Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    You guys crack me up. Its not negativity. my kid is at a top 10 soccer school playing minutes as a freshman. Academically the school is top 30. The recruiting process could not have been easier.

- never go to ID camps, complete waste of money
    - no one cares about you tube videos
    - find a club with respected leadership

Is that helpful ?
    Since the process couldn't have been easier, why don't you share how your daughter went about it? The only schools that fit your listed criteria are Stanford, Duke, UNC, UVA, UCLA and maybe Notre Dame or Georgetown, depending upon what ranking system you're looking at. If your kid is getting significant mintes at one of those schools (except ND or GT, they're a different level), as a Freshman, either A) she is an exceptional player with a list of accolades and NT involvement prior to and continuing through college or B) your full of crap and are just trolling.
    Either way you're an ass with too much time on their hands.

Comment

Since the process couldn't have been easier, why don't you share how your daughter went about it? The only schools that fit your listed criteria are Stanford, Duke, UNC, UVA, UCLA and maybe Notre Dame or Georgetown, depending upon what ranking system you're looking at. If your kid is getting significant mintes at one of those schools (except ND or GT, they're a different level), as a Freshman, either A) she is an exceptional player with a list of accolades and NT involvement prior to and continuing through college or B) your full of crap and are just trolling.
      why am I and ass? i just shared my experiences. am i and ass because my daughter is an elite player? It perfectly illustrates my point. Unless you know WHO is actually talking, the experiences are not that useful. you can add in UCLA if you want.

Call me all the names you want, but I proved my point. you dont know if im A or B And you choose to call me names when all im doing is telling you the gods honest truth.

Comment

and how is that relevant to your case ? How do you need advice to have a realistic perception of where your kids ability, drive and ambitions intersect with her ability to meet them? that is called parenting. Or yours to financially provide them without a sport? thats called reality. Stuff that only you can know.

lists of placements reflect many things that are clearly not disclosed. two college players of what standard? thats the point.
        I think we're speaking in general terms here...nobody's saying-run to the club that has the best list of college committments, but if your kid is interested in playing in college, she should probably play with a club that has some experience in placing players or some program in place that helps guide players/parents through the process.

Some people are true novices and have no idea how to navigate the process, when they have a player who is considered very good. I'm not talking about the handful of truly elite players who are on all the top programs' radars by 8th grade, I'm talking about the next level and down.

Comment

oh and ill tell you how she went about it. She trained hard. Improved. sat down with a respected soccer figure listed her list of criteria for a College. I will stick to the soccer ones as this is a soccer forum

- playing surface
          - climate

then picked out the schools that she felt she could handle academically.

Sent a form letter to the hundreds of schools that reached out unsolicited to say she was not ready to make a decision. Contacted the schools she liked. Visited the 4 schools that met her criteria. made a decision and committed.

never attended an ID camp at any school. never asked a coach to come and watch a game. never sent any film to any coach.

is that helpful for you ?

Comment

I think we're speaking in general terms here...nobody's saying-run to the club that has the best list of college committments, but if your kid is interested in playing in college, she should probably play with a club that has some experience in placing players or some program in place that helps guide players/parents through the process.

Some people are true novices and have no idea how to navigate the process, when they have a player who is considered very good. I'm not talking about the handful of truly elite players who are on all the top programs' radars by 8th grade, I'm talking about the next level and down.
            Ahh...so we are getting some definition here then. the question is how does an average player increase the odds of getting into a school using soccer.

My answer would be work to become a better player. the top programs really dont look at very good very often. the rosters are full of kids who were top 2 or 3 at the very best Clubs.

Realistically if you are a mid lvl player, then you need to figure out how you are going to make yourself attractive to the school you want to attend. That can be getting great grades. It can be being positionally flexible. It can be compromising on the schools you want, but tbh unless you are financially constrained( which man are) why would you want to go to a school to play soccer that is not what you want academically? Soccer is a huge commitment even at D3 level.

I see a lot of families that get sucked into commitment being the "next step" on the club soccer treadmill. They do it because others are. Your situation is unique and you should be clear about that. people calling me names or saying its negative are wrong. its so unique to you that other than pretty obvious stuff, there is no advice i can really give you other than know your child and plan accordingly. The best advice would actually be save enough $$ to make soccer a non issue.

Just keeping it real.

Comment

oh and ill tell you how she went about it. She trained hard. Improved. sat down with a respected soccer figure listed her list of criteria for a College. I will stick to the soccer ones as this is a soccer forum

- playing surface
              - climate

then picked out the schools that she felt she could handle academically.

Sent a form letter to the hundreds of schools that reached out unsolicited to say she was not ready to make a decision. Contacted the schools she liked. Visited the 4 schools that met her criteria. made a decision and committed.

never attended an ID camp at any school. never asked a coach to come and watch a game. never sent any film to any coach.

is that helpful for you ?
              Not really.

Comment

Not really.
                Im shocked

Comment

Im shocked
                  I doubt that.

Comment

if you don't have anything to offer here - why do you keep replying? allow others to discuss freely what they want. if the topic doesn't suit you no need to keep trolling the page. we get it - you think there's nothing to be learned here and that's fine. others clearly have different opinions on this topic and wish to share freely their experience.

Comment

if you don't have anything to offer here - why do you keep replying? allow others to discuss freely what they want. if the topic doesn't suit you no need to keep trolling the page. we get it - you think there's nothing to be learned here and that's fine. others clearly have different opinions on this topic and wish to share freely their experience.
                      I was just pushing back at the ass with too much time on his hands and the super hero player. Let's get some useful stories.

Comment

I was just pushing back at the ass with too much time on his hands and the super hero player. Let's get some useful stories.
                        There's been some already. How about you offer something up smart azz

Comment

There's been some already. How about you offer something up smart azz
                          Lol. I did previously and was instantly scolded by a real charmer - probably you.

Comment

Were you the "my kid had no trouble getting recruited to a top program with no effort"? Well, your experience is very atypical from most players. Some of the advice on here has been spot on for what more typical players experience/need to do.

different poster

Comment

Shame this thread has been hijacked, it was a good effort OP.

I call BS on the poster with that superstar player. Parents with that level player are very secure and dont troll message boards to make themselves feel better.

-- new poster

Comment

i call BS on this. the poster just does not have the same experience as you. that does not equal nothing to offer. none of these posts are really sharing anything. They are people trying to show you how in the know they are. This ....

I see a lot of families that get sucked into commitment being the "next step" on the club soccer treadmill. They do it because others are. Your situation is unique and you should be clear about that. people calling me names or saying its negative are wrong. its so unique to you that other than pretty obvious stuff, there is no advice i can really give you other than know your child and plan accordingly. The best advice would actually be save enough $$ to make soccer a non issue.

Just keeping it real.

..is the most informative thing posted so far.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X