Experience with rough riders

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I was there at 13-14 attendance got low.... but now with GDA and them playing edp.. I don’t know.

Comment

RR pre academy training is 75mins/per week on Sunday + few tournaments ?

Comment

I can only speak as a parent of kids who paid against RR. Our oldest who is now a senior in HS always had good games against RR. Well coached teams that were organized and played well despite not having any amazing talent. Solid players but no superstars. Our youngest is 12 and played them 2 years ago in the NYCFC league. Those games were disasters. Coaches looked like they would rather be elsewhere. Kids were ok talent wise but they were so disorganized. It also got very rough. On game was called early by referee because a kid who kept getting dispossessed walked up to one of our players and punched him in the back of the head. That is a statement on the coaching and not a hot headed 10 year old. I would look elsewhere. LI has so many great options.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          I can only speak as a parent of kids who paid against RR. Our oldest who is now a senior in HS always had good games against RR. Well coached teams that were organized and played well despite not having any amazing talent. Solid players but no superstars. Our youngest is 12 and played them 2 years ago in the NYCFC league. Those games were disasters. Coaches looked like they would rather be elsewhere. Kids were ok talent wise but they were so disorganized. It also got very rough. On game was called early by referee because a kid who kept getting dispossessed walked up to one of our players and punched him in the back of the head. That is a statement on the coaching and not a hot headed 10 year old. I would look elsewhere. LI has so many great options.
          Thanks for the feedback. So what are some other good options if your son/daughter wants to keep playing for their town team?

Comment

This post is not from someone who was in the program, and frankly sounds so unlike anything I've seen or heard about RR that I think it's BS. Sounds like a disgruntled parent who lost a game. Implying the RR encourages dirty or rough play, is a complete lie. "No superstars?" That's a stupid comment. You send kids to RR to train and get better. They don't recruit a "team". If you want your kid to get better, send them to RR.

Comment

This post is not from someone who was in the program, and frankly sounds so unlike anything I've seen or heard about RR that I think it's BS. Sounds like a disgruntled parent who lost a game. Implying the RR encourages dirty or rough play, is a complete lie. "No superstars?" That's a stupid comment. You send kids to RR to train and get better. They don't recruit a "team". If you want your kid to get better, send them to RR.
              OP here. First of all, any parent who cares about winning/losing at this age is an idiot. This age is about development. If the kids are learning and having fun, nobody should care about wins/losses.

That being said, I believe our team was up 3-0 when the RR boys started getting nasty and it was 5 or 6-0 when the punch was thrown and the game was called.

I never said RR encouraged rough play. I said the coaches looked like they wanted to be elsewhere... which means they were not giving a crap about what was happening on the field and created the environment for rough play.

As for "super stars" you are reading too much into it. At this age group any team will have separation of players where 2-3 kids will stand out and the rest will be "middle of pack". My point was RR did not have any standouts... which again goes back to the coaching. Take any 20 kids, a good coach should be able to develop all the players and 2-3 gifted athletes will start to emerge. With bad coaching, all the kids will be at the same level.

Rather than just being an advertisement for RR, you should offer some actual advice and knowledge.

Comment

OP here. First of all, any parent who cares about winning/losing at this age is an idiot. This age is about development. If the kids are learning and having fun, nobody should care about wins/losses.

That being said, I believe our team was up 3-0 when the RR boys started getting nasty and it was 5 or 6-0 when the punch was thrown and the game was called.

I never said RR encouraged rough play. I said the coaches looked like they wanted to be elsewhere... which means they were not giving a crap about what was happening on the field and created the environment for rough play.

As for "super stars" you are reading too much into it. At this age group any team will have separation of players where 2-3 kids will stand out and the rest will be "middle of pack". My point was RR did not have any standouts... which again goes back to the coaching. Take any 20 kids, a good coach should be able to develop all the players and 2-3 gifted athletes will start to emerge. With bad coaching, all the kids will be at the same level.

Rather than just being an advertisement for RR, you should offer some actual advice and knowledge.
                I’m not pro or con rough riders. But you seem to have made a lot of assumptions based on one game

Comment

I’m not pro or con rough riders. But you seem to have made a lot of assumptions based on one game
                  Based on dozens of games all 4 of my boys (ages 12-18) played in over the years. The game I described was just one example but indicative of RR recently vs RR my oldest boys played against some years ago.

My only suggestion to the OP is to just go to a practice and game to watch. They dont need me or some other TS poster to offer opinions. They will see all they need to see for themselves. I won't go so far as to advocate for any clubs but there are so many good options in LI.

RR may be fine for you but it's not everyone's cup of tea. Considering the options my brother has for his kids in CT, even RR on a bad day is better than what's available there. LI is very lucky to have so many choices. It's a good problem to have.

Comment

My kids have and will continue to play with RR in the Super Y. They have always had exceptional coaches who are also very good people. They would never, ever, EVER tolerate poor behavior, aggression, cursing, etc. I have seen kids misbehave and be benched. RR are kids that mostly come together from other teams for training and games. Bad behavior is a reflection on those kid's parents--not the coaches. If a coach tolerated or promoted it, then it's the coaches fault. Some kid who misbehaves at age 10 should not be used as a poster child for a program. My kids also play LISC now, through RR. It has been nothing but exceptional opportunities for them. But why take my anonymous word for it--or anyone else's for that matter? Go to an open practice and speak with coaches and other parents and let your kid see for his or her self.

Comment

Experience with rough riders Reply to Thread

My kids have and will continue to play with RR in the Super Y. They have always had exceptional coaches who are also very good people. They would never, ever, EVER tolerate poor behavior, aggression, cursing, etc. I have seen kids misbehave and be benched. RR are kids that mostly come together from other teams for training and games. Bad behavior is a reflection on those kid's parents--not the coaches. If a coach tolerated or promoted it, then it's the coaches fault. Some kid who misbehaves at age 10 should not be used as a poster child for a program. My kids also play LISC now, through RR. It has been nothing but exceptional opportunities for them. But why take my anonymous word for it--or anyone else's for that matter? Go to an open practice and speak with coaches and other parents and let your kid see for his or her self.
                      The RR organization are the nicest bunch of people I have met through the years. Both at the coaching level and the administration. They are always willing to help with any problems you may have.

Comment

Like I said, YOU have not been in the RR program. YOU are basing what you say on this one bad experience playing against a RR team.

Was it a Super Y team over the summer? They bring in kids to play that were not part of the year long program.

A Summer Select team? That is kids that only join for the summer.

Or was it in a tournament against the full year team? That's where my kids were.

Did you even know there was that many teams?

I have had two kids in the RR program for years and I know what I'm talking about. They are both older and have aged out of the program.

I guess that was your "expert opinion" that none of the kids were standouts because of the coaching. Talk about an assumption!

They are a quality organization that cares about the kids.

Comment

i think they are desperate for enrollment. they used to be the gold standard about 8 years ago, but have slipped through the years. Not sure if they were just concerned about bottom line, or really developing their kids. i know of many high level kids that were with them, including our own, and have moved on, and not because we aged out. some of it had to do with inconsistency with the training staff. all were great but couldn't seem to hold on to anyone for a long period.

good luck!

Comment

We have nothing but great things too say about the Rough Riders Organization...Trainors were great as well as the overall experience as well...The winter and summer programs are affordable with the opportunity to do tournaments as well...The Trainors (Most if not all have played professional in England) so my kids think they talk funny.

Unfortunately, I think they should have fielded teams for NYCSL and LIJSL...I think they missed the boat on this where other private clubs like KK, SUSA over the years have done this and have taken the better kids and created teams that compete on these two platforms...I think most people do not know of the super Y league.

Great organization regardless....I would recommend the RR for supplemental training to anyone, without question.

Comment

Does RR Pre academy team join winter league at RR ? also how is RR pre academy training ? Im sending my son to Pre academy or select team.. please let me know if you have experienced before :)

Comment

Does RR Pre academy team join winter league at RR ? also how is RR pre academy training ? Im sending my son to Pre academy or select team.. please let me know if you have experienced before :)

We did select training over the winter and summer...we had a great experience My son and I. He made friends that he still keeps in touch from other towns around LI (via fortnite) and great way for kids to begin networking :) and I still keep in touch with other parents.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X