Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ODP - worth it or not?

My son did ODP this year, and we're not sure whether to do it next year or not. What was your experience with it this year? Can you please specify what gender and age group when replying.

It depends on the level of club soccer your kid plays on. NPL or below, probably worth it. Anyone ECNL, DA, and possibly National League it is not worth the money. They take anyone that signs up so if you are an elite player, you are paying for mediocre coaching with even more mediocre talent.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      It depends on the level of club soccer your kid plays on. NPL or below, probably worth it. Anyone ECNL, DA, and possibly National League it is not worth the money. They take anyone that signs up so if you are an elite player, you are paying for mediocre coaching with even more mediocre talent.
      If your kid is DA you cant do ODP. If your kid is ECNL the quality of play will be less than what they are used to, but a handful of ecnl players will also play odp. There are some mediocre players accepted. This is because not all the best players participate. The coaching is fine. The real issue with odp is the expense.

Make the team.. write a check
      Uniform... write a check
      Make the regional team ... write a check
      Go to camp... write a check
      Win some games and advance... write a check
      Go on the European trip... write a check
      etc.. etc...

It ends up being a ton of $ for a little amount of soccer being played with and against mostly average players, with a few exceptions.

My advice.. sit out the first year see who makes the team and then decide if you want to spend $5k so your daughter can play with them the following year. Your kid is really better off in ecnl or da

Comment

ODP used to be for the elite players who wanted more of a challenge. It was looked at when applying to colleges and at one time was super competitive. At this point it is a money grab. They have so many different areas that it is being offered. Probably most competitive area is the one for Philadelphia area, Lehigh valley and Wilkes barre don’t have as many girls trying out. You don’t have the best of the best anymore. You are better having your child play on a competitive travel soccer program. When they are a little older ECNL would probably be looked at in the same way ODP was once looked at. Not worth the money.

Comment

Can you tell us more of your experience?

My son did ODP this year, and we're not sure whether to do it next year or not. What was your experience with it this year? Can you please specify what gender and age group when replying.
          Can you tell us more about your son's experience? What are your concerns about doing it again?

Comment

Which year and region he play for this past year?

Comment

Can you tell us more about your son's experience? What are your concerns about doing it again?
              The coaching was not good. Often it was too easy and something better suited to a younger player. I'm not sure it was worth the money. We could have got more from going to one of the training facilities

Comment

The coaching is good. I don't know what this guy is talking about. My kid used it as additional training. It helped and was cheaper than independent training. Plus a good amount of college scouts at showcases. And made some great friends and connections with local coaches that also have connections for college.

Nothing is one size fits all. It's whatever you and your family want to get out of it.

Comment

Did your kid make it to the travel team, did he make it to regional
                  pool, and did he go to interregional?

If so, you wouldn't be asking this question. If not, there's your answer.

Comment

Anyone know why they put “Olympic” (ODP) in the description of this training program? I always kind of found that funny.

Comment

Ok. Give us the breakdown of ODP. Your kid makes the Eastern Pa team, what other tryouts do they face? At what point do you think it is worth it? (I’m not the original poster)

Comment

Ok. Give us the breakdown of ODP. Your kid makes the Eastern Pa team, what other tryouts do they face? At what point do you think it is worth it? (I’m not the original poster)
                        It’s just extra touches. Nothing more than that. It’s worth it if your kid likes it.

Comment

My daughter did ODP Philadelphia 06 and it was not a good experience for us. The head coach didn't attend all the tryouts. He then was there at only a few practices, until he was no longer listed as a coach. Not sure if he chose to leave or was fired - we didn't get any notification letting us know that he was no longer involved. The practices were mediocre, and too easy for this caliber of player and/or age. This caused attendance to go down markedly as the year went on.

Regional camp was also disappointing. The camp was last Wednesday until this past Sunday. Everyone in this part of the country knew we were about to have a heatwave, but there weren't any back-up plans for the weather and the limits on how much and when they could play outside. Instead of playing three times a day (practice or game), they played once or twice a day at most. There should have been accommodations made for them to train and/or play inside, even if they had to travel by bus

Comment

My daughter did ODP Philadelphia 06 and it was not a good experience for us. The head coach didn't attend all the tryouts. He then was there at only a few practices, until he was no longer listed as a coach. Not sure if he chose to leave or was fired - we didn't get any notification letting us know that he was no longer involved. The practices were mediocre, and too easy for this caliber of player and/or age. This caused attendance to go down markedly as the year went on.

Regional camp was also disappointing. The camp was last Wednesday until this past Sunday. Everyone in this part of the country knew we were about to have a heatwave, but there weren't any back-up plans for the weather and the limits on how much and when they could play outside. Instead of playing three times a day (practice or game), they played once or twice a day at most. There should have been accommodations made for them to train and/or play inside, even if they had to travel by bus
                            ODP = Over Determined Parents

Comment

ODP = Over Determined Parents
                              * Overly Determined Parents

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X