviously is not the "dream" but they can provide a lot of opportunity for playing at the next level. It is all a matter of perspective and reality. CASL is no longer a prime recruiting venue like it used to be (ie Powerhouse D1 programs), but it remains, in my opinion, a solid option for girls that can play at the smaller DI, DII level, and those strong DIII schools with high academics.

If your player is in the NT pool, or a 4-5 star recruit, CASL is not the best route. If your daughter is a good player that wants to play in college, but not commit to the rigors of a DI program (sports over academics), CASL can provide some great options.

Overall, weekend was a B+, but would have been an A if not for the weather.

Comment

Disappointing how Sunday turned out, but CASL did try to make it work. There was no great solution, but a cancellation would have been the worst option. They cancelled a weekend several years back due to weather and it was horrible. It took months to unravel the refunds.

College coaches in attendance were surprisingly good. Several schools that my daughter contacted did watch and are following up this week with info requests/future game schedules. Same for other players on her team, including a few girls that were contacted out of the blue with no previous contact. There were a lot of small schools there, which obviously is not the "dream" but they can provide a lot of opportunity for playing at the next level. It is all a matter of perspective and reality. CASL is no longer a prime recruiting venue like it used to be (ie Powerhouse D1 programs), but it remains, in my opinion, a solid option for girls that can play at the smaller DI, DII level, and those strong DIII schools with high academics.

If your player is in the NT pool, or a 4-5 star recruit, CASL is not the best route. If your daughter is a good player that wants to play in college, but not commit to the rigors of a DI program (sports over academics), CASL can provide some great options.

Overall, weekend was a B+, but would have been an A if not for the weather.
          Nice post! Thanks for sharing.

I agree 100% with your comment, "If your player is in the NT pool, or a 4-5 star recruit, CASL is not the best route. If your daughter is a good player that wants to play in college, but not commit to the rigors of a DI program (sports over academics), CASL can provide some great options." I think Disney is the same. Except CASL has more D1 schools attending.

Comment

Nice post! Thanks for sharing.

I agree 100% with your comment, "If your player is in the NT pool, or a 4-5 star recruit, CASL is not the best route. If your daughter is a good player that wants to play in college, but not commit to the rigors of a DI program (sports over academics), CASL can provide some great options." I think Disney is the same. Except CASL has more D1 schools attending.
            We did Disney too (plus CASL). Looong 2 weeks. Disney was hit or miss on the coaches, especially compared to years past. There definitely was opportunity there, but I feel that the combo of year-end soccer season, NCAA tournament, and simply the fact that it was Thanksgiving, were all deterrents for more D1 coaches to attend. From my viewpoint, CASL had a better turnout, which was a surprise.

But like I said, CASL, and now maybe Disney, do not appear to be the top showcases for those powerhouse schools. I suspect that is (for now) the GDA showcase. GDA is the hot new car on the lot and the buzz. However, at least for my daughter, she no longer has any interest in a D1 path. She tried GDA for a year and ECNL before that. The training/playing schedule for D1 is intense, especially those students that look at college for a career path. Not knocking those that choose that direction, but it obviously is not for everyone and their personal plans. My daughter is looking at some lower D1, DII, and solid DIII schools. Of her list, I am happily surprised at the quality of the soccer programs at the DIII schools. Each coach told my daughter that academics take priority. Soccer is worked around that. The exact opposite was told to her at the big D1 schools. She was told to expect reduced course loads, heavy preference towards certain "easier" majors, and a majority of online classes to facilitate travel. Not the college experience she is looking for.

Anyways, decent weekend at CASL. I've certainly paid more for much less in this soccer adventure.

Comment

There's WAY to many sane, rational comments on this thread. can we please get back to the irrational screamers??

Comment

We did Disney too (plus CASL). Looong 2 weeks. Disney was hit or miss on the coaches, especially compared to years past. There definitely was opportunity there, but I feel that the combo of year-end soccer season, NCAA tournament, and simply the fact that it was Thanksgiving, were all deterrents for more D1 coaches to attend. From my viewpoint, CASL had a better turnout, which was a surprise.

But like I said, CASL, and now maybe Disney, do not appear to be the top showcases for those powerhouse schools. I suspect that is (for now) the GDA showcase. GDA is the hot new car on the lot and the buzz. However, at least for my daughter, she no longer has any interest in a D1 path. She tried GDA for a year and ECNL before that. The training/playing schedule for D1 is intense, especially those students that look at college for a career path. Not knocking those that choose that direction, but it obviously is not for everyone and their personal plans. My daughter is looking at some lower D1, DII, and solid DIII schools. Of her list, I am happily surprised at the quality of the soccer programs at the DIII schools. Each coach told my daughter that academics take priority. Soccer is worked around that. The exact opposite was told to her at the big D1 schools. She was told to expect reduced course loads, heavy preference towards certain "easier" majors, and a majority of online classes to facilitate travel. Not the college experience she is looking for.

Anyways, decent weekend at CASL. I've certainly paid more for much less in this soccer adventure.
                I think Thanksgiving weekend is a huge mistake. It costs a FORTUNE for people to fly that the time of year and traveling that week just sucks in general. Coaches and families would rather be home with their families. Coaches are coming off their seasons and want a breather

Comment

D3 is an excellent way to get a good education and still play soccer. Too many get wrapped in it having to be D1, but that comes with a steep cost. D1 coaches will tell you school has three components but you can only pick two and the come in this order 1) athletics 2) academics 3) social and anything else. In D1 your job is also always on the line. D3 lets you still play, have more of a life. You're more likely to play all four years (you're not in D1). More importantly it's easier for certain majors like science (lots of labs) as well as to do study abroad and internships. My oldest was driven for D1 but slowly changed her mind after I basically pushed her to at least look at some quality D3s. Eventually that's the way she went and she couldn't be happier. Now her younger sibling is looking at the same.

Comment

I think Thanksgiving weekend is a huge mistake. It costs a FORTUNE for people to fly that the time of year and traveling that week just sucks in general. Coaches and families would rather be home with their families. Coaches are coming off their seasons and want a breather
                    I agree 100%. The timing of the Disney event couldn't be worse for families and coaches. I think the turnout would be significantly higher form college coaches if it was held just one or two weeks later. However Disney has shareholders that they have to make happy. So I doubt they change their dates anytime soon.

Comment

I agree 100%. The timing of the Disney event couldn't be worse for families and coaches. I think the turnout would be significantly higher form college coaches if it was held just one or two weeks later. However Disney has shareholders that they have to make happy. So I doubt they change their dates anytime soon.
                      I guess everything is perspective- Disney coach turnout for my daughter was much better this year than last. Lots of good D-1 programs came out from SEC and ACC, Sunbelt , Conf USA and others. Many of the coaches are international so Thanksgiving isn’t as big with them.

I agree I wish it was 2 weeks later but it was a good time with players and family and 3 good days of soccer.

Comment

I also believe CASL coaching turnout is cyclical with college cup. If I am not mistaken College Cup is in NC every other year and in past years where College Cup was in CA the CASL coaching turnout is not quite as good.

This is based off of parents comments rather than data, but I have heard this from a few people.

Comment

I guess everything is perspective- Disney coach turnout for my daughter was much better this year than last. Lots of good D-1 programs came out from SEC and ACC, Sunbelt , Conf USA and others. Many of the coaches are international so Thanksgiving isn’t as big with them.

I agree I wish it was 2 weeks later but it was a good time with players and family and 3 good days of soccer.
                          I agree! Disney turnout this year was much better than last year even though there were more coaches registered last year. Go figure!

Comment

Daughter's team did Disney and CASL. Our team manager wrote down the coaches they saw at each game. At Disney they had 30 coaches at each game Fri & Sat, and at CASL there were around 50 each game Fri & Sat. The sundays games had like 5.

Comment

Daughter's team did Disney and CASL. Our team manager wrote down the coaches they saw at each game. At Disney they had 30 coaches at each game Fri & Sat, and at CASL there were around 50 each game Fri & Sat. The sundays games had like 5.
                              Last day of event always dries up.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X