Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reed baker-whiting

Which club did this kid come up through.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Which club did this kid come up through.

Seattle United. I guess the club with directors with D licenses and no fields can still develop players. /s

Comment

Seattle United. I guess the club with directors with D licenses and no fields can still develop players. /s
      Kyle, seriously, go take a licensing test. The coaches at Seattle United, the biggest club in the state by revenue and total members and they are pathetic. 1 ECNL team in first place for all the boys and girls. 7 age groups, boys and girls, they have one team sitting in first. The 2008 boys. On the girls side they are beyond pathetic.

Comment

And then the kid joined Sounders Academy for several years.

I don't know much about Kyle, but I do know that SU has lost many good coaches in the last few years: Jason Farrell, Ralph Black, Zahra Lechak, Pete, Lechak, David Griffiths, Ozzie Erkut to name a few. People move on for all kinds of reasons, including better opportunities, but it does seem like coach retention isn't great.

Comment

Congrats to this kid for getting some play time. If only for a few minutes.

It seems to me that our local clubs are a starting point for these players then Sounders academies take over and your chances of being a home grown player exponentially go up from the sounders academy vs staying a a large youth WA club. And of course we are only talking about 2-5 players coming up each year so not a statistically not a massive amount. It begs to start a conversation about who really developed the players. Was it the clubs and a foundation at a young age, was it that the kid just did tons of non club technical training while playing at the club. Or was it the sounders academy fully developed them through the most important years of growing combined with weeding out the ones that were not performing at the academy and these few were all that rose up. Or is it all just a crap shoot of luck and genetics.

Comment

What does licensing have to do with getting kids to the next level? Seen many A license coaches that can't develop players and many coaches with lesser resumes develop players

Comment

Regardless of Club or Coach, congrats to another Washington player!

Comment

What does licensing have to do with getting kids to the next level? Seen many A license coaches that can't develop players and many coaches with lesser resumes develop players
                There is truth in your statement. We had an A license coach for my son for a couple years and it was terrible. The team got worse. Kids quit. The soccer was visibly turning into over the top ball, team went from winning to losing consistently. We left after a couple years. Went to another team with an A licensed coach and it is great. We have also had zero license coaches that were brilliant earlier on.

The A license does not make a coach a better human. It does not make the coach understand kids better. It does not make the coach understand how to nurture development traits vs weed them out. The courses are more about time on task coaching and organization of practices, formation, drills, etc.

Here is a link to the descriptions of some courses.

https://learning.ussoccer.com/coach/.../6/course-info

I am not discounting the need for an A license at all. It is good information and some coaches need that foundational education. And it is alot of work and cost, so kudos to the coaches that go through it. But an A license alone does not make you a good coach. Two coaches can come out of the same A license program and one be great and one be terrible. It's like saying everyone who got a business degree in college is exactly the same. Yes, if your job requires a business degree you will at least hire someone with a business degree. But, after that box is checked you look for the right candidate that has the attributes your company needs. Same thing for coaches. You hope the club picked them correctly, but you as a parent need to pick the coach that fits your job description. Also you will see that clubs tend to pick coaches that think similarly to the director or other coaches. This in turn can create the overall club "style".

And finally there is just a lack of soccer culture in the US that provide good fundamentals for youth development. The emphasis, in WA at least, seems to still focus on hyper competitiveness, hyper aggressiveness, and being picked for top teams with those traits. When I see a resume of a coach, with any license, that says played in high school, played at US college X, played on a USL team, then coached. I think dangit here comes 1970s US aggressive hustle ball. Even to this day our kids are learning crap soccer and some of our kids will turn into the crap soccer US coaches of the future. So no matter what the education and license of the coach. If they bring a foundation of a good soccer culture with them it would make them a better coach when they get the A license. That's my 2 cents at least.

Comment

There is truth in your statement. We had an A license coach for my son for a couple years and it was terrible. The team got worse. Kids quit. The soccer was visibly turning into over the top ball, team went from winning to losing consistently. We left after a couple years. Went to another team with an A licensed coach and it is great. We have also had zero license coaches that were brilliant earlier on.

The A license does not make a coach a better human. It does not make the coach understand kids better. It does not make the coach understand how to nurture development traits vs weed them out. The courses are more about time on task coaching and organization of practices, formation, drills, etc.

I am not discounting the need for an A license at all. It is good information and some coaches need that foundational education. And it is alot of work and cost, so kudos to the coaches that go through it. But an A license alone does not make you a good coach. Two coaches can come out of the same A license program and one be great and one be terrible. It's like saying everyone who got a business degree in college is exactly the same. Yes, if your job requires a business degree you will at least hire someone with a business degree. But, after that box is checked you look for the right candidate that has the attributes your company needs. Same thing for coaches. You hope the club picked them correctly, but you as a parent need to pick the coach that fits your job description. Also you will see that clubs tend to pick coaches that think similarly to the director or other coaches. This in turn can create the overall club "style".

And finally there is just a lack of soccer culture in the US that provide good fundamentals for youth development. The emphasis, in WA at least, seems to still focus on hyper competitiveness, hyper aggressiveness, and being picked for top teams with those traits. When I see a resume of a coach, with any license, that says played in high school, played at US college X, played on a USL team, then coached. I think dangit here comes 1970s US aggressive hustle ball. Even to this day our kids are learning crap soccer and some of our kids will turn into the crap soccer US coaches of the future. So no matter what the education and license of the coach. If they bring a foundation of a good soccer culture with them it would make them a better coach when they get the A license. That's my 2 cents at least.

Well said

Comment

Good thoughts here, but lets talk about Reed Baker-Whiting

Comment

Kyle, seriously, go take a licensing test. The coaches at Seattle United, the biggest club in the state by revenue and total members and they are pathetic. 1 ECNL team in first place for all the boys and girls. 7 age groups, boys and girls, they have one team sitting in first. The 2008 boys. On the girls side they are beyond pathetic.
                      How about you find a hobby that isn't sitting on a computer demeaning kids and their efforts...

Comment

Good thoughts here, but lets talk about Reed Baker-Whiting
                        Dangit "you got me monologuing" - Syndrome

I watched his couple minute against LAFC in stoppage time. I wanted to post a link to his play here but couldn't find a clip.

Comment

How about you find a hobby that isn't sitting on a computer demeaning kids and their efforts...
                          How about you find a hobby that isn't sitting on a computer demeaning parents demeaning coaches demeaning kids and their efforts...

Lol I am not the poster you are replying to but I couldn't help myself with the sarcastic reply. :)

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X