Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I am not complaining. Just saying that it is on par with most other places.

Who has access to the nicer facilities? If you are on the west side of town and are not a part of Westside and THUSC then good luck with getting field time.

The Timbers training facility in Beaverton is really nice also, but who is training there?
    Aloha United, and the various THJSL rec clubs, also have access to THPRD fields; THPRD doesn't make it's fields accessible to clubs without a substantial presence in the district.

At any rate--what sort of facilities, beyond a pitch to play on (turf with lights in the winter is the bottleneck; plenty of grass fields are available in the summer) do most clubs need?

A clubhouse? A weight room? A private futsal court (rather than booking time at the Y or RCF)? Most local clubs don't have the staff to take advantage of these things. Westside, for instance, keeps its fees relatively low (and offers a LOT of financial aid) precisely because it DOESN'T own a pile of real estate; it gets its fields from Beaverton School District and THPRD, leases a tiny office next door to a flea market in Beaverton, and presumably has a storage unit somewhere to keep gear. But a weight room isn't helpful unless you have a personal trainer on staff to supervise it.

The lack of a facility like 60 Acres or Starfire makes it harder for organizers of local tournaments, who have to spread matches all over the place rather than having one central venue. (The Mount Hood Challenge is the most extreme example of this, with matches being played literally everywhere in the metro area, from Wilsonville to Salmon Creek and from Hillsboro to Gresham).

But training activities don't require much in the way of infrastructure.

Comment

Hilarious that people are in here complaining about having more places to play for more crappy clubs.

The quality is bad across the board. The fields are good. And you want to improve the fields. Got it.

Comment

Hilarious that people are in here complaining about having more places to play for more crappy clubs.

The quality is bad across the board. The fields are good. And you want to improve the fields. Got it.
        One thing we all can agree on is that Portland has a uniquely bad pro academy that so happens to run state leagues and tournaments.

Guess if we want to fix things in Oregon that would be a place to start.

Good luck with that by the way.

Comment

Aloha United, and the various THJSL rec clubs, also have access to THPRD fields; THPRD doesn't make it's fields accessible to clubs without a substantial presence in the district.

At any rate--what sort of facilities, beyond a pitch to play on (turf with lights in the winter is the bottleneck; plenty of grass fields are available in the summer) do most clubs need?

A clubhouse? A weight room? A private futsal court (rather than booking time at the Y or RCF)? Most local clubs don't have the staff to take advantage of these things. Westside, for instance, keeps its fees relatively low (and offers a LOT of financial aid) precisely because it DOESN'T own a pile of real estate; it gets its fields from Beaverton School District and THPRD, leases a tiny office next door to a flea market in Beaverton, and presumably has a storage unit somewhere to keep gear. But a weight room isn't helpful unless you have a personal trainer on staff to supervise it.

The lack of a facility like 60 Acres or Starfire makes it harder for organizers of local tournaments, who have to spread matches all over the place rather than having one central venue. (The Mount Hood Challenge is the most extreme example of this, with matches being played literally everywhere in the metro area, from Wilsonville to Salmon Creek and from Hillsboro to Gresham).

But training activities don't require much in the way of infrastructure.
          You really don't have much of an idea of how THPRD allocates their fields.

I agree, you don't need much for training activities. My point is what we have is not any better than what others are working with. It is nice to have a large facility for tournaments, but the lack of this should not affect the quality of clubs in Oregon.

Finally, you don't need much, but you do need lights to train for at least 6 months of the year in Oregon.

Comment

Not OP, but have you seen what Crossfire has access to in Washington, or the facilities some of the Texas clubs have (where land is cheep)? There are a handful of clubs in this area with decent facilities, but they pail in comparison to what some of the super clubs in this country have.

Will let you 2 argue over local coaching v. everywhere else - seems impossible to prove one way or another.
            I have seen what Crossfire has access to in Washington. They train at Marymoor, Grasslawn, and Redmond HS. Similar to clubs in Oregon they have to fight with HS sports teams, adult rec leagues, other kids sports for field space.

What super clubs and super facilities are you referring to?

Comment

You really don't have much of an idea of how THPRD allocates their fields.

I agree, you don't need much for training activities. My point is what we have is not any better than what others are working with. It is nice to have a large facility for tournaments, but the lack of this should not affect the quality of clubs in Oregon.

Finally, you don't need much, but you do need lights to train for at least 6 months of the year in Oregon.
              Inform me then.

Last I looked, which was several years ago when THUSC was objecting that THPRD was giving preferential treatment to Westside, district policy is that a) rec clubs get first priority (being open to all and thus more "community focused"), and b) nonprofit classic clubs get second priority. WT and THUSC routinely share field access, and often "rotate" among the facilities--one week we might get Walker Road or MVCP (yay), the next week Powerlines (boo).

Of course, I'm just a parent, and bring the DS where I'm told.

And keep in mind, in the spring many of the fields are also shared with lacrosse, and some soccer fields are located in the outfield of baseball diamonds and are used for baseball in springtime.

Comment

Inform me then.

Last I looked, which was several years ago when THUSC was objecting that THPRD was giving preferential treatment to Westside, district policy is that a) rec clubs get first priority (being open to all and thus more "community focused"), and b) nonprofit classic clubs get second priority. WT and THUSC routinely share field access, and often "rotate" among the facilities--one week we might get Walker Road or MVCP (yay), the next week Powerlines (boo).

Of course, I'm just a parent, and bring the DS where I'm told.

And keep in mind, in the spring many of the fields are also shared with lacrosse, and some soccer fields are located in the outfield of baseball diamonds and are used for baseball in springtime.

Only 2 competitive clubs (Westside and THUSC) are allowed to rent fields from THPRD.

Someone mentioned Aloha United in an earlier post. That is Aloha United's rec side. THJSL

THPRD manages most of the fields in the Beaverton area. My initial point is that there may be nice facilities in Oregon, but unless your are part of Westside or THUSC, you will not be able to use or rent the field. It does not matter if your non profit club is made up mostly of in district members. Bridlemile and FC Portland cannot not rent THPRD fields. Since we are talking about the nicer fields, I am talking about the turf fields only in the area.

I don't know how many THJSL teams use the turf fields. I have only seen Westside and THPRD use them. PCC teams sometimes use the PCC fields before 5PM, but once 5PM hits, it is all THUSC and Westside.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                Working...
                X