Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    This just isn't true anymore. ODP is dead. If you play ECNL or GDA you get way more bang for your buck and it's been this way for years. The coaching at EPA ODP is bad!
    Nothing at ECNL or GDA means you are getting DI offers. Many kids at ECNL and GDA play in D2 or D3. ODP is another avenue to catch a coach's eye. Coaching at EPA ODP is not bad. But, to each his own. Worked well for my kid as far as additional training, training with other kids, traveling, learning to travel on your own.

Comment

West coast parent here. I have to disagree with you. The club does matter,
      even with ECNL or GDA. If your team is weak, they will never make it to
      the national playoffs where the coaches will be watching. There are
      showcases, but they are matched to relative strength. Of course, coaches
      recruit players, not clubs. But being on a good team is alot easier to be
      discovered versus being an excellent player on a bad team.

My dd is on relatively bad ECNL team, if you compared to the PDA or
      Slammers. She does ODP and CSP (formerly PDP) and she has to
      work extra hard to be noticed. Moving to another club means joining
      GDA which she will not give up hs school. So, this is how it is.
      You are lucky your dd plays for an ecnl team. Some are not so lucky and have to play in lesser leagues which are seen by no one.

It’s also not just the ecnl or da showcases and playoffs. Your dd may not play on the best ecnl team but during league play they may play a pda or slammers team a few times. All those coaches are now watching your dd team. Very good for your dd!

Comment

This is simply not true. My son who’s team never made the ecnl playoffs still got D1 offers and is playing d1 currently. How did that happen then? They get noticed at the showcases and playing at the highest level in the country.

I think odp is fine. It can help get you child noticed if they don’t play ecnl or da. If they are on a local team playing in the other leagues then odp is great.
        What RPI level D1 are you talking about and how much money did he get?
        Most of the top men's D1 players are from DA and international players.
        With the new 2 tiering of DA, the best players will be coming from Tier 1
        MLS linked DA teams. Boys ECNL is not the highest level. Not even close.
        If I had a son targeting for D1, I would use everything available, including
        ODP and CSP, if he can make it. The problem is dilution of talent across
        the various leagues, especially with girls. I do not trust ECNL or GDA
        to help my kid be noticed. If you want to take the gamble, be my guest.
        Good luck.

Comment

You are lucky your dd plays for an ecnl team. Some are not so lucky and have to play in lesser leagues which are seen by no one.

It’s also not just the ecnl or da showcases and playoffs. Your dd may not play on the best ecnl team but during league play they may play a pda or slammers team a few times. All those coaches are now watching your dd team. Very good for your dd!
          Yes ecnl is the best league on the girls side. Few will argue that. But odp is a great way to play more ball and possibly get noticed. You can play over seas too with odp. Ecnl and odp together will definitely help increase your chances.

Comment

Yes ecnl is the best league on the girls side. Few will argue that. But odp is a great way to play more ball and possibly get noticed. You can play over seas too with odp. Ecnl and odp together will definitely help increase your chances.
            I can out my kids rec team I to an overseas tournament .... Same as odp .... We just have to pay a fortune for plane tickets and hotels.

Comment

Good luck.
              gamble? what is your path?

Comment

Good luck.
                MOST of DI men's players are from DA, not all. NPL for guys is very good and ECNL is getting there.

Comment

I can out my kids rec team I to an overseas tournament .... Same as odp .... We just have to pay a fortune for plane tickets and hotels.
                  True. But your kids rec team may not play the same teams over the other side of the pond. And, ODP region teams play top international teams. Not normally getting that with your rec league, pick out of a brochure international games.

When my kid did it, towns came out to watch the her team because the Americans were playing their club. It was really cool to see the stands packed for youth soccer. Then, then the kids dined with the other team at their club houses (which are mini versions of the pro footieball club houses) and learned about their culture.

And you pointed out another thing, the travel costs are not outrageous if you go through your state or regional ODP.

Comment

True. But your kids rec team may not play the same teams over the other side of the pond. And, ODP region teams play top international teams. Not normally getting that with your rec league, pick out of a brochure international games.

When my kid did it, towns came out to watch the her team because the Americans were playing their club. It was really cool to see the stands packed for youth soccer. Then, then the kids dined with the other team at their club houses (which are mini versions of the pro footieball club houses) and learned about their culture.

And you pointed out another thing, the travel costs are not outrageous if you go through your state or regional ODP.
                    That is a cool experience. Odp is usually around $1,000 a year?

Comment

Ahem, I will argue about ECNL being the best league on the girls side. GDA is also very good. NONE of them are top any more. A few years ago, ECNL was the place to be. Then the first year of GDA was the place to be. Now, it's ALL watered down.

Just go to the league that works best for you (GDA, ECNL, USYS), your daughter and your family. Then, you can't go wrong.

I do agree though, ECNL coupled with ODP can't hurt. Good luck!

Comment

Ahem, I will argue about ECNL being the best league on the girls side. GDA is also very good. NONE of them are top any more. A few years ago, ECNL was the place to be. Then the first year of GDA was the place to be. Now, it's ALL watered down.

Just go to the league that works best for you (GDA, ECNL, USYS), your daughter and your family. Then, you can't go wrong.

I do agree though, ECNL coupled with ODP can't hurt. Good luck!
                        Yes I agree that’s a good combination. Thank you.

Comment

Yes I agree that’s a good combination. Thank you.
                          ECNL with ODP does hurt! There is no need to do ODP when you play ECNL and it is too much on the player. Players playing ECNL get more then enough training sessions and games. Foolish to do both, that is why there has been a massive drop-off in the level of play and talent in ODP.

Comment

ECNL with ODP does hurt! There is no need to do ODP when you play ECNL and it is too much on the player. Players playing ECNL get more then enough training sessions and games. Foolish to do both, that is why there has been a massive drop-off in the level of play and talent in ODP.
                            THis guy or gal again! Jeesh. Toolbags.

Do whatever you want. USYS, only; USYS & ODP; ECNL, only; ECNL & ODP; and GDA (no ODP allowed). Additional training never hurts and there has been a massive drop-off in level of play and talent in USYS, ECNL & GDA as well. There is not one league, ODP included, that has a lock on the talent anymore.

But, additional training with coaches that are connected, are college coaches and give recommendations in the soccer world never hurts.

And actually, it's how they network. Hey did you see this kid; go check out that kid (they can't directly coach their recruits).

Comment

Oh and if you and or your kid is a problem or diva/uncoachable, that gets around too.

Comment

THis guy or gal again! Jeesh. Toolbags.

Do whatever you want. USYS, only; USYS & ODP; ECNL, only; ECNL & ODP; and GDA (no ODP allowed). Additional training never hurts and there has been a massive drop-off in level of play and talent in USYS, ECNL & GDA as well. There is not one league, ODP included, that has a lock on the talent anymore.

But, additional training with coaches that are connected, are college coaches and give recommendations in the soccer world never hurts.

And actually, it's how they network. Hey did you see this kid; go check out that kid (they can't directly coach their recruits).
                                On the girls side there really is only two leagues for high level play. ODP is died years ago. Time for you to adjust.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X