Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Exactly how college is setup....if you cant produce, you wont see the field.
    I wonder if parents realize what they are walking into at XF in the older age groups.
    Their player needs to push out an established player. Hard core, friends. Hard core.

Comment

I wonder if parents realize what they are walking into at XF in the older age groups.
      Their player needs to push out an established player. Hard core, friends. Hard core.
      This happens at every club -- when the girls DA folded and players left Reign, there was a shake up at the older ages at all the major clubs. Every club will add a stronger player; some clubs will displace players just because they merely imagine the new blood will be better. XF just catches the heat because so many kids want to transfer in there all the time...

Comment

This happens at every club -- when the girls DA folded and players left Reign, there was a shake up at the older ages at all the major clubs. Every club will add a stronger player; some clubs will displace players just because they merely imagine the new blood will be better. XF just catches the heat because so many kids want to transfer in there all the time...
        You forget that there are protected players on every team. The manager's kid, the coach's
        kid, the college commits, big donors. Unless you are insider or have really good friends, nobody will tell you who is who. It is what it is.

XF is pretty fair about it about giving players a chance to prove themselves. XF catches
        heat b/c they overfill the roster and take kids mid-season. Roster is never locked, but
        caveat emptor. Shrug. Last one and we are almost done.

Comment

You forget that there are protected players on every team. The manager's kid, the coach's
          kid, the college commits, big donors. Unless you are insider or have really good friends, nobody will tell you who is who. It is what it is.

XF is pretty fair about it about giving players a chance to prove themselves. XF catches
          heat b/c they overfill the roster and take kids mid-season. Roster is never locked, but
          caveat emptor. Shrug. Last one and we are almost done.
          Trust me, I know and agree. One of my kids left soccer at 13 because she could read the room: "I want to be a leader on the team, but coach will never let that happen because _____ is the only one who gets to be a leader." _____ 's parent is a huge figure in the Seattle sports scene. That kid is now a college athlete in a different sport, so no lack of grit, work ethic, talent, but found the culture of another sport more welcoming. I have plenty of soccer stories but like you said, I feel like XF at least tries to be a meritocracy, but how you feel really depends on your personal experience at the club. I know folks who've left XF really bitter.

Comment

Trust me, I know and agree. One of my kids left soccer at 13 because she could read the room: "I want to be a leader on the team, but coach will never let that happen because _____ is the only one who gets to be a leader." _____ 's parent is a huge figure in the Seattle sports scene. That kid is now a college athlete in a different sport, so no lack of grit, work ethic, talent, but found the culture of another sport more welcoming. I have plenty of soccer stories but like you said, I feel like XF at least tries to be a meritocracy, but how you feel really depends on your personal experience at the club. I know folks who've left XF really bitter.
            These practices are so true. A team manager's kid is the weakest player on the squad, a relative of an bIg wig referee boss retains their spot indefinitely regardless of skill level, the big donor's kids get a free pass onto the top team, the parent spending $600/month on the private coaching bros in the same age group. Some clubs have "lax unwritten rules" on private coaching conflicts of interest If I knew then what I know now, I would've never encouraged my kid to play soccer.

Oh here's another perk:

Practice dates and times haven't been decided for summer yet, we will let families know the week of, so they can rearrange their whole fvkng summer around what works best for the coach.

I know, I know, I could always just quit and take my $5,000/ year with me. But is it too much to ask the gods of youth soccer to do the right thing?

Comment

These practices are so true. A team manager's kid is the weakest player on the squad, a relative of an bIg wig referee boss retains their spot indefinitely regardless of skill level, the big donor's kids get a free pass onto the top team, the parent spending $600/month on the private coaching bros in the same age group. Some clubs have "lax unwritten rules" on private coaching conflicts of interest If I knew then what I know now, I would've never encouraged my kid to play soccer.

Oh here's another perk:

Practice dates and times haven't been decided for summer yet, we will let families know the week of, so they can rearrange their whole fvkng summer around what works best for the coach.

I know, I know, I could always just quit and take my $5,000/ year with me. But is it too much to ask the gods of youth soccer to do the right thing?
              You need to be a monumental jerk to dump on team managers, all of whom volunteer hundreds of hours of time and answer endless questions from parents over the course of a year without expecting or asking for anything in return. Have rarely if ever seen a manager’s kid get any particular favors in terms of playing time, team placement, etc. Same, for that matter, for board members who generally likewise volunteer without expecting anything in return rather than spending their soccer-related bandwidth sh*posting on this site.

Comment

You need to be a monumental jerk to dump on team managers, all of whom volunteer hundreds of hours of time and answer endless questions from parents over the course of a year without expecting or asking for anything in return. Have rarely if ever seen a manager’s kid get any particular favors in terms of playing time, team placement, etc. Same, for that matter, for board members who generally likewise volunteer without expecting anything in return rather than spending their soccer-related bandwidth sh*posting on this site.
                Depends on the team manager. I know some good ones. Unfortunately, we're stuck with one who thinks he's the assistant coach, talks crap about every kid that isn't his, and continually manipulates the schedules so he can attend all 3 kids soccer matches and go to Sounders game or whatever he feels like doing that weekend. And all at the last minute, so I find out about every game 3-7 days in advance so we can't do anything else BUT soccer. I'm tired of being held hostage by this jerk's power trip. We seriously considered leaving the club because of him.

Comment

Oh here's another perk:

I posted the comment you responded to. I'm sorry you have such a bad team manager. WE've had some good ones. In the situation I referred to, the player was very talented, my daughter just correctly assessed that the coach was invested in sucking up to that player's parent, who was not the team manager but was a local "VIP"

Comment

Oh here's another perk:

For 5k, you might be able to just hire someone to occasionally pickup your kid, and a few others kids in the area, take them to a park, let them play and honestly that might be just as good a development than paying someone who honestly are so bad at soccer, they didn't make it pro.

Comment

For 5k, you might be able to just hire someone to occasionally pickup your kid, and a few others kids in the area, take them to a park, let them play and honestly that might be just as good a development than paying someone who honestly are so bad at soccer, they didn't make it pro.
                      An alternative that only costs a few hundred a year, great coaches too:

PSG YOUTH PROGRAMMING.

Ther are no serious programs before 7 yrs. of age. There are programs for 8 and 9 year olds that are heavily based upon “dribbling” and 3 v 3 games. By age u11, there are more serious 10-month programs for boys and girls. The club runs A and B teams in each age (and in some cases a “C”). It is important to note that ANY kid who can find a ride or get on a bus from ANY district of Paris will be placed on a team. Soccer is not the somewhat “affluent’ sport that it is here, and indeed, many players come from some of the tough ghetto areas of Paris. It costs $200 for the year. That’s it….all the travel /training/tournaments etc. are paid out of the Academy budget from the PSG parent club…which is to say several MILLION euros a year!

By age 13-15, the squads become “invitation only”, particularly with regard to the A-teams. Achieving high scores on both fitness and skills testing is necessary to move on, as is a “serious attitude” and “coachability”. By age 17, the very best are invited to turn PRO (or rather pre-pro) where they are paid as much as 5000Euro a month as a u-19.

PSG has no less than TEN (10) women players at the World Cup.PSG Academy has produced at least FIVE (5) of the current women’s pro team(this is actually a very high number for Academies in general).

COACHES: All coaches are highly qualified (each team has 2 plus an SC trainer) and the coaches range in age from 20 to 60 years. There are separate Goalkeeper Trainers and the keepers train apart from their teams until the last 20 minutes of a practice.

The only catch is that you need to move to Europe.

https://sports.bluesombrero.com/Defa...x?tabid=868998

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      Working...
                      X